ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why my next lawn mower will be a Snapper (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134051)

Infidel Goat 01-18-2006 12:38 PM

Costco!1111111

Baby Lee 01-18-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat
Costco!1111111

D@mn dirty hippy!! ;)

NewChief 01-18-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat
Costco!1111111

I wish we had one down here. I doubt they'll ever be able to infiltrate the heart of the Evil Empire, though.

Frosty 01-18-2006 12:53 PM

I wish I could shop somewhere besides Wal-Mart. We had one move into our town about 10 years ago and it promptly put 75% of the stores out of business. The closest city that has other stores like Target and Fred Meyers (Krogers to the rest of the world) is 80 miles away.

I buy a lot of stuff on line, but we still buy a lot of groceries there. I agree about the poor quality meat. If you read the label, most of the meats sold at Wal-Mart are 20% injected salt solution by weight. That's no bargain.

My Dad swears up and down that products sold by Wal-Mart are substandard, even if it's the exact same model number as what's sold elsewhere. He says the companies shave corners to try to hit Wal-Mart's price point. I didn't really believe him, but after reading those articles, now I'm not so sure. My wife probably has a point when she said that they probably do cut corners but then sell them to all the stores that way. Who knows? :shrug:

Baby Lee 01-18-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc
I wish I could shop somewhere besides Wal-Mart. We had one move into our town about 10 years ago and it promptly put 75% of the stores out of business. The closest city that has other stores like Target and Fred Meyers (Krogers to the rest of the world) is 80 miles away.

I buy a lot of stuff on line, but we still buy a lot of groceries there. I agree about the poor quality meat. If you read the label, most of the meats sold at Wal-Mart are 20% injected salt solution by weight. That's no bargain.

My Dad swears up and down that products sold by Wal-Mart are substandard, even if it's the exact same model number as what's sold elsewhere. He says the companies shave corners to try to hit Wal-Mart's price point. I didn't really believe him, but after reading those articles, now I'm not so sure. My wife probably has a point when she said that they probably do cut corners but then sell them to all the stores that way. Who knows? :shrug:

At Christmas this year, they did have a line of small appliances [coffee makers, blenders, etc.] that were clearly de-branded versions of mainstream models. Just guessing, but they're probably brand-name manufactured, but didn't clear the inspection process. Of course that practice has been around forever, like a Sony that doesn't meet specs becomes an Aiwa.

Brock 01-18-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Of course that practice has been around forever, like a Sony that doesn't meet specs becomes an Aiwa.

I did not know this. I've had better luck with Aiwa stuff than Sony, frankly.

Calcountry 01-18-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Capitalism at its best. I don't mind what Wal-Mart does, but I don't like to shop there for other reasons. They sell mostly crap, they are always full of the scum of the earth people, and its always CROWDED.

You should feel right at home there then Saul.

Eleazar 01-18-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc

When I was still in college, I was wanting to buy a bicycle to ride back and forth between my off-campus apartment and my classes. It was nothing that cost a boatload of money, but it was nicer than the average bike you see.

I saw a similar model was sold by walmart one day when I was there, and that had the same model name and looked the same at first glance, but on inspecting that one versus the one at the bike shop at home, there were many differences - mostly plastic parts substituted for metal and things like that. So, I don't doubt that other products might be manufactured this way too.

For some things, who really cares. I mean, I don't need name brand washcloths or go to a specialty shop to buy drain-o. But as far as more durable goods, there might be something to your story.

Saulbadguy 01-18-2006 02:13 PM

They censor CD's too. Funny stuff.

Saulbadguy 01-18-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
I did not know this. I've had better luck with Aiwa stuff than Sony, frankly.

My first car stereo was an Aiwa. It was a POS, though. Some thieves broke in to my car (which was parked at my apartment), and stole it. The next morning I discovered my car had been broken in to. And down the road a bit in the gutter...my Aiwa CD player. Apparently they discovered what it was and threw it away. I wish they would have just taken it. :mad:

KCChiefsMan 01-18-2006 02:28 PM

I hate wal mart, absolutely HATE it. The one in Lawrence is one of the worst I've seen. The only friendly person in there is the old greeter at the front door, customer service sucks, every time I go in there I get pissed off either by the rude white trash shoppers or the employees. I once pulled my cart up to a cashier to buy my things, she looked at me kinda rolled her eyes and sighed, turned back around to finish her conversation. So I stood there and said "excuse me" and she look at me with a pretty dirty look and gave me the "one-minute" index finger point. I left and went to Target.

Another time, I asked an employee who was in his uniform where the out-door trash tubs are at, he told me that he was not on the clock and doesn't have to answer that question. I pretty much went off on him I said something to the likes of "look man, look at yourself, what is that you are wearing? a WAL MART UNIFORM, and where are you walking around at? a WAL MART ISLE, if you are that stupid to realize that then you're a fugging idiot, now WHERE ARE THE DAMN TRASH CANS?" he then told me they didn't have any."" so I went and talked to the manager, but I didn't get the guy's name, but then the manager tells me that they are outside in their little tent in the parking lot, so I go out there and the people in the tent told me they were in the paint section inside.....I left, home depot is where I bought the trash cans.

I am determined to never shop there again, but I received a gift card from wal mart as a christmas gift, so I will have to go back in there to redeem it. but after that NEVER AGAIN!!!

FAX 01-18-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan
I received a gift card from wal mart as a christmas gift, so I will have to go back in there to redeem it. but after that NEVER AGAIN!!!

My sympathies, Mr. KCChiefsMan. I understand your feelings. However, there may be a lesson to be learned here.

Never participate in a gift exchange with a Denver girl.

FAX

Bugeater 01-18-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
I had a really big fat ribeye from Sam's Club last night that ****ing rocked.

Oh, and a Snapper is a pussy.

That's all I have to contribute to this thread.

I figured that you, of all people, would have noticed what words the web address of the first link contained. Then you would have had something more to contribute.

Simplex3 01-18-2006 03:10 PM

Here's how I see it. There are three modes I shop in.

1. I'm buying everyday s**t. Walmart is fine, Target is fine, the local grocer is best. We have no more local drug stores.

2. I know exactly what I want. Internet. If I don't need any help or to feel out multiple products I can get it cheaper on the web than I can at Wally World and I don't have to put up with the white trash and assorted scum.

3. I need the help of a knowledgeable salesperson. Well, Walmart is out. *IF* you can find someone they're just clueless drones.

I buy my durable purchases from local shops. Used to shop at Brandsmart for most electronics (receiver, speakers, big screen, etc), looks like I won't be doing that anymore thanks to Worst Buy, the Walmart of electronics.

Oh well, you just have to try a little harder.

Bob Dole 01-18-2006 03:36 PM

All Wal~Mart employees are manufactured and shipped in from NW Arkansas. That's why they, unlike the rest of your community, are so rude--they aren't from your community.