ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 7 to be released October 22nd (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208497)

Saulbadguy 06-04-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5816168)
You should always give Microsoft products at least 6 months to work out the bugs before you buy them. Preferably a full year.

For a business environment, I would agree.

For home, I see no problems with early adoption these days unless you are running exotic hardware or legacy apps.

DaFace 06-04-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5816168)
You should always give Microsoft products at least 6 months to work out the bugs before you buy them. Preferably a full year.

I'm not sure that applies when your other option is continuing to use Vista.

Otter 06-04-2009 09:46 AM

I see trying to discuss any aspect of an operating system on the internet without it turning into a MAC vs Windows pissing match reamains impossible.

* hey, look at me, I like MAC, i'm better than you!
* no you're not!
* uh huh, i've never had a virus!
* but you lack flexibility!

and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - it's a matter of preference. If you were a true power user who wanted a better understanding of low level functions and the ability to customize everything you would be using LINUX.

They're both awesome in ways and they both suck in ways - deal with it and please, pretty please with sugar on top - shut the **** up about it already.

Saulbadguy 06-04-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 5816216)
I see trying to discuss any aspect of an operating system on the internet without it turning into a MAC vs Windows pissing match reamains impossible.

* hey, look at me, I like MAC, i'm better than you!
* no you're not!
* uh huh, i've never had a virus!
* but you lack flexibility!

and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah - it's a matter of preference. If you were a true power user who wanted a better understanding of low level functions and the ability to customize everything you would be using LINUX.

They're both awesome in ways and they both suck in ways - deal with it and please, pretty please with sugar on top - shut the **** up about it already.

Somewhat agree - generally the people who start the pissing matches aren't Powerusers or people who work in IT, they are just your average joes who may or may not use a computer at work, and just repeat what they hear like a trained parrot.

Fish 06-04-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 5816138)
Does that make up for the extra grand you have to spend to get Apple's proprietary hardware?

If you want the truth about it.... please take a look at this very detailed study done my Tom's Hardware about Apple pricing....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ista,1985.html

But I'd rather talk about Windows 7.... which is going to be a very good OS and well worth the price....

Buehler445 06-04-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 5816248)
If you want the truth about it.... please take a look at this very detailed study done my Tom's Hardware about Apple pricing....

But I'd rather talk about Windows 7.... which is going to be a very good OS and well worth the price....

I'll bite. Why do you think that?

J Diddy 06-04-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 5816248)

I half heartedly searched but got no results. What exactly will be the difference between it and windows vista?

Fish 06-04-2009 12:57 PM

Win7 is very well designed already. It's fast. Much faster than Vista. We've been testing it for quite some time, and we're running Win7 on some older machines that had been phased out due to such sluggish Vista performance. We are in fact redeploying some of these older machines loaded with Win7 in some labs to counter some of our budget restraints. I was very surprised at how well it ran on moderately fast machines. Considerably faster startup and shutdown, and stuff like resuming from screen saver or unlocking your account. The OS is well thought out. Multiple monitor support is awesome. They've added some taskbar features that are really smart. Apps and documents are grouped on the task bar. And there are a bunch of neat features available by hovering over the icons in the taskbar. They have a file preview thingy that gives you a thumbnail pic of the document/pic/vid/etc. It's got some administration features that are going to be really nice too. Windows Media Player is improved. It will play a lot more formats by default. Fairly easy install.

Overall, I've been very impressed with it so far.

Basileus777 06-04-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 5816131)
Get the release candidate for free now. Use Vista drivers for any devices. You'll be able to use the RC until June of next year.

So the RC is stable enough for this?

HC_Chief 06-04-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5816928)

Hell yeah.

Hammock Parties 06-04-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 5816821)
Win7 is very well designed already. It's fast. Much faster than Vista. We've been testing it for quite some time, and we're running Win7 on some older machines that had been phased out due to such sluggish Vista performance. We are in fact redeploying some of these older machines loaded with Win7 in some labs to counter some of our budget restraints. I was very surprised at how well it ran on moderately fast machines. Considerably faster startup and shutdown, and stuff like resuming from screen saver or unlocking your account. The OS is well thought out. Multiple monitor support is awesome. They've added some taskbar features that are really smart. Apps and documents are grouped on the task bar. And there are a bunch of neat features available by hovering over the icons in the taskbar. They have a file preview thingy that gives you a thumbnail pic of the document/pic/vid/etc. It's got some administration features that are going to be really nice too. Windows Media Player is improved. It will play a lot more formats by default. Fairly easy install.

Overall, I've been very impressed with it so far.

Yeah all of that is very nice. I'm still running my beta and it's very, very stable. I love it. Camtasia Studio runs MUCH faster, which is good for me.

Last night I told my cousin I might actually PAY for Windows 7 because it's so nice. Then we shared a hearty laugh and dried our tears.

J Diddy 06-04-2009 02:43 PM

So what would be the easiest way to split a drive on my laptop and create a new partition on to try this sucker out?

Fish 06-04-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5817206)
Yeah all of that is very nice. I'm still running my beta and it's very, very stable. I love it. Camtasia Studio runs MUCH faster, which is good for me.

Last night I told my cousin I might actually PAY for Windows 7 because it's so nice. Then we shared a hearty laugh and dried our tears.

RC1 is considerably better than the beta too. Lots of stuff added to RC1.

Basileus777 06-04-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 5817375)
RC1 is considerably better than the beta too. Lots of stuff added to RC1.

Is there going to be a RC2?

Otter 06-04-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5816928)

Extremely stable. I've run everything from games (complex interative mmos and fps) to photoshop, Office XP...you name it, no crashes.

The only thing I would reccomend is if Win7 recognizes your hardware and it functions without problems is to hold off installing the latest drivers until the hardware gurus can catch up with Win7 specified drivers.

Drivers were the only problem I've had so far but as mentioned that was solved by unistalling the manufacturer drivers and letting Win7 use it's default version.