ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Patriots are confusing me (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159270)

jspchief 03-06-2007 07:12 AM

So where is the Rufus/Gretz article about how good teams don't spend big money on FAs?

Amnorix 03-06-2007 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
So where is the Rufus/Gretz article about how good teams don't spend big money on FAs?

Would it help if I pointed out that the Thomas and Welker deals, together, are only a very few million more than the insane deals that the Browns paid Steinbach, or that the other guys paid that other guard (sorry, forgetting who) at $49M and $49.5M?

And that Thomas is less than half, and Welker less than 25%, of the nominal contract amount that the Niners signed Clements for.

Or, the fact that the Thomas contract represents less of the cap, as a percentage, as the Pats signing of Rosevelt Colvin in 2003?

CupidStunt 03-06-2007 07:26 AM

Hilarious spin by the Pats homer but Welker isn't worth a second and seventh. Period.

Mile High Mania 03-06-2007 07:30 AM

Amnorix, that is indeed good spin on the Welker piece.

Amnorix 03-06-2007 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
Hilarious spin by the Pats homer but Welker isn't worth a second and seventh. Period.

How many guys drafted at the end of the 2nd round, over the last X years do you like better than a guy who led his team last year in punt returns, kickoff returns and total catches?

And who by the way is 25 and a sparkplug of energy.

Finally, keep in mind that the Patriots are a team with very few weaknesses. Fix those few weaknesses, and we are not just in the Super Bowl hunt, but we are a favorite (especially as the super-talented Chargers have imploded on the coaching front).
WR is one of those weaknesses.

We traded a 4th round pick a few years ago to Chicago for Ted Washington, and won a SB with him manning the middle as no one else could for us. He WAS a key, and even though he played for us for one stinking year, I never regretted that trade.

Amnorix 03-06-2007 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
Amnorix, that is indeed good spin on the Welker piece.

:D

Mile High Mania 03-06-2007 07:37 AM

Ok ... comparing a trade for Ted Washington (proven) to a trade for Wes "who" Welker? You're going to serious pull something if you continue reaching like that. (heh)

Amnorix 03-06-2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
Ok ... comparing a trade for Ted Washington (proven) to a trade for Wes "who" Welker? You're going to serious pull something if you continue reaching like that. (heh)

Let me back up. Pioli and Belichick have won 3 Super Bowls in the last 5 years, been to the AFC Championship Game, losing in the final minute another time, and went to the playoffs losing in the 2nd round another year. 6 years, 5 playoffs, never a one-and-done, and 3 Superbowls.

What have you done to prove your NFL bona fides so you can tell me why they're wrong and you're right that they overpaid, or that the trade wasn't worth it?

Let me say this -- Patriots Nation, which has SEEN Welker play, and play well, against us and others, is overwhelmingly in favor of this. If Broncos fans think we got gypped, I'm sure I'll survive your disfavor. :D

CupidStunt 03-06-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
How many guys drafted at the end of the 2nd round, over the last X years do you like better than a guy who led his team last year in punt returns, kickoff returns and total catches?

The Dolphins. And catches aren't important as yards - 687. 10.3 ypc? Embarrassing. 1 TD? Haha.

You keep telling yourself it's a great trade.

jspchief 03-06-2007 07:45 AM

Look at the Patriots resume. They are incapable of making bad player personnel moves.

Amnorix 03-06-2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
The Dolphins. And catches aren't important as yards - 687. 10.3 ypc? Embarrassing. 1 TD? Haha.

You keep telling yourself it's a great trade.

What part of slot receiver/possession receiver, speedy little scatback guy do you not get? Oh yeah, and let's not forget he had mediocre QBs and an average-at-best (not even) offense to work with all around. Or don't you think he'll do a bit better with Brady than the Miami bozo QBs he's had to work with lately?

And he's a midget, like many Pats WRs. Name me the last Pats WR who had 10 TDs in a season anyway without looking it up.

Jesus...

Amnorix 03-06-2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Look at the Patriots resume. They are incapable of making bad player personnel moves.

If only that were true. But I think they get a VERY STRONG benefit of the doubt in advance, due to their track record.

cadmonkey 03-06-2007 08:01 AM

Why do I get the feeling the Wes Welker will only be a younger version of Tim Dwight? I love the fact that he can play a sh*t load of positions but the way people have been blowing this guy up here on the radio you would think he is going to single handedly bring us back the Super Bowl.

If we sign Stallworth or Moss (keeping my fingers crossed he wouldn't infect our team with cancer) I won't mind having Welker. But if Welker is our best WR pick up or Draft pick this year I will not be the bit pleased.

Amnorix 03-06-2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadmonkey
Why do I get the feeling the Wes Welker will only be a younger version of Tim Dwight? I love the fact that he can play a sh*t load of positions but the way people have been blowing this guy up here on the radio you would think he is going to single handedly bring us back the Super Bowl.

If we sign Stallworth or Moss (keeping my fingers crossed he wouldn't infect our team with cancer) I won't mind having Welker. But if Welker is our best WR pick up or Draft pick this year I will not be the bit pleased.

Welker is just a cog. If he's another Troy Brown, Chrebet or Meggett type, then we'll have done very well. If he's another Tim Dwight, then we overpaid, no doubt.

We do need a solid #1 or #2 guy to pair up with Caldwell, I think. I'd rather have Welker in the slot as the #3 than as a #2 opposite Caldwell.

Unfortunately, it seems Chad Jackson blew his ACL, so he's not likely to be helping us early in '07, if at all. :(

cadmonkey 03-06-2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
Welker is just a cog. If he's another Troy Brown, Chrebet or Meggett type, then we'll have done very well. If he's another Tim Dwight, then we overpaid, no doubt.

We do need a solid #1 or #2 guy to pair up with Caldwell, I think. I'd rather have Welker in the slot as the #3 than as a #2 opposite Caldwell.

Unfortunately, it seems Chad Jackson blew his ACL, so he's not likely to be helping us early in '07, if at all. :(

I still hate thinking the Caldwell in our #1 :banghead: