ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs What's the Point Of Grading Drafts Of Players Who Haven't Played (Grade 2006 Draft) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206800)

mlyonsd 04-27-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 5718846)
If cassell turns out to be great, does Pollard's grade go up?

LOL, that's bad.

EyePod 04-27-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 5718872)
Wow.

You guys are focused on "winning the press conference" when the only thing that matters is winning the game.

Who cares if someone thinks we could have gotten better "value" with some different player at that pick.

If the players we take come in and fit the puzzle being assembled, it doesn't matter whether we get them at #3 or #256.

I'll take the right player in the 1st round who everyone else projected as a 7th round pick every day, if he helps us win the games we've been losing for the last decade.

Are you Al Davis? I'd rather take that guy in the 6th at least....

jAZ 04-27-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyePod (Post 5718885)
Are you Al Davis? I'd rather take that guy in the 6th at least....

If they are the right player to help us win games and championships, no one cares when they are drafted. I'm not saying it matters zero, I'm saying winning matters, and all of the hand wringing about projected value today is pointless.

If you are just having fun with all of this, then it's no big deal. But if you are genuniely torching the team and coaches because you know what's right and they did what's wrong, you are an idiot.

Winning is the only thing.

Reaper16 04-27-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 5718865)
You win games and championships with players and coaches, not with draft grades and picks.

So if draft grades aren't about the players or winning games, then I don't think anyone should give a shit about them.

Quote:

Wow.

You guys are focused on "winning the press conference" when the only thing that matters is winning the game.

Who cares if someone thinks we could have gotten better "value" with some different player at that pick.

If the players we take come in and fit the puzzle being assembled, it doesn't matter whether we get them at #3 or #256.

I'll take the right player in the 1st round who everyone else projected as a 7th round pick every day, if he helps us win the games we've been losing for the last decade.

Its about resource management, and Pioli was inefficient at it this weekend. Now, you're right in a sense in that if Pioli hits on all these guys then the point that it was a poor draft, value wise, is going to be moot.

I'm having trouble thinking of a successful modern team besides the Patriots who "mismanages" the draft to this degree. It may be that Pioli and Haley are wildly successful at finding players for their schemes and philosophies, and that typical draft value can be ignored without worry. I hope that that becomes the case. I can't see it being likely, though.

Blindside58 04-27-2009 11:44 AM

Nice Change-up Thread! Do 05 and 04 Next.

Chiefnj2 04-27-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Wow.

Right now it is the only thing to focus on. The draft is a 6 month buildup. You can't expect 6 months of anticipation to blow over immediately. Time will tell. If Jackson ends up being like Seymour and Cassel turns into a good reliable QB then Pioli will be CP genius.

Reaper16 04-27-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 5718989)
Right now it is the only thing to focus on. The draft is a 6 month buildup. You can't expect 6 months of anticipation to blow over immediately. Time will tell. If Jackson ends up being like Seymour and Cassel turns into a good reliable QB then Pioli will be CP genius.

Who doesn't expect Cassel to be "good, reliable?" Especially given the dearth of good starting QBs in the league? We'd better hope that Cassel is more than just good and reliable.

Nzoner 04-27-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5718900)
I'm having trouble thinking of a successful modern team besides the Patriots who "mismanages" the draft to this degree. It may be that Pioli and Haley are wildly successful at finding players for their schemes and philosophies, and that typical draft value can be ignored without worry. I hope that that becomes the case. I can't see it being likely, though.

I like what Gil Brandt said,"Scouting is an inexact science, but it is also a very thorough science. So much goes into the evaluation of college prospects, who will be taking part in NFL minicamps in just a few short weeks.

After scouting games in person, watching hours and hours of game tape, checking out players at the combine and pro days around the country, draft boards are taking shape. Of course, draft boards vary from team to team. As I've always said, some people like rocky road ice cream and some people prefer vanilla."

And for the fwiw he also said Jackson would be a top 5 pick.

Like you though all I can do is hope right now.

EyePod 04-27-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5718900)
Its about resource management, and Pioli was inefficient at it this weekend. Now, you're right in a sense in that if Pioli hits on all these guys then the point that it was a poor draft, value wise, is going to be moot.

I wholeheartedly agree. I am in the hoping stage, but I'm not too hopeful...

Nzoner 04-27-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyePod (Post 5719182)
I am in the hoping stage, but I'm not too hopeful...

I'm more hopeful now than I've been in years,just not quite enough to break down and get season tickets again.