ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU Dickie V. picks KU to win the title next year (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205515)

Mr. Krab 04-07-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5647725)
Self did in 5 years what Roy never did in 18. Win a NC at Kansas.

Exactly. Roy can do in UNC what he couldn't do at KU. Which is a reflection on KU and the recruiting etc at KU. Of course KU fans like Bill Self and he won't be fired either way but the national battle for prominence is on and KU and Self need to keep up.

DeezNutz 04-07-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 5647744)
I gotta think that if Self were at UNC, they'd still be winning titles.

He's a superior coach AND recruiter when compared to Roy, IMO.

I know some KU fans might take offense, but I think UNC is slightly ahead of KU in terms of prestige. Frankly, I'd be concerned if Roy couldn't win there, considering what he has at his disposal.

UNC is the top program in college basketball, and I don't even see this as really being arguable. They're 1A.

The other top programs, KU, Duke, UCLA, etc., are 1B. Still great, but not quite on the same level. Obviously, this all assumes these programs keep elite-level coaches. Even UNC has fallen on hard times with the wrong guy as the HC.

Brock 04-07-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5647751)
Exactly. Roy can do in UNC what he couldn't do at KU. Which is a reflection on what he did at KU and the recruiting etc he did at KU. .

FYP

Chiefs Pantalones 04-07-2009 11:44 AM

Yeah I'm totally over the Roy thing. He did great for us, but didn't achieve the goal he set out to do, which was win a title. Self did. Sure we all were pissed at how Roy left and pretty much said he never would, I'll never blame him for leaving, but just don't say you never will. The ass kicking we gave UNC ended it all for me. He can go on and win however many titles he wants at UNC, as long as it's not at KU's expense. Also, not to mention, it's easy to win at UNC. KU is no smug obviously, duh, just saying it's sexier to go there. So in my opinion, that makes Self's title more impressive than Roy's titles. Just my opinion though.

Gdaddy 04-07-2009 11:49 AM

Vitale picked NC this year, not kiss of death....
Meeks is testing the NBA, he isnt hiring an agent.

CoMoChief 04-07-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 5647744)
I gotta think that if Self were at UNC, they'd still be winning titles.

He's a superior coach AND recruiter when compared to Roy, IMO.

I know some KU fans might take offense, but I think UNC is slightly ahead of KU in terms of prestige. Frankly, I'd be concerned if Roy couldn't win there, considering what he has at his disposal.

Self and Roy are both the same in terms of recruiting. Some of the best KU players ever came under his watch. People forget that now that Self won the title at Kansas.

Pants 04-07-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5647802)
Self and Roy are both the same in terms of recruiting. Some of the best KU players ever came under his watch. People forget that now that Self won the title at Kansas.

Self is a better recruiter.

Mr. Krab 04-07-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5647764)
FYP

Which might be exactly true but it won't be seen that way in the national light. It will be seen has Roy is a great coach who finally could get the players he REALLY wanted now that he's at a superior school in UNC.

I'm not saying that is true
but unless Self proves it wrong by competing directly with Roy and UNC then that will be the perception.

CoMoChief 04-07-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 5647809)
Self is a better recruiter.

How so? I'm not bashing Self here, I just don't think theres a clear difference on whos a better recruiter. Like I said before many all time KU greats came under Roy's watch.

htismaqe 04-07-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5647802)

Make no mistake about it, Roy got good players at KU. Self did a good job at Illinois though, which is not even close to the same recruiting level as UNC and KU, even with Chicago in their backyard.

Pants 04-07-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5647820)
How so? I'm not bashing Self here, I just don't think theres a clear difference on whos a better recruiter. Like I said before many all time KU greats came under Roy's watch.

Self gets 4-5 stars year in and year out.

DJay23 04-07-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5647761)
UNC is the top program in college basketball, and I don't even see this as really being arguable. They're 1A.

The other top programs, KU, Duke, UCLA, etc., are 1B. Still great, but not quite on the same level. Obviously, this all assumes these programs keep elite-level coaches. Even UNC has fallen on hard times with the wrong guy as the HC.

I think UNC is now either tied or within 2 wins of Kentucky as far as all time wins. Kansas is 3rd. In light of UK's recent purchase, i think they are on the road back to relevance.

CoMoChief 04-07-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 5647825)
Self gets 4-5 stars year in and year out.

So does Roy

Mr. Plow 04-07-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5647812)
Which might be exactly true but it won't be seen that way in the national light. It will be seen has Roy is a great coach who finally could get the players he REALLY wanted now that he's at a superior school in UNC.

I'm not saying that is true
but unless Self proves it wrong by competing directly with Roy and UNC then that will be the perception.

ROFL

Self competes with all the major schools - not just Roy & UNC.

Pants 04-07-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5647832)
So does Roy

Yeah, he does at UNC.