ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Cast Iron Cookware Questions (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=212281)

Fire Me Boy! 08-21-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5989272)
Cast iron is better for everything.

I think this would be a great slogan for a series of commercials... basing things with cast iron off things you wouldn't normally see. Like using a cast iron pan in a baseball game. Or the example above, the caveman using a cast iron pan to club his woman. Or as a flyswatter.

You'd end every one with "Cast iron... it's better for everything."

cdcox 08-22-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 5988711)
Let me know how that turns out. I still haven't tried it, but that may be a Sunday chore. I love me some gumbo.

This works for roux.

I used 1 cup flour and 1 cup canola in a cast iron skillet in a 350 oven. Stirred every 20 minutes for about 1 hour 40 min. I think I quit before it got to the brick stage. The flour kept settling out leaving a layer of oil on top. But I'd stir it back in and put it back in the oven. Threw my uncooked trinity in the roux at the end to sop up the extra oil.

This might be interesting to try again with a little less oil.

Gumbo is about an hour away.

RJ 08-22-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5993501)
This works for roux.

I used 1 cup flour and 1 cup canola in a cast iron skillet in a 350 oven. Stirred every 20 minutes for about 1 hour 40 min. I think I quit before it got to the brick stage. The flour kept settling out leaving a layer of oil on top. But I'd stir it back in and put it back in the oven. Threw my uncooked trinity in the roux at the end to sop up the extra oil.

How was it?

And what'd you put in it?

cdcox 08-22-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 5993710)
How was it?

And what'd you put in it?

It was awesome. I ate three bowls. And it will taste even better tomorrow.

Made chicken stock from scratch. I pulled the chickens out part way through and cut the breasts, legs, and thighs up and threw the bones back in.

To the roux I added chopped onions, green pepper, celery, okra, parsley, and garlic. Stirred that around and put it back in the oven to sweat.

After 30 or 40 minutes, I added stock to the roux/veggies. Then about 2 cups of the chicken, some andoullie and a pound of shrimp at the end. I also boiled the shells from the shrimp and dumped that broth into the mix.

Seasoned with Old Bay, a little cumin, Worcestershire, Tabasco (was out of Frank's), and ground pepper.

Served over white rice.

I also made rhubarb pie, which I had not had in years. :D

Fire Me Boy! 08-22-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5993501)
This works for roux.

Thanks for the report. I think this is on my list of things to do tomorrow.

Buehler445 08-22-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5993738)
It was awesome. I ate three bowls. And it will taste even better tomorrow.

Made chicken stock from scratch. I pulled the chickens out part way through and cut the breasts, legs, and thighs up and threw the bones back in.

To the roux I added chopped onions, green pepper, celery, okra, parsley, and garlic. Stirred that around and put it back in the oven to sweat.

After 30 or 40 minutes, I added stock to the roux/veggies. Then about 2 cups of the chicken, some andoullie and a pound of shrimp at the end. I also boiled the shells from the shrimp and dumped that broth into the mix.

Seasoned with Old Bay, a little cumin, Worcestershire, Tabasco (was out of Frank's), and ground pepper.

Served over white rice.

I also made rhubarb pie, which I had not had in years. :D

**** dude. YOU ARE THE MAN.

We're not worthy!:wayne: