ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   QB Situation - Offseason Moves (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=11416)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 09:53 AM

Isn't Polley still recovering from a knee injury?

Bob Dole has serious concerns about large young men with prior knee injuries being able to hold up more than a couple of years in the NFL.

redbrian 12-19-2000 10:00 AM

I don't think any major changes would be required at all. The hardest part would be finding a prospect that can run and pass equally well.

Put the guy in and tell him to pass. If the pass isn't there then run. That's what they do with Culpepper and McNabb.

We haven't ever tried it before so we don't know if they can develop one of these guy's or not.

redbrian 12-19-2000 10:02 AM

It's called improvisation, and that can't be taught. It's a talent received from birth. You don't have to change your blocking schemes for something like that IMO.

Baby Lee 12-19-2000 10:06 AM

That being said, Cannibal, i'd take a chance on Tuiasosopa(golly I hope it's spelled right). He definitely has the running tools, and his passing nombers aren't bad, either.

Chief Nathan 12-19-2000 10:10 AM

I have always been partial to the QB's who have the ability to run, but until some running QB besides Steve Young shows that they can lead a team to a Super Bowl ring then I am in no real hurry to sell out a strong pocket passer for a runner...90% of playing QB is accuracy and mental strength...Being mobile is a nice bonus but it is irrelevant if you don't possess those first two qualities.

redbrian 12-19-2000 10:12 AM

That's who'd I take as well.

He's got heart and athletic ability.

The Chiefs need to try something new. Take a chance, maybe it'll pay off.

Baby Lee 12-19-2000 10:13 AM

jl80,
I think you'll see it this year, when Tennessee and Minnesota play in the Super Bowl.

redbrian 12-19-2000 10:20 AM

John Elway was of that same mold.

He passed first, but he could scramble with the best of 'em.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 10:21 AM

While scrambling ability is nice, some (Kordell Stewart leaps to mind) give up on the pocket too quickly, IBDHO.

Young only scrambled when every available option was fully eliminated.

And Bob Dole still is not convinced that QBs with different styles do not impact the linemen. Bob Dole has read statements from linemen that they are affected by different running backs, and thinks that the relationship with the QB is no different.

Elvis is traditionally slow to scramble and typically hangs in the pocket. The tackles know that, and use a defenders momentum to push them back beyond the pocket. If the QB is a scrambler, you don't know whether that will work or not, because you might push the defender directly in to the QB because he's not where you expect him to be.

redbrian 12-19-2000 10:23 AM

I disagree, if the QB is athletic enough, it doens't matter where the lineman are. A good example would be the scrambles that Shaun King had last night. Especially the lateral from Dunn.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 10:25 AM

Bob Dole is not disagreeing that a scrambling QB can be effective. Bob Dole is stating that it would be more difficult for our offense to adapt to that QB mid-game if Elvis was injured.

redbrian 12-19-2000 10:26 AM

The Culpepper's, McNabb's, and Brook's are the new breed of QB.

All of them can throw with very good accuracy, but can also run like a RB.

I'd like to see the Chiefs get on that bandwagon.

TheBigChief 12-19-2000 10:26 AM

I'm with jl on our #1 pick: Dan Morgan all the way!!! Shore up the LB corps, take Tuiasosopo in the 2nd, DT Mario Fatafehi(highly underrated!!!) in the 3rd

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 12-19-2000 10:27 AM

If that's the case, then we're talking apples and oranges, Cannibal.

The original premise was that we re-sign Elvis and are looking for a #2--not that we're retooling the team and changing the style of play.

Do you think it's accidental that Gannon is playing like he is this season, or do you think it's offensive design that has contributed?

egonzo 12-19-2000 10:44 AM

Cannibal. You're standards are too high. That play off the lateral maybe happens once or twice a year. MAYBE. 9 out of 10 times those fluke plays end up with a huge loss.

I'm just hoping that EG continues to scramble like he did Sunday.