ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Will Ferrell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119233)

milkman 07-09-2005 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray
Denis Leary

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois
I would throw in Steve Martin as someone who can be extremely funny and also is a pretty talented actor.

I agree with both of these.

Ultra Peanut 07-09-2005 09:23 PM

Quote:

While Ferrell did stuff on SNL that made me laugh... I have no desire to spend money to see him in a movie.

http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3...l=earmuffs.mp3

Logical 07-09-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I think Robin Williams has been able to make the leap. I haven't always liked his movies, and he's far better being funny, but he's not necessarily a bad actor.

I can see Will Ferrell not making that leap, though.

Yes, Robin Williams turned out to really suprise me as a serious actor. Kind of wish he would mix in the old comic Robin Williams on occasion again. Man was he funny.

Logical 07-09-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
i thought jim carrey was good in enternal sunshine

Other than that was a really odd move, I do agree he handled it well, much better than his other attempts at being serious.

Deleted I just realized Spanglish is Adam Sandler not Carey.

Logical 07-09-2005 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
Robin Williams trained at Julliard. He sorta backed into the comedy thing which made him famous.

There are some pretty great comedians/comic actors who were able to make the switch to dramatic actors very successfully...

Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, Hamlet, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia, One Hour Photo)

Tom Hanks (Punchline, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Cast Away ... and on and on.)

Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Rushmore, etc)

Jim Carrey (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic)

Will Smith (Ali)

Jamie Foxx (Ali, Ray, Collateral)

Adam Sandler (Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish)

John Travolta (Pulp Fiction, A Civil Action, The Thin Red Line)

Woody Harrelson (The People vs. Larry Flynt, Indecent Proposal, Natural Born Killers)

John Cusack (Runaway Jury, The Thin Red Line, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Grifters)

Wow great list but I guess I never realized Hanks and Cusack had been comic actors.

Guess I did not think those two movies by Murray were serious because I laughed so much while watching them. I viewed them more as quirky comedies than dramactic movies.

Logical 07-09-2005 10:23 PM

Quote:

I would throw in Steve Martin as someone who can be extremely funny and also is a pretty talented actor.

Now there is a really good addition. I believe that Eddie Murphy could do it if he found the right part.

Jesus, I forgot one of the Best Whoopi Goldberg, not only is she hilarious but she is fantastic when she decides to take on a serious role. Color Purple and Ghost as the best examples, did anyone else realize that she has acted in 85 films?

Logical 07-09-2005 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
I'm going to see Bewitched, just so I can see Nicole Kidman wiggle her nose.

In all honesty I would recommend you wait for the video to be released.

luv 07-09-2005 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
Wow great list but I guess I never realized Hanks and Cusack had been comic actors.

Guess I did not think those two movies by Murray were serious because I laughed so much while watching them. I viewed them more as quirky comedies than dramactic movies.

Not that they were extremely funny, but Tom Hanks did:

The Comic
Joe vs the Volcano
The Money Pit
Ladykillers
Big (who wouldn't like to act like a 13 yr old...well, and get paid millions for doing so)

And who can forget Bossom Buddies?
He did stand-up before that.

oaklandhater 07-09-2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
Robin Williams trained at Julliard. He sorta backed into the comedy thing which made him famous.

There are some pretty great comedians/comic actors who were able to make the switch to dramatic actors very successfully...

Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, Hamlet, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia, One Hour Photo)

Tom Hanks (Punchline, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Cast Away ... and on and on.)

Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Rushmore, etc)

Jim Carrey (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic)

Will Smith (Ali)

Jamie Foxx (Ali, Ray, Collateral)

Adam Sandler (Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish)

John Travolta (Pulp Fiction, A Civil Action, The Thin Red Line)

Woody Harrelson (The People vs. Larry Flynt, Indecent Proposal, Natural Born Killers)

John Cusack (Runaway Jury, The Thin Red Line, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Grifters)

you forgot that Robin Williams was Also in What Dreams May Come,one of his frist serious roles.

T-post Tom 07-09-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaklandhater
you forgot that Robin Williams was Also in What Dreams May Come,one of his frist serious roles.

"The World According To Garp" was a wonderful movie. Circa 1982, it's a great early performance by Williams. Great cast, including Glenn Close as Williams mother; Mary Beth Hurt as his wife; & John Lithgow as an ex-NFL player that becomes a transsexual. (Williams mentioned in an interview that he still calls Glen Close "mom" to this day.)

Logical 07-10-2005 12:47 AM

Well I watched Spanglish tonight and enjoyed the movie. I though Sandler did a credible and pretty decent job as a serious actor.:clap:

Rausch 07-10-2005 02:09 AM

I've never really found the guy funny. Ever. In anything.

But then I'm no fan of any of the "newer (94 or after)" SNL comedians...

DaWolf 07-10-2005 04:05 AM

I'm curious to see how Jack Black pulls off his role in King King...