ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ***** Official KU vs Davidson NCAA Tourney Game Thread .***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182228)

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655551)
My point on Roy/Self was that most of Jayhawk fans would probably have Roy as a coach (myself included) than Self, and it would really help on Selfs part to put some sort of a big **** you to all those fans by winning that game.

Hey to be honest I think Roy will always be a better coach regardless of what happens, but it would really be nice to take it to UNC. At least it would feel good.

I like Self more that Roy... Roys teams always seems to have a touch of vagianist at time... Selfs teams seem to be alot tougher...

I think we match up well with UNC and will slow the game down to force them to play Selfs ball... Like the ass whippings he gave us at UI in the tourney.

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655572)
ROFL

Sad times change huh?

Hopefully next year we can actually compete or attempt too, i miss not having my team in the NCAA Tourney...

I am glad the football team has done well, but miss march madness with my team in it

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4655578)
Hopefully next year we can actually compete or attempt too, i miss not having my team in the NCAA Tourney...

I am glad the football team has done well, but miss march madness with my team in it

Understand...

I hope FatGino can keep building on this years Orange Bowl... Also I would like to beat MU this year as well... :)

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655581)
Understand...

I hope FatGino can keep building on this years Orange Bowl... Also I would like to beat MU this year as well... :)

Should be another fun year for both clubs...atleast we got college football since the chiefs will suck baows

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 10:52 AM

Self has a better W/L %age at KU than Roy.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655551)
My point on Roy/Self was that most of Jayhawk fans would probably have Roy as a coach (myself included) than Self, and it would really help on Selfs part to put some sort of a big **** you to all those fans by winning that game.

Hey to be honest I think Roy will always be a better coach regardless of what happens, but it would really be nice to take it to UNC. At least it would feel good.

I was much more upset about the hiring of Self than I was with Roy leaving. At his press conference, Self responded to questions regarding the Big-10 style by saying "we're going to run because that's what you do in the Big 12", and then spent a couple of years trying to shove the high-low down players' throats. Since then though, I've really respected what he's done, and I while I still enjoy watching Roy's style, I like watching Self's Jayhawks even more, because they can get after it on both sides of the ball.

I completely agree that it would make for a great, almost circle-of-life moment if Kansas and UNC met and Kansas won. Roy's last moment as a Jayhawk will always go down as "I don't give a sh*t about North Carolina" after the NC game, and several years later it could be "I don't give a sh*t about Kansas" in the Final Four. But, my point is that I don't think Bill Self cares about all of that stuff, and I don't think that's why he'll lose sleep if they beat Davidson and meet UNC.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655436)
If Kansas wins, I can't really remember an easier road to the final four for a team in quite some time.

Man, I love this idiocy. Yes, you can. You can look at many factors. First, UCLA and UNC got to play RIGHT NEXT TO HOME. Basically, the Jayhawks playing at the Sprint Center, which, if it happened, ESPN would implode.

But let's not overlook UCLA, who, on paper before the tournament, had hands down the easiest bracket. Further, they had to rely on a horrendous no-call to get past another Big 12 team in Texas A&M. They should have crushed A&M.

Quote:

Not really trying to take anyway from KU, but I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks that Portland St, UNLV, Nova, and Davidson are anywhere near the level of that of UNC. If they win and UNC wins I just hope to god KU plays their A game against the Tar Heels. I mean this road easily could have been against teams like GTown, Vandy, Clemson, and Wisc.
I have not and will not every get this logic. If the other high seeds lose to lower seeds that means the last standing high seed had an easy road. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Because if they have the hardest possible road to the final four and lose by 1 in 3OT to the #2 seed, people will complain they choked. Man, it's nothing but preemptively trying to discredit someone's success.

Further, why is it Kansas' fault? Why are you blaming (essentially) Kansas for something that they have ZERO control over.

Quote:

When the brackets came out I thought KU had the easiest road to the Final 4, but I don't think anyone could have predicted the upsets that have occurred. There are many many times in the dance where the best teams don't win. That's what makes this event every year to be the biggest gambling and sports betting event, that's what makes this fun, people like to root for the underdog.
So March Madness is really good and upsets ROCK, but that hurts the #1 seed still playing. :doh!::rolleyes:

Quote:

I just hope KU is ready to play. This is the last shot for them for a while I think. I know they need to first worry about DAV, but I will say this about Self if they advance. He has this and one and only chance to break away out from Roy Williams shadow at Kansas (if UNC makes it to the Final4). If he loses to Roy, I don't think he will ever break out of that shadow unless he wins a national title. I honestly think Self will have elephant tons of pressure on him to the point I bet he doesn't sleep at all this next week if it all plays out like I think it should. Roy has everything to gain and Self has everything to lose.
Quit. Talking.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655577)
I like Self more that Roy... Roys teams always seems to have a touch of vagianist at time... Selfs teams seem to be alot tougher...

I think we match up well with UNC and will slow the game down to force them to play Selfs ball... Like the ass whippings he gave us at UI in the tourney.

It's hard to describe, but there were times when Roy was here that I thought "we're going to lose" within the first few minutes of a game, and I was usually right. Great teams with great players, but if they had an off night, they were f***ed.

I agree, Self's teams seem to be tougher... they win games when they don't play well. They'll regroup at halftime and go on a run after struggling for 20 minutes. It's a nice balance between Roy's "we can blow anyone out, but we have a tendency to lose to sub-par teams when we aren't running at our best" and the Big 10/Big East's "we're in every game, but so is our opponent".

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655589)
Self has a better W/L %age at KU than Roy.

There's really no way in determining that. Self has coached in a far less amt of games. I don't think it's fair to compare 15 years to 5 years.

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4655601)
Man, I love this idiocy. Yes, you can. You can look at many factors. First, UCLA and UNC got to play RIGHT NEXT TO HOME. Basically, the Jayhawks playing at the Sprint Center, which, if it happened, ESPN would implode.

But let's not overlook UCLA, who, on paper before the tournament, had hands down the easiest bracket. Further, they had to rely on a horrendous no-call to get past another Big 12 team in Texas A&M. They should have crushed A&M.

I have not and will not every get this logic. If the other high seeds lose to lower seeds that means the last standing high seed had an easy road. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Because if they have the hardest possible road to the final four and lose by 1 in 3OT to the #2 seed, people will complain they choked. Man, it's nothing but preemptively trying to discredit someone's success.

Further, why is it Kansas' fault? Why are you blaming (essentially) Kansas for something that they have ZERO control over.

So March Madness is really good and upsets ROCK, but that hurts the #1 seed still playing. :doh!::rolleyes:

Quit. Talking.

I really think you missed my point entirely.

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655626)
There's really no way in determining that. Self has coached in a far less amt of games. I don't think it's fair to compare 15 years to 5 years.

The gap will only widen. Self won 33 games last year and already has 34 this year. Or compare Selfs first 5 vs. Roy's first 5. Self wins.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655630)
I really think you missed my point entirely.

No, I don't think I did. You used really stupid logic to set up the point that we will probably lose to UNC. It's a form of an excuse; Kansas didn't play anybody so they aren't ready for the "big dog" in UNC.

You mention upsets being good, yet their bad. You mention Georgetown, Wisconsin, Clemson, and Vandy yet you say Kansas had the easiest road. If Wisconsin had won, you wouldn't have said the same thing you're saying now. Clemson was talked and talked and talked to beat KU and then couldn't make it out of the first round. Vandy didn't last. And, yet, KU stomps on the team that beats Clemson, yet we've "had it easy".

Georgetown loses to Davidson and then Wisconsin loses to Davidson. Great story. Unless you play Kansas. Then it's "Kansas had it easy".

All of those points have nothing to do with the fact that when we play UNC we have to come to play. It just seems you're trying to knock us before we've stepped on the court by pointing at the supposed "cakewalk".

schneider221 03-29-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Quit. Talking.

In the long run it doesn't really matter. If KU makes the final four we might hear from a few people about how easy the run was but once next year rolls around people will only remember that they were in the final four and not who they played to get there.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneider221 (Post 4655647)
In the long run it doesn't really matter. If KU makes the final four we might hear from a few people about how easy the run was but once next year rolls around people will only remember that they were in the final four and not who they played to get there.

Can't deny or debate that.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4655643)
All of those points have nothing to do with the fact that when we play UNC we have to come to play.

*cough*IF*cough

I mean, UNC might lose to Louisville. LMAO :evil:

Quote:

:clap:

People say Self chokes because he can't get past the Elite Eight, yet he's been there a lot. What they don't say is that once you get there, your competition doesn't get any better. You have 3 games against teams that are either 1-3 seeds or teams that are on fire and very dangerous. It would be one thing if the SS and EE were on different weekends, but teams that win their SS game are steamrolling ahead to the Elite Eight.

Everyone talks about the Final Four as the destination... get there and you've had a great season. What's the difference between EE games like KU/UCLA last year or UNC/Louisville or Texas/Memphis and FF games like Texas/UCLA or KU/UNC? Nothing. The free rides have stopped, regardless of whether your opponent as a 2 or 10 in front of their name.