ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   So can someone tell us the last season Herm's offense hasnt gotten a QB killed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175593)

Zouk 11-29-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Any successful NFL coach will tell you that, when your offense needs rebuilding, that's the FIRST place you work on ... not the LAST.

FAX

You start with the QB, WR, and LT. That's 1 offensive lineman, and 2 non-offensive linemen.

The Colts started with Manning, Harrison, and Glenn, and added the rest later on. The Pats started with Brady, Branch (since replaced with Moss), and Light, and added the rest later on (Light is the only O-lineman from their first SB winner still on the team). The Packers already had Favre, but added Driver/Walker, and Clifton first. Most of the rest of their linemen are 1st and 2nd year players (meaning they were added last).

Skip Towne 11-29-2007 04:20 PM

Here's what I am most afraid of: Herm works his magic and has the best team in the league. We are at a critical point in the 2nd half of the conference championship game when Herm has one of his massive brain farts. And we lose. No matter how good a team he builds he will never be able to overcome his own stupidity. He is not a HC and he needs to get the hell out of town.

FAX 11-29-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zouk
You start with the QB, WR, and LT. That's 1 offensive lineman, and 2 non-offensive linemen.

The Colts started with Manning, Harrison, and Glenn, and added the rest later on. The Pats started with Brady, Branch (since replaced with Moss), and Light, and added the rest later on (Light is the only O-lineman from their first SB winner still on the team). The Packers already had Favre, but added Driver/Walker, and Clifton first. Most of the rest of their linemen are 1st and 2nd year players (meaning they were added last).

We may be talking past each other again, Mr. Zouk. If I'm responsible for that, I apologize.

In an ideal world, the strategy you outline makes total sense. However, it assumes that the other linemen are competitive or even servicable. With the exception of Waters, ours is not. I like Wiegman, but we're certainly not playing to his strengths either. If you're saying that you can realistically develop offensive skill players with little or no blocking across the board, I am forced to disagree. I don't think Herm would believe that either.

FAX

dirk digler 11-29-2007 04:27 PM

I was actually thinking about this today. It seems here and NY Herm has had alot of problems with injuries to his players.

I am curious if it is the way that he conducts practices or lack thereof that could contribute to it?

DV would have monster 3 hr long practices and we were mostly always healthy.

Just curious

Hammock Parties 11-29-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Here's what I am most afraid of: Herm works his magic and has the best team in the league. We are at a critical point in the 2nd half of the conference championship game when Herm has one of his massive brain farts. And we lose. No matter how good a team he builds he will never be able to overcome his own stupidity. He is not a HC and he needs to get the hell out of town.

Herm will never have the best team in the league. He will ALWAYS start slow. We will NEVER win a division championship here under Herm. I'm convinced his ceiling is 10, MAYBE 11 wins, MAX.

Zouk 11-29-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX

In an ideal world, the strategy you outline makes total sense. However, it assumes that the other linemen are competitive or even servicable. With the exception of Waters, ours is not.
FAX

No, I hear you - you're right. You asked exactly the right question - what made us think Terry and Turley could be adequate at RT? That and thinking Mike Priefer could coach special teams are by far the 2 biggest blunders and the 2 situations that need to be rectified this offseason.

But those mistakes are much smaller and more fixable in my opinion than messing up 1st round draft picks.

Hammock Parties 11-29-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything

Edit your post, cocksmoker.

Zouk 11-29-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler
I was actually thinking about this today. It seems here and NY Herm has had alot of problems with injuries to his players.

I am curious if it is the way that he conducts practices or lack thereof that could contribute to it?

We've been well below league average in injuries each of the last 2 years.

FAX 11-29-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

No, I hear you - you're right. You asked exactly the right question - what made us think Terry and Turley could be adequate at RT? That and thinking Mike Priefer could coach special teams are by far the 2 biggest blunders and the 2 situations that need to be rectified this offseason.

But those mistakes are much smaller and more fixable in my opinion than messing up 1st round draft picks.

Okay, the strange, out-of-context reference to 1st round picks aside, it looks like we're getting somewhere, Mr. Zouk.

Forget about weighing the quality and quantity of the screw ups for a second and let's agree for the moment that Terry/Turley/Welbourne's deplorable play have clearly demonstrated that they are not the answer at RT or even RG.

Why did Herm not recognize that fact in camp? That's the question. If he's God's gift to humanity in the area of player evaluation, how could he not see what we've seen all year long? Or, if he did know, why would he not look elsewhere when he had the opportunity?

FAX

Skip Towne 11-29-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATSE
Herm will never have the best team in the league. He will ALWAYS start slow. We will NEVER win a division championship here under Herm. I'm convinced his ceiling is 10, MAYBE 11 wins, MAX.

I was quoting best case scenario. Even if he built the best team in the history of the world he would still fuck it up with his brain farts. He is not a HC.

bobbything 11-29-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATSE
Edit your post, cocksmoker.

Surely you can be more original with your name-calling.

Zouk 11-29-2007 04:49 PM

The only reliable way to get players is through the first day of the draft or the first couple of weeks of unrestricted free agency. Sometimes you hit on a 2nd day pick, but it doesn't happen regularly and you can't count on it in planning how to build a team.

Based on needs and who the best players/values available were in the draft and free agency, we have not yet been able to find the right long-term solutions at RG or RT. There's no question about that. I agree we should have been able to find a better short-term answer for this year at those positions. Whether those guys were out there on the street in August is highly questionable, but again I agree it can't be much worse.

Still my point is that messing up on short-term fixes (players we do not spend significant signing bonuses or 1st day picks on) is far less problematic than messing up on planned long-term solutions (which is what Carl-Vermeil-Stiles did and is why we're in this mess to begin with).

dirk digler 11-29-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

We've been well below league average in injuries each of the last 2 years.

Not at the QB position or the RB position at least this year. You're probably right overall.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-29-2007 05:24 PM

"We're no strangers to love....you know the rules, AND SO DO I!!!!"

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag..._astley80s.jpg

headsnap 11-29-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything
Surely you can be more original with your name-calling.

that was a rather Dickish thing to do!!!