ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop wtf is twitter? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=213466)

Fish 09-08-2009 09:33 AM

http://blogs.usatoday.com/technology...ss-babble.html

Quote:

Forty percent of Twitter posts "pointless babble"

Tweets aren't always sweet -- sometimes they're just "pointless babble."
Actually, they are 40% of the time, based on a study of 2,000 random tweets over two weeks by Pear Analytics, which released a report today. The researcher deemed 811 tweets as babble, compared to 751 (38%) as conversational, 174 (8%) as moderately interesting and 117 (6%) as self promotional.
Spam accounted for only 4%, or 75, of the tweets.
The results surprised Pear researchers, who expected a preponderance of self-promotional tweets.

By Jon Swartz

So yeah... http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7992/twittertweets.gif

Saulbadguy 09-08-2009 09:39 AM

I imagine the morons who dislike twitter are the same people who dislike(d) cell phones, e-mail, the internet, ...umbrellas.

donkhater 09-08-2009 09:48 AM

Well, I opened an account and thought it was pretty pointless, but once football season came around I started following Adam Schefter, Peter King, some fantasy football sites and the chiefs and the breaking news in the NFL is pretty instant. That's pretty much all I use it for.

Sure-Oz 09-08-2009 09:53 AM

Twitter is great if you follow the appropriate outlets. I follow alot of sports and news sites/people. Very useful for updates, and i follow a few friends and celebrities as well. Also follow restaraunts or any electronics things for updates on sales etc. Anything breaking news is instant with twitter and i often go there first for updates from schefter, or any sports analyst/reporter. its great

88TG88 09-08-2009 10:30 AM

I can see how it would be useful in running a business. But, you'd have to have like 50,000 followers to have it make a big difference.

Iowanian 09-08-2009 10:32 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how to use this to help my business. It makes sense for what I do, due to the type of clients I work with, but so far, the advantage I see is answering questions people put up, hoping to drag them to my door/email/pocket book.

Filtering out the mindless babble would be the key for me to be able to use it.

Demonpenz 09-08-2009 10:33 AM

I am not annoyed that much by it, as I am more annoyed with other stuff. I wasn't really annoyed either when shows ended by giving you an email address to email too. This is about the same thing exept i don't have to bring outlook or hotmail up.

Deberg_1990 09-08-2009 10:47 AM

If u aint tweetin, you aint livin

Get busy tweetin or get busy dyin

JD10367 09-08-2009 11:09 AM

"Twittering: when you positively, absolutely, have to know someone's meaningless crap ASAP." No thanks. I'll wait the 30 seconds it takes for the news to break on CNN or, if it's sports-related, for someone to post it on a message board.

Bad enough we have assholes who drive while talking on the cellphone, and then texting IMs to each other... now, with Twitter, they're doing that shit all the time as well, causing even more car crashes. How f**king important do you think you are, or whoever you're "Tweeting" with?

And do you know how stupid it is to see someone's fingers flying over those tiny keys as they type out a Tweet or an IM that sounds like it was written by Prince? "I JST 8 LNCH + WILL B DRVNG 2 PCK U UP @ 4P, K?" Here's a news flash: WE INVENTED THE F**KING CELLPHONE SO YOU COULD TALK TO PEOPLE! JUST CALL THEM, FOR CRISSAKES! Using a cellphone--which is designed for vocal communication--to Tweet or IM is like using your car to walk your dog.

The world is becoming one giant Tower of Babble. The faster we communicate, the less we seem to say. We're becoming isolated in our houses with our computers and TVs, and now we have Bluetooth earpieces or walk around with our heads down Twittering or IMing into our portable devices. We're heading for that scenario Asimov described in his Elijah Bailey/Daneel robot novel "The Naked Sun": a population of phobia-ridden people who live solitary lives indoors and only communicate with others electronically.

suds79 09-08-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6045083)
"Twittering: when you positively, absolutely, have to know someone's meaningless crap ASAP." No thanks. I'll wait the 30 seconds it takes for the news to break on CNN or, if it's sports-related, for someone to post it on a message board.

Bad enough we have assholes who drive while talking on the cellphone, and then texting IMs to each other... now, with Twitter, they're doing that shit all the time as well, causing even more car crashes. How f**king important do you think you are, or whoever you're "Tweeting" with?

And do you know how stupid it is to see someone's fingers flying over those tiny keys as they type out a Tweet or an IM that sounds like it was written by Prince? "I JST 8 LNCH + WILL B DRVNG 2 PCK U UP @ 4P, K?" Here's a news flash: WE INVENTED THE F**KING CELLPHONE SO YOU COULD TALK TO PEOPLE! JUST CALL THEM, FOR CRISSAKES! Using a cellphone--which is designed for vocal communication--to Tweet or IM is like using your car to walk your dog.

The world is becoming one giant Tower of Babble. The faster we communicate, the less we seem to say. We're becoming isolated in our houses with our computers and TVs, and now we have Bluetooth earpieces or walk around with our heads down Twittering or IMing into our portable devices. We're heading for that scenario Asimov described in his Elijah Bailey/Daneel robot novel "The Naked Sun": a population of phobia-ridden people who live solitary lives indoors and only communicate with others electronically.

Or you could have said "I just don't get it."

Angry much?

JD10367 09-08-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 6045099)
Or you could have said "I just don't get it."

Angry much?

F**K YOU!!!

:evil:

And, yeah, I don't get it.

Sully 09-08-2009 11:16 AM

I didn't get it at first.
I signed on, and didn't see the point. But I found an add-on for Firefox that updates tweets as they come through, and I started following some football writers, and now I love it. The rumors and injury news bits come right up on my browser.

I'm sure I'm still not getting the most out of it, but so far, I love it.

I wish my phone had an app to use it on the go, but for some reason, I can't even get a hit when I search apps through Sprint. I plan, in January, to upgrade to either a palm or an iphone, so I'll be all over it, then.

Jilly 09-08-2009 11:18 AM

I love it because I can keep up with the news on the spot with virtually no effort. It's nice.

JD10367 09-08-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 6045128)
I love it because I can keep up with the news on the spot with virtually no effort. It's nice.

:shrug: How much news on the spot is there? From what I understand, if it really exists, it's high on the forward wall and you reach it by hooking your index finger in a "come hither" move and... oh, wait, I read that wrong. Never mind.

Bob Dole 09-08-2009 11:22 AM

Interesting to note that apparently Best Buy is now requiring their job applicants to have at least 250 followers.

http://bit.ly/PIRts