ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tech sector geeks: is the proposed Nextel/Sprint merger a good thing? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=106106)

morphius 12-10-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
Yeah, Sprint leaving KC would also lead to Block, HNTB, Bibb & Associates, and a host of other headquartered Fortune 500/1000 companies leaving. :rolleyes:

Or did I just forget to put on my 'drama queen' undies today?

How many fortune 500 companies are HQ'd in KC?

Well it destroy the city, heck no, but it wouldn't be replaced anytime soon either.

jynni 12-10-2004 12:57 PM

Quote:

You must not live near the campus. How stupid is it that coverage drops at pretty much every major intersection near the CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS?!
I've worked at the Campus for almost four years and have never had a problem with coverage or dropped calls. I also spend a great deal of time shopping in the Town Center area and have never had a problem.

I don't understand why people think coverage should be so good on and around the campus. Given that more than 10K people work there and probably about half have Sprint phones, it's gonna clog the network. Also when you consider the general cell phone use in Johnson county, it's a miracle that anyone call complete a call.

As for bad management, intra office politics and such, I have encounted the same type of stuff at every single place I've worked. From the IRS to Pottery Barn to Worlds of Fun.

Sprint has some of the better phones - try to stay with the Sanyo ones though, they are they best. Samsung seems to be hit and miss although they seem to be better as of late.

KC Jones 12-10-2004 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius
How many fortune 500 companies are HQ'd in KC?

Well it destroy the city, heck no, but it wouldn't be replaced anytime soon either.

2, and Sprint is one of them. KC will take a major step backwards once Sprint finally deals with their flailing business and has massive layoffs. I seriously doubt they leave the OP campus altogether though.

I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop at Sprint for a while now. I will most likely accelerate my plans to go from consulting to a perm position with this on the horizon.

BTW, the other one is Farmland IIRC

OOPs - I thought HRB and IBC didn't make the list this year but according to wikipedia they are on the 2004 list. So we have 4 in the area.

Saulbadguy 12-10-2004 01:07 PM

So which one will be the bitch and which one will be the butch?

KC Jones 12-10-2004 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
So which one will be the bitch and which one will be the butch?

Sprint had 26Billion in revenue to Nextel's 10, so probably Sprint.

StcChief 12-10-2004 01:23 PM

Sounds like a good merger to me.
I have had Nextel for 3 years. Great coverage, Cust serv.

The phones are industructable. Really double cased Motorala's . Since Motorola invested heavy in the network.

The future Nextel network upgrade could be interesting for customers

Had Sprint before good luck there. Phones were iffy.

Verizon was a POS for coverage and service.

HC_Chief 12-10-2004 01:48 PM

115th & Metcalf = dead spot (that's an entrance to the campus, BTW)
College & Antioch = dead spot
College & Nall = dead spot

Phone = Sanyo SCP-5150

I worked there for two years... every person in my group had calls drop in the same area(s). Rumor has it former CEO Esrey had a relay installed in his attic because he couldn't get shit for coverage. 50% of the drive to Des Moines = analog roam.

Sprint's coverage network sucks. I'm switching as soon as my contract expires (probably T-Mobile or Cingular... friends with those report much better/wider coverage areas with less roaming & fewer drops)

Besides, Sprint is run by fuqtards.

BigRedChief 12-10-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones
Sprint had 26Billion in revenue to Nextel's 10, so probably Sprint.

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kan....121004.cs.jpg

YeaH I don't see how Sprint can be anything but the big dog here in this deal.

beavis 12-10-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
Sprint is the engine that powers the KC economy. We are not just talking about 35k losing their jobs we are talking about the other jobs being lost where those 35 k spend their sprint money. All the local companies that supply sprint with the supplies it needs. Sprint leaving would devestate the KC economy.

Geez, a little dramatic are we? I think overestimate the influence one company has on a substantial metropolitan area. Besides, you are probably getting in a tizzy over nothing. I doubt there would be a ton of jobs lost over this. Sprint is the one doing the buying here.

beavis 12-10-2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Jones
2, and Sprint is one of them. KC will take a major step backwards once Sprint finally deals with their flailing business and has massive layoffs. I seriously doubt they leave the OP campus altogether though.

20k over the course of two years, almost 25% of their workforce isn't massive layoffs?

HC_Chief 12-10-2004 02:05 PM

lol, no doubt.

Sprint = big-name corporation that brings big bucks to Overland Park (KC Metro), but they aren't the only game in town... not by a long shot. Hell, I'd wager over half the IT pros in KC have worked for Sprint at one time or another.... and no longer work for them.

Sprint is a high-tech company run by myopic morons. If ever there were a 'top-heavy' corporation, Sprint is it.

beavis 12-10-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

Sprint is a high-tech company run by myopic morons. If ever there were a 'top-heavy' corporation, Sprint is it.

The people that are there now (I'm sure you know who I'm talking about) are just hatchet men. They aren't in it for the long haul. Just whack as many heads as possible without a glut of lawsuits, collect their golden parachute, and get the **** out.

HC_Chief 12-10-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
The people that are there now (I'm sure you know who I'm talking about) are just hatchet men. They aren't in it for the long haul. Just whack as many heads as possible without a glut of lawsuits, collect their golden parachute, and get the **** out.

Sure, and why not? Esrey embezzled how many millions? And then they gave him a HUGE multi-million dollar 'retirement package'?! :spock:

If it weren't for foresight in the 70s, that company would be long-dead by now. (foresight being the all-fiber network they installed, nation-wide)

BigRedChief 12-10-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis
Geez, a little dramatic are we? I think overestimate the influence one company has on a substantial metropolitan area. Besides, you are probably getting in a tizzy over nothing. I doubt there would be a ton of jobs lost over this. Sprint is the one doing the buying here.

You have your opinion and the economist's in the KC area have another.

beavis 12-10-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Sure, and why not? Esrey embezzled how many millions? And then they gave him a HUGE multi-million dollar 'retirement package'?! :spock:

If it weren't for foresight in the 70s, that company would be long-dead by now. (foresight being the all-fiber network they installed, nation-wide)

The life an executive must be rough. :rolleyes: