ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Wars Episode VII SPOILERS thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=288201)

Ragged Robin 11-09-2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 11094827)
Excellent point. They had some good actors/actresses in the prequels who preformed horribly. Some of it was the shitty dialouge, but I think the green screen may have been a big part as well.

Ewan McGregor (the only actor in the prequels who actually gave a damn in his performance) was pretty vocal about his frustrations on the set filming green screen 24/7. The real failure of the prequels was Lucas being a jaded old ****er completely out of touch with storytelling and directing which was primarily the reason for the lazy sets and "walk slowly across the screen while talking // sit down and talk" reocurring format scene after scene

Hammock Parties 11-09-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 Chief (Post 11094825)
I know you beg to differ, but I LOVED what he did with ST the first time out.

I mean, I actually WANTED to see a ST movie for the 1st time since 1980.

Star Trek was good.

ST: ID was shitty.

keg in kc 11-09-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 11094818)
Abrams also demanded that tons of real creature effects be used, just like the old films.

Tons and tons of location shooting.

Shit is gonna be so tight. I am gonna have to drive to ****ing Olathe just to see it on IMAX.

I'm catching up on the desolation of smaug right now, missed it in theaters, and aside from the way it's been bloated with bullshit to stretch 2 movies into a trilogy what really stands out to me is just how overdone and obvious the cgi is. It's like Peter Jackson is following in Lucas' prequel footsteps and making the movies too much about fluff and cool visuals instead of making something that, while still fantastical, looks and feels visceral and real and makes you feel like you're there and part of what's happening. The fellowship had that, but it seems like the more Jackson does, the further he gets from that initial magic, and each ensuing movie, in the hobbit trilogy at least, feels increasingly sterile and empty. It makes me sad.

Which is why I was and am so excited to hear about how practical ep 7 has been, from the start, as well as the focus on mcquarrie's designs. The world needs to be dirty and worn, lived-in. Of course that won't make everything work if the script blows, but it's the right start, and it gives me hope.

Bowser 11-09-2014 12:11 AM

Pretty sure it's been posted around here somewhere....there's an interview with Viggo Mortensen where he basically flames Jackson for his use of CGI in the last two LotR movies, and especially how he's gone so heavy with it in the Hobbit films. I think there's something to that, which is why I am curious/excited to see what Abrams does with Ep. VII and his "old school" approach with it.

keg in kc 11-09-2014 12:25 AM

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say, as well.

GordonGekko 11-09-2014 12:25 AM

I posted this in the Fail thread, but I think it has a place here as well.

13:38 mark in this video...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oAVCaUonrbE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties 11-12-2014 10:25 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2Ll3KVIEAA9Sr5.png

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-12-2014 10:27 AM

Spooky.

Hammock Parties 11-12-2014 10:31 AM

http://s26.postimg.org/a0ol50gvd/Luke_1.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-12-2014 11:02 AM

Does he got the "yellow eye"?

Kiimo 11-13-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 Chief (Post 11105683)
Does he got the "yellow eye"?

Everything I've read and all indications seem to suggest that Luke won't be dark side. Frankly I think that's too easy anyway. I think he's something else. Like a batshit hermit with way too much power that scared him so much he went into hiding.

It's like the best ****ing story idea ever. About a hundred times better than marrying Mara Jade or some shit. I love it and I think Mark Hamill is going to chew scenery like crazy.

Hammock Parties 11-13-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 11107961)
It's like the best ****ing story idea ever. About a hundred times better than marrying Mara Jade or some shit. I love it and I think Mark Hamill is going to chew scenery like crazy.

It's the perfect role for Mark in many ways.

He's not a leading man and it would have been a mistake to try and make him play a part like that in his old age.

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2014 04:12 PM

Hamill's part in the new trilogy hasn't been fully revealed but too many sources are reporting that he's "Gone into hiding" due to his ever growing power of The Force.

I don't believe the reports that he's been in hiding for 30 years and think that 10 years appears more likely.

He's also supposedly "changed" by the end of the film but I don't think that has anything to do with crossing over to the Dark side of The Force.

Amnorix 11-13-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11093754)
Agreed on the goofy saber. Doesn't seem practical or realistic (and yes I know we're talking about ****ing lightsabers here).

A hilt that would kill or maim you? Why not?!?

Yeah, it's dumb.

Fire Me Boy! 11-13-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11108220)
Hamill's part in the new trilogy hasn't been fully revealed but too many sources are reporting that he's "Gone into hiding" due to his ever growing power of The Force.

I don't believe the reports that he's been in hiding for 30 years and think that 10 years appears more likely.

He's also supposedly "changed" by the end of the film but I don't think that has anything to do with crossing over to the Dark side of The Force.

I've heard he turns into the Joker by the end.