ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the best National Mexican food chain. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137503)

DomerNKC 03-17-2006 06:46 PM

chipotle...mmmmmmmmm

SBK 03-17-2006 07:32 PM

In Vegas I had The Border Grill. That place was frickin good.

My favorite national types would be Taco Time (crisp meat burritos) and Q'Doba, which is like Chipolte only it's good.

DaneMcCloud 03-17-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
I think Border Grill is regional we have one here in Mira Mesa San Diego, I prefer Tio Leos when it comes to the regional ones. I have not heard of the other two you mentioned.

There's a Border Grill in Santa Monica and one at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. If there's one in SD, you should try it out. The owner are two well known chefs that have a show on the Food Network. More Yucatan penisula style Mexican food.

I'm surprised there's no Chevy's or Acupulco's in SD, as they're everywhere in Los Angeles. I like Rubio's and they're finally putting one on Vine in Hollywood. Wahoo's is okay, but nothing special. Sharkey's is like Baja Fresh, but more grilled fish/shrimp oriented and a little more expensive.

Logical 03-17-2006 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud
There's a Border Grill in Santa Monica and one at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. If there's one in SD, you should try it out. The owner are two well known chefs that have a show on the Food Network. More Yucatan penisula style Mexican food.

I'm surprised there's no Chevy's or Acupulco's in SD, as they're everywhere in Los Angeles. I like Rubio's and they're finally putting one on Vine in Hollywood. Wahoo's is okay, but nothing special. Sharkey's is like Baja Fresh, but more grilled fish/shrimp oriented and a little more expensive.

Sorry for the confusion when I said the other two I meant El Cholo and El Coyote. There are of course Acupulco's and Chevy's both of which are not very good.

DaneMcCloud 03-17-2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion when I said the other two I meant El Cholo and El Coyote. There are of course Acupulco's and Chevy's both of which are not very good.

Ah, got it. El Cholo is the best mexican restaurant in Los Angeles, IMHO. There's 3 locations. The original, which was first opened downtown in 1927, one in K-Town (of all places!) on Western, and one in Wilshire on the westside. They also have a mini-El Cholo at LAX, but it's lame.

El Coyote is on Beverly Blvd & La Brea and has been around for over 75 years. Really good, cheap drinks and moderately priced "homestyle" Mexican food. It' a great Happy Hour place, but the food's pretty good. There's another great place on Beverly Blvd. near The Grove called Authentic Cafe. Oaxacan and Yacatan Penisula Mexican food, but great. A little pricier.

Can you tell that I like Mexican food?

Phobia 03-17-2006 08:58 PM

The family ate at Habeneros in Lees Summitt tonight. I don't know how much of a chain it is but their fish tacos are second to none.

savedin79 03-17-2006 09:09 PM

Taco Bell

Mr. Kotter 03-17-2006 09:37 PM

Bang for the buck?

Seriously....I know it's Tex-Mex/American-Mex....but Taco Bell. I could live off that stuff... :)

Mr. Kotter 03-17-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedin79
Taco Bell

Amen, bro. :clap:

Frazod 03-17-2006 10:34 PM

I always loved Chi-chi's but I think the chain died. I really liked the seafood chimichanga and fried ice cream. Yummy. There used to be one a couple of miles from here, too, but it closed years ago. Bastards.

The wife doesn't like Mexican food, so I haven't been to any of the sit-down restaurants around here. For burritos, there's a local chain called El Famous Burritos that is both authentic and awesome. I don't think they're national.

I agree that Chipolte is SHIT. Just like Panda is McOriental, Chipolte is McMexican. Yuck.

keg in kc 03-17-2006 10:44 PM

On the Border is okay if there's nothing else.

I liked the couple of Margaritas I've eaten at here in the KC area, but it's been 2 or 3 years; I don't go to many sit-down restaurants now that I'm on my own.

Phobia 03-17-2006 10:49 PM

Chi-Chi's was horrible, Tim.

One of the better ones in the KC area is Jose Peppers. We had them cater the last 37 Forever banquet and all the food was first class.

Frazod 03-17-2006 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Chi-Chi's was horrible, Tim.

Well, I liked it. :harumph:

huskerdooz 03-17-2006 10:56 PM

I don't know how national it is but we like El Maguey.

beavis 03-17-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Is "In a Tub" the place that was off of North Oak Trafficway and in the 70s offered a dozen tacos for a buck? Grease heaven as I recall.

There used to be one in Metro North Mall, but I don't know if it's there anymore. I doubt it is. The only one I know of now is the one off I-29 and Barry.

If you ever eat there, you might as well schedule an angioplasty the next day.