ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   5000 Completions!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154881)

the Talking Can 12-21-2006 11:01 PM

you don't have Elway in the top 7?

Under Dan Fouts?

holy mother

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
You, my friend, are a dumbass.

So who should not be on that list then??

the Talking Can 12-21-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
If Montana played on the Fins all those years, the Dolphins might be known for winning Superbowls, and not for being post-season chokers.

fatality

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
you don't have Elway in the top 7?

Under Dan Fouts?

holy mother

Elgay is not on my top 10. Fouts was twice the passer of Elgay.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
Favre
Marino
Montana
Baugh
Unitas
Graham
Fouts

ROFL

I get it. You hate Elway and the Broncos and refuse to give him his due.

No skin off my back. It's not like I'm sitting here clueless as to where Elway fits in NFL history.

2112 12-21-2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

At throwing for over 60,000 yards and 420 TD's for a team that had average wideouts, crappy defense, and no running game.

If Montana had played for the Fins all those years-nobody would remember him. Put Marino on the 49ers and he would have 70,000 yards and at least 6 SB's.

Montana actually was a very mobile QB before he hurt his back in the mid 80's..he was one of the greatests at eluding a rusher that i've ever seen..thats not in the stats though..Montana also had no running game when they won their first superbowl in 82..he had HOF rb bill ring as his feature back..

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
I think that's all anybody needs to know about your perspective in this discussion.

There's no doubt Marino had a great arm.

He was about as mobile as a fire hydrant though, and because of it, his team was forced to use all of their team resources to protect him.

Marino doesn't even approach Montana in the GOAT discussion without addressing him as "Sir."

So is Manning mobile, was Montana-give me a break. Joe had to pad his stats in KC, or the SB would be all he had. If you are just going by SB wins-put Bradshaw in there. Does Brady get the nod now because of his outstanding postseason??

thedude 12-21-2006 11:08 PM

Favre is/was better than Elway.

The thing about Favre is he combines everything from every great qb. He has the stats to play with Marino, the title to go up against Montana, Elway et al.

The best point made has been the poster who said he will have a bust in canton is all that matters. True dat.

Deberg_1990 12-21-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Elgay is not on my top 10. Fouts was twice the passer of Elgay.

I hate Elway as much as the next guy, but he was fantastic in the clutch, was mobile and had a cannon for an arm.

Hes easily top 5. Maybe top 3

milkman 12-21-2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

So who should not be on that list then??

Favre might be in the top 5, but he sure as hell isn't the best.

And Baugh sure as hell isn't top 5.

And as much as I dislike the man, Elway took 3 Donkey teams with even less talent that Marino's Dolphins to the SB.

He didn't win 'em, but he got them there.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:13 PM

Dan Marino put great stats into the record books. John Elway put mediocre teams into the Superbowl.

That's all I need to know about the Dan/John debate.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:14 PM

If you want to talk about pure talent-how can Slingin Sammy Baugh be off your guys list.

He won Championships, held 11 passing records, plus played Punter and Cornerback. In 1943 led the league in passing, punting and interceptions-a triple crown.

His 51.4 punting average is still a record plus he complete 70 percent of his passes in 45. QBs were not pampered like they are today.

Montana never did that.

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

Elgay in the top 5 are you high. Brett blows his stats away. Montana never had the heart our arm of Favre-he played on a great team.

Marino has to be number 2.

you are wrong on the heart of Montana. Montana did not have the arm of most of the top 30 qb's of all time, but he had more heart than most of them. With all due respect halfcan, stick to what made you famous...YouTube - Rush 2112

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
I hate Elway as much as the next guy, but he was fantastic in the clutch, was mobile and had a cannon for an arm.

Hes easily top 5. Maybe top 3

And got choked in SB's. 55-10 to San Fran.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

If you want to talk about pure talent-how can Slingin Sammy Baugh be off your guys list.

He won Championships, held 11 passing records, plus played Punter and Cornerback. In 1943 led the league in passing, punting and interceptions-a triple crown.

His 51.4 punting average is still a record plus he complete 70 percent of his passes in 45. QBs were not pampered like they are today.

Montana never did that.

A quarterback in 1943 would be lucky to make the practice squad in 2006. They drew plays in the dirt back then. They install offenses in the offseason now.

You might as well be comparing a rugby player to a football player. You're practically talking about different sports when you compare the pre-superbowl era players to the post-superbowl era, especially when you start throwing punting records into the mix.

God love 'em for paving the way. But it's a different sport now.