ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   IF we sign Hartwell, do we go 3-4 or 'Falcon'? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111862)

Dayze 03-09-2005 10:28 PM

that would require putting Sims heads up over center; where he would have a hard time matching his stellar 13 tackle season of 2004.

OldTownChief 03-09-2005 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Sign Hartwell and draft Derrick Johnson, go to a 4-4 defense, and kill the QB! :)

Jake would shit his pants.

jspchief 03-09-2005 10:32 PM

Am I the only one that remembers the "falcon" as a worthless scheme? Didn't DT have his worst year as the "falcon"?

Mr. Kotter 03-09-2005 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Am I the only one that remembers the "falcon" as a worthless scheme? Didn't DT have his worst year as the "falcon"?

Who cares? It sounds COOL...like 'monster' in High school ball, heh. Waaaaayyyy cool. :thumb:

J Diddy 03-09-2005 10:38 PM

I'm of the opinion, the reason we got bell is for the 4-3 and to play outside. I think durability is a question in the 3-4 where he would occasionally be double teamed by large offensive linemen, in a 4-3 the worse he would get is 1 on 1.

J Diddy 03-09-2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
Who cares? It sounds COOL...like 'monster' in High school ball, heh. Waaaaayyyy cool. :thumb:

Yeah, I remember them days. Cheerleaders wanting to play with the monster. I happily obliged.

Mr. Laz 03-09-2005 10:41 PM

If the chiefs are really serious about going to the super bowl they should sign Hartwell too AND the then keep Fujita.

why?

because if you want to win a super bowl you need to be great at one spot on either side of the ball. On the offensive side we are great at offensive line. On defense we aren't great anywhere.

i'm a HUGE cornerback homer... but that's not gonna work out, there's only 1 really good cornerback available. So lets just field and outstanding linebacker corps.

sign hartwell ... start hartwell,Bell,fujita .. hartwell has the speed to play outside. We also have the flexibility to stick beisel or mitchell out there and play a 3-4. It also gives us coverage in case bell has an injury again.

sign hartwell, draft a cornerback in round 1 AND 2

1st - carlos rogers
2nd - eric green

we'll be really young in the secondary, but our run defense should be outstanding.

put bartee,battle at free safety along with the rest of the million safeties and may the best man win.

but at least we will have SOMETHING to hang our hat on for the defense.

mcan 03-09-2005 11:53 PM

Bell is a middle linebacker. He is comfortable there. He's also the best linebacker we have so he should STAY in the middle. That's all there is to it...

The only nose tackle we have on this roster is Siavii, and I don't think he would be ready to play. Sims would be a pretty good end in the 3-4, and Jared Allen would be fantastic OLB in a 3-4. But the fact is, I think that our second defensive tackle (Browning/Dalton) is/are better at what they do than Fujita is at what he does. So, you keep the best 11 on the field by staying with a 4-3. However, if we could trade Dalton and Fujita for a draft pick, and sign Hartwell. Then we might be able to move up and grab Johnson. In which case, the 3-4 would make a TON of sense! (NOTE: This is not necessarily the BEST thing to do, and certainly wouldn't happen).

Hicks
Siavii
Sims

Johnson
Hartwell
Bell
Allen

would be a fantastic front seven, and fast as hell...

Mr. Kotter 03-10-2005 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
If the chiefs are really serious about going to the super bowl they should sign Hartwell too AND the then keep Fujita.

why?

because if you want to win a super bowl you need to be great at one spot on either side of the ball. On the offensive side we are great at offensive line. On defense we aren't great anywhere.

i'm a HUGE cornerback homer... but that's not gonna work out, there's only 1 really good cornerback available. So lets just field and outstanding linebacker corps.

sign hartwell ... start hartwell,Bell,fujita .. hartwell has the speed to play outside. We also have the flexibility to stick beisel or mitchell out there and play a 3-4. It also gives us coverage in case bell has an injury again.

1st - carlos rogers
2nd - eric green

we'll be really young in the secondary, but our run defense should be outstanding.

put bartee,battle at free safety along with the rest of the million safeties and may the best man win.

As Meatloaf once said Laz, "you took the words right out of my mouth..." :thumb:

Mr. Kotter 03-10-2005 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan
Hicks
Siavii
Sims

Johnson
Hartwell
Bell
Allen

would be a fantastic front seven, and fast as hell...

Damn it, mcan! :cuss:

I just spooged all over my keyboard; you owe me $89 plus tax....sukka. ;)

J Diddy 03-10-2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
Damn it, mcan! :cuss:

I just spooged all over my keyboard; you owe me $89 plus tax....sukka. ;)

$89 for a keyboard, you can get a waterproof one for around $10.

Archie Bunker 03-10-2005 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz

why?

1st - carlos rogers
2nd - eric green

:thumb: I slowly moving onto to this bandwagon. I believe the front 7 is the most important. If you add two rookies to the mix at secondary surely 2 good ones could rise to the top.

Rausch 03-10-2005 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker
:thumb: I slowly moving onto to this bandwagon. I believe the front 7 is the most important. If you add two rookies to the mix at secondary surely 2 good ones could rise to the top.

I'd tend to agree, but one has to remember that our CB's are such a special kind of WORTHLESS that any pass rush we generate is meaningless. We were top 5 in the NFL last year and STILL couldn't stop an offense from completing 3rd and long...

I don't think we have to find a stud, but we MUST at least find a servicable starter opposite Warfield. MUST....

htismaqe 03-10-2005 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stinger
Carl said in one of the press conferences that with LB Bell signed, that they would focus on another need on defense. Im guessing that means either the cornerback or safety position.

I highly doubt we see them pursue Ed Hartwell any further, considering the 10 m signing bonus he is wanting.

That doesn't mean Hartwell can't sign.

We're just no longer negotiating.

There's an offer on the table, take it or leave it. Right now, he doesn't have a better option.

htismaqe 03-10-2005 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief

I was going to post this and then I saw you already said it.

The Falcon was one of Gunther's WORST ideas ever.