ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What the Hell is a "System QB" and why is it bad to be one? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181803)

Reerun_KC 03-19-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 4638597)
Either way, we should definitely never draft system qb's until we get an actual system.

Can He hand off consistently?

IF so he is the man for the job...

Rooster 03-19-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4638624)
Can He hand off consistently?

IF so he is the man for the job...

Herm needs a QB that can hand off and punt. :)

DTLB58 03-19-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 4638459)
David Klinger, Andre Ware, etc. were system quarterbacks. That is why they couldn't cut it in the NFL. You could have put Montana in any system and he would have looked good, because he was good.

Yes he was good. But how good would have depended on which system and the talent and coaches around him. Hence, his time in KC.

JakeT 03-19-2008 01:36 PM

nfl system qb = Steve Bono

NaptownChief 03-19-2008 01:55 PM

One of my other favorite media topics to yammer about is "so tough to follow a legend..."

They always talk about how tough it is to follow a legend but I largely call BS. Yes there is some higher expectations of play because the fans have just gone through a period of seeing high level of play at that position from a legend. But let me ask you this.....Of all these QB's that failed following a legend, how many of them moved on and really shined? I can't think of any. They failed because they sucked not because they followed a legend. Steve Young followed one of the biggest legends and he succeeded because he was good.

If several QB's that followed legends struggled following the legend but then moved on and really did well then that would help make that argument but the reason most of them struggle is because the team had a legend at the QB position and didn't bother investing a high pick or a lot of free agent money on the position. So they usually have very average to below average QB's as backups that then get pushed into the position upon the departure of the legend.

Amnorix 03-19-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flopnuts (Post 4638606)
Amnorix, everyone knows that Matt Ryan is wicked awesome. Now clean that sand out of your gina. ;)

Actually, it's when it's applied to Tom Brady that it really irritates me. I honestly don't care THAT much about BC or Ryan. I'm a casual fan of BC footbal. I didn't go there, but they're the only 1-A program in New England.

But, honestly, I'm a tightass when it comes to langauge, and thsi "system QB" stuff is stupid because (as this thread clearly shows) nobody really agrees on what it means, or to whom it should be applied. The only definition I've seen that makes any sense is when it's applied to a college QB in a wide-open system, which results in stat pumping, and yet I've seen the label slapped on MANY NFL QBs, which makes no sense at all.

I honestly think it's just a stupid term.

mlyonsd 03-19-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 4638236)
...Coaches and players spend hundreds of hours every week (combined) analyzing weaknesses in the opposing defense and trying to adapt their "system" and plays to take advantage of the weaknesses.

Somebody should make Herm aware of this.

Taco John 03-19-2008 02:33 PM

A system QB is a guy with no intangibles. If the system breaks down, he is worthless. The offense is only as good as he is, and he is only as good as the weakest link in the system.

Brian Griese is a good example of a system QB.

vailpass 03-19-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 4639326)
A system QB is a guy with no intangibles. If the system breaks down, he is worthless. The offense is only as good as he is, and he is only as good as the weakest link in the system.

Your point is well taken but is there any way you could avoid mentioning that name again?:cuss:

Valiant 03-19-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 4638265)
I've always defined system QBs as guys who put up ridiculous stats in a wide-open, pass-happy system but are easily replaceable by other guys that can put up the same stats. Thus, they get undeserved hype based on their stats, and most of the time they underperform in an NFL pro offense.

System QBs that come to mind right now are Hawaii QBs (Colt Brennan, Timmy Chang), Tedford QBs (Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith), and Spurrier QBs (Rex Grossman, Danny Wuerffel).

If thats the case.. EVERY QB that is surrounded with a Great Line or Great WR's is a system QB in the NFL.. (system QB's can be great, but they are still in a system to make them look that way..)

I agree on the college level of system QB's, kind of like MU now..

Amnorix 03-19-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 4639326)

Makes no sense to me. What intangibles are you talking about other than being fleet of foot? And being fleet of foot is quite TANGIBLE in my mind.

What intangible is there? Improvisional ability? WTF is that?

Tribal Warfare 03-19-2008 03:03 PM

System's QB has to be put in the right situation right offense, and sufficient talent. For anyone to be considered a top 5 QB they'd have to an all-round stud with no weakness what so ever I mean he has to have accuracy, a strong arm, leadership intangibles, ability to run and scramble like an RB ect.. Someone who can take a team on their back to the SB on their sheer talent alone like John Elway.

Amnorix 03-19-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 4639381)
If thats the case.. EVERY QB that is surrounded with a Great Line or Great WR's is a system QB in the NFL.. (system QB's can be great, but they are still in a system to make them look that way..)

I agree on the college level of system QB's, kind of like MU now..

IMHO there's no such thing as a "system QB" in the NFL. It's a meaningless phrase. Without a good system, no QB in the NFL is any good.

Amnorix 03-19-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 4639403)
System's QB has to be put in the right situation right offense, and sufficient talent. For anyone to be considered a top 5 QB they'd have to an all-round stud with no weakness what so ever I mean he has to have accuracy, a strong arm, leadership intangibles, ability to run and scramble like an RB ect.. Someone who can take a team on their back to the SB on their sheer talent alone like John Elway.

This also makes no sense. What doess "System QB" have to do with being a top 5 QB? If you're not a top 5 QB all-time you're automatically a "system QB"?

Tribal Warfare 03-19-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 4639408)
This also makes no sense. What doess "System QB" have to do with being a top 5 QB? If you're not a top 5 QB all-time you're automatically a "system QB"?

Look at the top 5 of all-time the onl yone that wasn't in the right situation and that was John Elway that man had shit around him including coaches for most of his career that man literally took his teams on his back to the SB when he was young.