ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The rising Kawika Mitchell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107202)

Mr. Kotter 12-25-2004 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Say it isn't so. I can't imagine that would be the case.

He isn't DENYING it.... :hmmm:

philfree 12-25-2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

Kawika has got talent, why it was taking him so long to come to terms is beyond me.
He was hampered by injury last year and then with very few snaps in pratice and fewer in games. That was GRobs scheme. This year he's suffered from the injury bug again while trying to learn a new scheme. Since Mitchell has been back a starter he's gotten better every game. To me Mitchell has just now had the chance to grow and it seems to me he's taking advantage of it. He's on schedule IMO.

PhilFree :arrow:

Mr. Kotter 12-26-2004 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree
He was hampered by injury last year and then with very few snaps in pratice and fewer in games. That was GRobs scheme. This year he's suffered from the injury bug again while trying to learn a new scheme. Since Mitchell has been back a starter he's gotten better every game. To me Mitchell has just now had the chance to grow and it seems to me he's taking advantage of it. He's on schedule IMO.

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I agree....we may have someone besides Fujita and Biesel (and Barber?) worth keeping for next year.

Sure-Oz 12-26-2004 12:43 AM

He has looked better the last few games. We still need to add talent but the D is looking a little better I will admit. I guess we can use this as a positive for next season, but we still need to ADD to it!

royr17 12-26-2004 01:20 AM

No guys i've seen dramatic improvement in Mitchell this year, but Scanlon has talent and we wont get to see his talent until we blow out a team and he gets on the field and the coaches give him a chance. The chiefs will keep him around, they love his potential and he will be the backup MLB in 05 or starter if he tears it up in training camp and preseason.

The guy could be a very good MLB.

Gaz 12-26-2004 07:34 AM

Yep, good game...

Mitchell has improved quite a bit. I am not convinced that he is starting MLB material, but I am more than willing for him to prove me wrong.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking his improvement where he can find it.

Marcellus 12-26-2004 09:39 AM

Mitchell has been one of the weekest links in our D this year. When Beisel got hurt and Mitchell came in to play the middle, things really went south.

He has looked better lately but that is very subjective. I didn't see him over run a hole right into someone to block him or run right past a running back. That is improvement. It will take more than 2 or 3 games to make me believe he is a playmaker. I think MLB should be a priority this off season.

ROYC75 12-26-2004 10:39 AM

Again, improvement has been a long time coming, right when the season is over. Back to back games is a positive, but a career it does not make.

Dave Lane 12-26-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz
He has looked better the last few games. We still need to add talent but the D is looking a little better I will admit. I guess we can use this as a positive for next season, but we still need to ADD to it!

Hey the putrid lowly Raider put 30 on us yesterday. Yes we scored 31 but this team needs help badly on D. And Bartee must die. (offical Bartee Hater)

Dave

TRR 12-26-2004 11:45 AM

Kawika Mitchell is absolutely horrible. I guess you could say in the last few weeks, Mitchell went from horrible to terrible, but he does nothing well. Mitchell can't tackle, his timed blitzes are horrible, he gets beat in pass coverage, and if a lead blocker gets on him, he's done.

Mitchell gives us a little bit of range at the MLB position, but that's about it. It's pretty bad when Monty Beisel, who had been moved to every position besides CB, can come in and make more plays at MLB early in the season than Mitchell has all season.

KM has a long way to go. If we don't upgrade at MLB, we are going to be hurting because we just aren't good enough at DT to keep FB's and guards off our MLB. Sims and Dalton get good pressure, but they aren't the greatest against the run. Hopefully Siavii can bring that run stuffing ability next season.

I like Mitchell as a backup.

bricks 12-26-2004 11:52 AM

Kawika has definately improved these last couple of games. I only wish, it wasn't nearing the end of the season. I'd rather have it being the middle of the season. Reason I say this, is cause, I see some growth and maturity in him latley, and I would've liked to see him play 5 or 6 more games to see him improve more and to see what he can really do. Anyway, I'm still not sold on our LBer's at all, I'm all for keeping some of them, like Mitchell, Beisel, Fox, or Scanlon. I would still like to see some off-season additions at the LB positions.
i.e., Kendrell Bell, Will Witherspoon, Brian Simmons, Ed Hartwell. Don't let anything deceive you guys, we still need some LBer's.

RINGLEADER 12-26-2004 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatCheese
Green didn't start playing better until he got some talent around him. Mitchell has shit all to work with around him.

Agree completely.

teedubya 12-26-2004 01:25 PM

Kawacki is average at best... get Julian Peterson from the 49ers in Free Agency... and have Beisel at MLB.

philfree 12-26-2004 01:51 PM

FWIW Mitchell leads the team in tackles over the last 9 games. It depends on where you get the stats. One site has him 47 tackles and another shows 57 tackles over those games. Those are the games he's started. Those aren't great numbers but they're not bad either.

royr17 12-26-2004 01:54 PM

I have to agree he is getting better, he is currently 2nd on the team to Scott Fujita who has 85 tackles and Kawika Mitchell has 62.

At least he has shown this year that he can make some tackles compared to last year.

I think he will be much improved by the time next year gets here if he keeps it up, the only thing he really needs to work on is shedding his blockers, learning how to wrap up on tackling instead of trying to pull down by the jersey, and time his blitzes and filling the gaps right.

If he does that than we will have a good MLB in the middle than who does have alot of speed.