ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek Discussion Thread For Those Who Have Seen It - WITH SPOILERS (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207413)

Braincase 05-08-2009 10:01 PM

Oh, yeah - Karl Urban's voice inflections and timbre were better than I would've hoped for. He made a good McCoy.

Deberg_1990 05-08-2009 10:08 PM

Heres a really good review from someone over at aint it cool news. Pretty much adresses all the concerns most have mentioned here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41016

Fish 05-08-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 5751667)
I like the idea of a new Star Trek timeline, an alternate alternate reality. That means in the future Star Trek can be completely different with no Kirstie Alley. That's a win - maybe the Tuvok family got out alive.

The Uhura-Spock thing was an interesting twist.

How many of you thought during the high-dive onto the mining laser, "Y'know, the guy in red ain't gonna make it."

All in all, I had a great time. One of the more entertaining flicks I've seen in awhile. Tomorrow night some friends of mine and I are discussing either going to see Star Trek again, or going to see the Royals @ the Angels.

Captain: We're going on an away mission. Ensign Cannon Fodder, would you be so kind as to join the rest of us?

Deberg_1990 05-08-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5749707)
1. I thought Nero was a weak villain. Also, are we really supposed to believe that they just sat there waiting for Spock for 25 years? That's the single dumbest aspect of the movie.

Here is the first ive heard about this. Apparantly Abrams cut out scenes that mentioned what Nero had been doing.....

http://chud.com/articles/articles/19...AKE/Page1.html

"Also hurting Nero is the decision to cut a key sequence from the movie. As the film stands now, Nero appears 25 years before the film's present and kills Kirk's father. It then skips ahead 25 years where Nero comes out of nowhere in an attempt to kill Spock from the future, who is also time traveling by accident. Audiences have to wonder 'What the **** has Nero been doing for the last quarter of a century? Just sitting around?' It turns out he was captured by Klingons and held on their prison planet; test audiences didn't like the scenes about the Klingons so Abrams cut them, turning a villain who was already weak into a villain who is also lazy and stupid. It's a shockingly bad decision, and I think indicative of the problems with the test screening process"

DaneMcCloud 05-08-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5751582)
oh....and Michael Giacchinos score was rock solid perfect. That dude is great.

I thought it utterly and completely sucked ass.

There was no memorable opening theme and his cues were completely forgettable.

Buehler445 05-08-2009 11:47 PM

Just got back. Great movie. Very well done. I would have loved to see it in IMAX. I'm with you on the Nero part, but I understand it was more about character development than was a bad guy.

Movie was a BAMF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5751997)
Here is the first ive heard about this. Apparantly Abrams cut out scenes that mentioned what Nero had been doing.....

"Also hurting Nero is the decision to cut a key sequence from the movie. As the film stands now, Nero appears 25 years before the film's present and kills Kirk's father. It then skips ahead 25 years where Nero comes out of nowhere in an attempt to kill Spock from the future, who is also time traveling by accident. Audiences have to wonder 'What the **** has Nero been doing for the last quarter of a century? Just sitting around?' It turns out he was captured by Klingons and held on their prison planet; test audiences didn't like the scenes about the Klingons so Abrams cut them, turning a villain who was already weak into a villain who is also lazy and stupid. It's a shockingly bad decision, and I think indicative of the problems with the test screening process"

That would make a lot more sense about the message from the KLINGON PRISON CAMP. :doh!:

Frazod 05-08-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Damn, no wonder they cut that out. Whoever thought of that lame ass idea should have been sent to the prison planet.

kysirsoze 05-09-2009 02:58 AM

One issue I had was why would they have to drill into the planet to "plant" the black hole. Wouldn't dropping it on the surface essentially be just as good?

Deberg_1990 05-09-2009 07:55 AM

Another thing i just thought of....

Did they ever show how they took the Ceti eel out of Capt. Pike? All i remember is them dropping it in him, then KIrk rescuing him later and he was fine? Sounds like another cut scene somewhere?

StcChief 05-09-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

this has been going on for quite awhile.....
Opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one , they all stink.

Be a director, how much "time" would it add to the film to complete the story. :shake:

Frazod 05-09-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5752245)
Another thing i just thought of....

Did they ever show how they took the Ceti eel out of Capt. Pike? All i remember is them dropping it in him, then KIrk rescuing him later and he was fine? Sounds like another cut scene somewhere?

Well, he was in a wheelchair at the end of the movie. Perhaps they couldn't remove it and it permanently ****ed him up.

007 05-09-2009 03:17 PM

Oh I enjoyed this VERY much. Bones was nails. Kirk, spot on!!! Young Spock perfect.

I agree that Nero was weak in the film but having the back story from the comic made that much easier for me to deal with.

My only real issue with the movie was the fact that they had Kirk and Spock basically the same age. Maybe I just misunderstand Vulcan aging concept but he should have looked older than Kirk. Minor issue though and doesn't detract from the movie at all.

When they made the space leap I laughed though. My son didn't get it until I explained to him afterwards that the guy in red always died.

I absolutely loved the humor in this and really feel for the people with no trek history to go on that missed some of the classic zingers.

Personally, I enjoyed this much more than Dark Knight.

Buehler445 05-09-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5752372)
Well, he was in a wheelchair at the end of the movie. Perhaps they couldn't remove it and it permanently ****ed him up.

That was my thought also. It was supposed to make him spill the beans about the code, so I didn't think it was supposed to alter his speech.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990 05-09-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5752733)
That was my thought also. It was supposed to make him spill the beans about the code, so I didn't think it was supposed to alter his speech.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those are the same eels that were in Wrath of Khan right?

If they were, how come they didnt make Pike loyal to Nero and his every command like in Khan?

When young Kirk approached Pike, he whipped out a phaser and shot a member of Nero's crew without even blinking.

Frazod 05-09-2009 04:41 PM

Again, I assume there will be an extended DVD that answers all our questions.

I hope it's about four hours long.