ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Don't Chiefs need a 2nd or 2 firsts for a successful 2009 draft? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205263)

KCChiefsMan 04-03-2009 12:24 AM

well if you look at it, we have a starter at QB for a 2nd round pick that has only 1 year of wear and tear on him, unless you count practice. So I would say whoever we draft in the 1st/Cassell/3rd is looking to be a pretty good first day if you ask me.

Fairplay 04-03-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5636553)
There are no defensive line "studs", especially true defensive ends that we know of in this draft. No Bruce Smith, Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, etc.

The draft is absolutely loaded with high quality offensive lineman that would immediately upgrade the Chiefs line (maybe for a decade) but moving down a few spots would still be way, way, way too high for these guys.

DHB could be a possibility at #12-17 but the Chiefs would have to absolutely love him because he's a boom or bust guy.

I agree with the DE situation in this draft. Sad to say, even with this high a pick. I like B.J. Raji but he is a tackle. We need a rush to the QB.

And we need an o-line really bad. Pioli will trade down i think. Draft day will be so controversial around here thats for sure whatever we do.

And i can assure you that there is an 95% guarantee that Mecca won't like what the Chiefs organization does with the picks.

ChiefsCountry 04-03-2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrockaholic4life (Post 5636467)
As much as I like Albert, I would take Ryan Clady and the 18th pick for our #3 in a heartbeat.

Thats pretty dumb. Clady was perfectly suited for Shanny's offense and most of it said so last year during the draft. Albert is a gifted tackle, we need to be a little patience and he will be the best in the league or close to it.

KCrockaholic 04-03-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5636550)
Why in hell would Denver give up Clady? Who would be their left tackle, especially after trading their picks to get a QB?

I dont think I ever said that they would give up Clady. I was hypothetically discussing Clady, refering to Claythans post. I know it will never happen. I was just thinking it would be pretty awesome if that deal did come up.

KCrockaholic 04-03-2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5636553)
There are no defensive line "studs", especially true defensive ends that we know of in this draft. No Bruce Smith, Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, etc.

The draft is absolutely loaded with high quality offensive lineman that would immediately upgrade the Chiefs line (maybe for a decade) but moving down a few spots would still be way, way, way too high for these guys.

DHB could be a possibility at #12-17 but the Chiefs would have to absolutely love him because he's a boom or bust guy.

I would rather take Harvin in those spots than DHB.

King_Chief_Fan 04-03-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 5636037)
For the first time in years and years I feel like KC is holding the cards and is in a position to be able to make/offer deals and have the advantage instead of the other way around.

There aren't many suitors that can trade up to the 3rd pick.

I say pick the best player available and work like hell to make a trade after you pick. Maybe someone will covet the pick they make.

Go Mizzou & Chiefs 04-03-2009 06:28 AM

draft curry then trade lj and waters for a 2nd

MahiMike 04-03-2009 06:43 AM

I stand by the notion that the #3 will be traded down to get more picks. I hear Denver wants Sanchez...

chiefzilla1501 04-03-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan1963 (Post 5635980)
Is just getting Curry and then waiting for our 2nd pick in the 3rd round sufficient for chiefs to be successful in the 2009 draft? I'm curious what others are thinking regarding the draft. Wouldn't trading our 3rd pick for more picks make more sense rather than pay Curry huge guarantee money. I won't be surprised if Pioli does this.

I'm sorry. I know people are getting tired of this argument. But this is a clear year when you're better off trading down and sacrificing some trade value than to adhere to the draft value chart.

I would trade down as far as maybe #10 in exchange for a 2nd round pick and some other low round pick, to hell with the fact that the draft chart says. In this draft, is there anyone that disagrees that a #10 and a #74 pick would be nicer than a #3 pick? With those two picks, you could easily get a linebacker like Maualuga (who I believe is a much better fit for the eventual 3-4 than Curry is) and probably Everett Brown or Raji (assuming his trade value doesn't decline majorly after his drug test). In the second round, you can grab one of the top centers or guards off the board.

BigRedChief 04-03-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan1963 (Post 5636019)
I guess we have another option on draft day which is to trade LJ for picks.

LJ isn't worth anything. All he is is leftover baggage from the King Carl era. LJ will be cut if they win their case.

The Bad Guy 04-03-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5636040)
If Cassel becomes KC's QBOTF and leads the team to some playoff wins and Curry becomes a pro bowl caliber LB then it is a successful draft/offseason.

This is already a successful offseason - Herm and Carl are gone.

Jethopper 04-03-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 5636733)

Agreed

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-03-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5636016)
This.

People dont seem to understand that Cassel IS our 2nd round pick and likely will have more immediate impact than any 2nd rounder from the draft this year.

Yep. + we got Vrabel as well.

htismaqe 04-03-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 5636733)

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5636040)
If Cassel becomes KC's QBOTF and leads the team to some playoff wins and Curry becomes a pro bowl caliber LB then it is a successful draft/offseason.

If Cassel plays well, that's a success in and of itself. No need to include Curry. :)

Trade down!

htismaqe 04-03-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 5636706)
I'm sorry. I know people are getting tired of this argument. But this is a clear year when you're better off trading down and sacrificing some trade value than to adhere to the draft value chart.

Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner!