ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brian Harold Billick next HC for KC ??? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201174)

TEX 01-26-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 5429063)
I wouldn't mind having Billick as the coach, I actually was hoping he would get it when Gun got hired.

Me too, but now I'm not so sure. We could do a lot worse I suppose.

Mr. Laz 01-26-2009 07:38 PM

somebody shoot me in the face

plbrdude 01-26-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5429032)
A name that i think is a dark horse out there is Marv Levy

4 straight SB's and no ring to show for it

fixed your post

bevis369 01-26-2009 07:46 PM

Heck no...

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 09:33 PM

Billick gets a bad rap because he's a supposed "offensive genius" and his Ravens teams were lacking on offense.

His mistake was putting faith in Matt Cavanaugh as his OC, and his personnel department never getting him a legit QB.

The Ravens always hit on their defensive draft picks, but for the most part, whiffed on their offensive picks. Billick seems to take the blame for that.

I personally think Billick is a hell of a gameday coach - and on the occasions where he took over the playcalling from Cavanaugh, the offense responded.

Much like getting Shanahan a solid DC, I think if you pair Billick with a solid OC (or let him call his own plays), he'd be a damn good choice.

milkman 01-26-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429738)
Billick gets a bad rap because he's a supposed "offensive genius" and his Ravens teams were lacking on offense.

His mistake was putting faith in Matt Cavanaugh as his OC, and his personnel department never getting him a legit QB.

The Ravens always hit on their defensive draft picks, but for the most part, whiffed on their offensive picks. Billick seems to take the blame for that.

I personally think Billick is a hell of a gameday coach - and on the occasions where he took over the playcalling from Cavanaugh, the offense responded.

Much like getting Shanahan a solid DC, I think if you pair Billick with a solid OC (or let him call his own plays), he'd be a damn good choice.

You know, Billick with a GM who can find him the talent on both sides of the ball isn't really that bad of an idea at all.

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5429784)
You know, Billick with a GM who can find him the talent on both sides of the ball isn't really that bad of an idea at all.

My sarcasm meter has been on the fritz, so I'm going to assume you're agreeing with me.

Seriously - look at who they hit on the offensive side of the ball:

Jonathan Ogden and Jamal Lewis. Todd Heap would count if he could stay healthy.

Otherwise, Newsome really let Billick down. Awful, awful picks on the offensive side of the ball. The next best picks were Casey Rabach and Edwin Mulitalo, who were backups for most of Billick's time.

milkman 01-26-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429800)
My sarcasm meter has been on the fritz, so I'm going to assume you're agreeing with me.

Seriously - look at who they hit on the offensive side of the ball:

Jonathan Ogden and Jamal Lewis. Todd Heap would count if he could stay healthy.

Otherwise, Newsome really let Billick down. Awful, awful picks on the offensive side of the ball. The next best picks were Casey Rabach and Edwin Mulitalo, who were backups for most of Billick's time.

Yes, I was agreeing.
No sarcasm at all.

I do think Billick gets a bad rap, as you said.

Just look at his QBs.
Dilfer, GrBac and Boller.

That's Carl pathetic.

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5429831)
Yes, I was agreeing.
No sarcasm at all.

I do think Billick gets a bad rap, as you said.

Just look at his QBs.
Dilfer, GrBac and Boller.

That's Carl pathetic.

Don't forget Anthony Wright and Chris Redman.

blueballs 01-26-2009 10:06 PM

heck no
we just got rid of one QB killer

RealSNR 01-26-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

This. He might be overrated as an offense coach, but his teams were all about common sense. The Ravens were a feared team when he was coach because he was a great gameday coach. He's everything Herm Edwards isn't.

DeezNutz 01-26-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

How much say did he have in personnel decisions, though? Being an "offensive guy," it seems odd that he wouldn't have had a huge say in whom the team would draft on that side of the ball, especially at QB.

He's got to own this right? Talking strictly about player acquisitions, I'm not sure I see the difference in excusing Billick for the offensive failings and excusing Herm for some of the defensive failings in KC. Carl just didn't get the right players. Herm put too much faith in Gun. See what I mean?

I don't know that much about the Ravens, so perhaps someone could tell me where I'm going wrong?

In no way am I comparing Herm and BB as far as game-day strategy, just to be extra clear.

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5429889)
How much say did he have in personnel decisions, though? Being an "offensive guy," it seems odd that he wouldn't have had a huge say in whom the team would draft on that side of the ball, especially at QB.

He's got to own this right? Talking strictly about player acquisitions, I'm not sure I see the difference in excusing Billick for the offensive failings and excusing Herm for some of the defensive failings in KC. Carl just didn't get the right players. Herm put too much faith in Gun. See what I mean?

I don't know that much about the Ravens, so perhaps someone could tell me where I'm going wrong.

In no way am I comparing Herm and BB as far as game-day strategy, just to be extra clear.

I've followed the Ravens as closely as any NFL team not named "Chiefs" since Billick was hired.

Billick and his coaches gave Newsome and the staff suggestions, but ultimately, it was always Newsome's call. Billick gave Newsome free-reign after getting pissed about a trade with Atlanta that sent Baltimore's 2nd round pick in 1999 to the Falcons for their 1st in 2000.

Atlanta ended up sucking ass in 2000, and the Ravens turned that pick into Jamal Lewis.

From that moment on, Billick always deferred to Newsome on personnel matters.

DeezNutz 01-26-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429902)
I've followed the Ravens as closely as any NFL team not named "Chiefs" since Billick was hired.

Billick and his coaches gave Newsome and the staff suggestions, but ultimately, it was always Newsome's call. Billick gave Newsome free-reign after getting pissed about a trade with Atlanta that sent Baltimore's 2nd round pick in 1999 to the Falcons for their 1st in 2000.

Atlanta ended up sucking ass in 2000, and the Ravens turned that pick into Jamal Lewis.

From that moment on, Billick always deferred to Newsome on personnel matters.

Great information. I didn't know any of this.

I follow Baltimore only so much as they're covered on the Sunday pre-game shows.

Sounds like my perception of BB might be completely ****ing wrong.

Mecca 01-26-2009 10:36 PM

Billick got the benefit of great draft picks like Travis Taylor...

I really have nothing against Billick, hiring him wouldn't bother me he seems to understand both sides of the ball are important.

Not to mention for the Cunningham remark he was laying brick in Las Vegas before he got the call from the Vikings.