ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports 2008 NBA Draft Lottery (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184967)

Mecca 05-20-2008 06:59 PM

Do you realize how hard it is to get a Center?

If he is a good player, which I suspect he will be because he is a plus blocker and rebounder then it was still worth it.

ChiefsCountry 05-20-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 4760446)
A number one pick last year and we have to wait to see him play?

That statement alone says that was a bad pick.

Not really. Spurs had to wait two years for David Robinson and that turned out okay for them. A potential franchise center is most valuable thing an NBA team can have.

Basileus777 05-20-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 4760446)
A number one pick last year and we have to wait to see him play?

That statement alone says that was a bad pick.

Not at all. NBA picks often take years to develop. Who cares if he missed one year, the bigger concern is how much the microfracture surgery affects his athleticism.

Mecca 05-20-2008 07:01 PM

Golden State is waiting on the PF they got last year, teams do it frequently. Jermaine O'Neal didn't step on the floor for 2 years.

Fairplay 05-20-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 4760453)
Not at all. NBA picks often take years to develop. Who cares if he missed one year, the bigger concern is how much the microfracture surgery affects his athleticism.

I'll try to remember this argument one year from now. If its the same, we gotta wait.............:shake:

The Bad Guy 05-20-2008 07:05 PM

Proclaiming Oden was a bad pick is ridiculous.

Every GM in basketball would have taken him #1 overall.

Hydrae 05-20-2008 07:55 PM

For Portland's sake they better hope this isn't Walton part deux.

Mr. Laz 05-20-2008 08:06 PM

Bulls need inside scoring .... badly

imo this almost guarantees that beasley is the #1 pick

Spott 05-20-2008 08:21 PM

I never got to see Beasley play much except for the NCAA tournament. Is he really good enough to be the #1 pick?

Mr. Laz 05-20-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 4760553)
I never got to see Beasley play much except for the NCAA tournament. Is he really good enough to be the #1 pick?

yes ... and this if from a KU fan, so it's not homer vision.

i'm trying to think of somebody to compare to, but can't really think of a good one.

let's just say that he plays with the ease of LeBron James but at a different position.

Basileus777 05-20-2008 08:35 PM

Beasley is worth the #1 pick, but he's not an Oden type prospect. He reminds me of a bigger stronger Melo. He's a great scorer who has a great inside-outside game. He can work in the post, has a great mid-range game, and can attack the basket and draw fouls. He's a good rebounder too. His defense is the question. He could improve defensively, but he's is never going to be someone who can anchor your defense. I don't think there is much chance he will bust because he will be able to score in the NBA, but he doesn't have the potential Rose has.

the Talking Can 05-20-2008 08:42 PM

poor Memphis.....they have gotten butt slammed in the last two drafts....

Spott 05-20-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 4760567)
yes ... and this if from a KU fan, so it's not homer vision.

i'm trying to think of somebody to compare to, but can't really think of a good one.

let's just say that he plays with the ease of LeBron James but at a different position.

Thanks. I have seen Rose play and wouldn't mind having him either, but they would almost certainly have to trade Hinrich if they drafted him.

BWillie 05-20-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4760429)
Also for the record, Derrick Rose game doesn't translate that well to the NBA if anyone thinks he's Chris Paul they're mistaken..

His T/O ratio isn't that great he's a blah foul shooter and he doesn't have 3 range, he needs some developing for the NBA game. He has the body and the dribble drive but the rest he has to develop if he wants to be a top notch guy.

I have to agree with Mecca on this one. Rose is a guy who averaged 14 points a game, granted on a good team but he just doesn't look dominant to me. He utilized his size well to take advantage on many guards in the college ranks which made it easier for him to do what he wants. He's not going to have that luxury at the next level. The fact that Rose doesn't have good 3 range doesn't help. I'm sure he'll be a good player, but the Bull's would be reeruned if the didn't pick up Beasley. He's like Carlos Boozer except he can shoot.

KevB 05-20-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4760429)
Also for the record, Derrick Rose game doesn't translate that well to the NBA if anyone thinks he's Chris Paul they're mistaken..

His T/O ratio isn't that great he's a blah foul shooter and he doesn't have 3 range, he needs some developing for the NBA game. He has the body and the dribble drive but the rest he has to develop if he wants to be a top notch guy.

Chris Paul shot 28% from 3pt range as a rookie. It's not like he's a dead eye. Sure he has to develop, but he's got almost everything you want. He'll be bigger/stronger/faster than most PG's he goes against, so he'll be able to get by guys and finish and distribute. I think, depending on the team, you'll also see him become a good post-up guard. His shooting stroke is decent, so I expect him to get better there with repetition. He also just has "it". Can't be measured, but you know it when you see it. Memphis got out and ran quite a bit, but we're going to see this kid do some things on the court that a point guard isn't supposed to do.