ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football "Jesus" Is Disappointing... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=218780)

BossChief 11-25-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6292582)
I think (and you can verify in the Draft forum) it's because first off, he was from Texas. Texas players haven't translated well to the NFL lately under Mack Brown. They "maxed out" in college.

Secondly, there was the question of his bulk and his overall ability.

But, that's going off of memory on a late night.

fair enough. I just really didnt want to have to sort through a thousand posts that are nothing but parrots repeating what they heard about him over and over. I appreciate it.

KCrockaholic 11-25-2009 01:44 AM

Mecca had a funny quote about Orakpo..I think it was something like... "I'd rather wipe my ass with a toilet brush than draft Brian Orakpo"....Maybe I'm incorrect, but I know I'm close. He hated Orakpo because he was from Texas. I can't bash Mecca to much though. I think every year somebody is waaay off about a certain prospect and other times guys are pin-point on the money when making predictions about players.

Pioli Zombie 11-25-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 6292324)
I don't. Jackson should already be playing at an all pro level.

What does he think he is playing??? Patty cake?!?!?

Jackson is playing every bit as good as guys like Richard Seymour were playing after 10 games. He and MacGee will be just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

beach tribe 11-25-2009 06:47 AM

I think Jackson has looked pretty good for a 1st year D-linemen.

Better than Jesus Curry. A 2 down LB.

Deberg_1990 11-25-2009 07:01 AM

Ty Jack is going to be a solid player.

But is he going to be worthy of overall #3 money? Thats the question.

The 09 draft is looking sort of weak overall.

Demonpenz 11-25-2009 07:24 AM

Orakpu seemed like another Hali great motor good production in college, but not the physical freak to get ALOT better. Mecca projected him to be a LDE not good enough to be a pick that high. He reminded me too much of mike mamula. Good build but already maxed out weight wise with his frame and play before he got to the nfl

Demonpenz 11-25-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 6292678)
Ty Jack is going to be a solid player.

But is he going to be worthy of overall #3 money? Thats the question.

The 09 draft is looking sort of weak overall.

the only question should be is he going to be a solid player. Why would you worry if he was #3 in the draft we are near the cap floor.

wild1 11-25-2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 6292703)
the only question should be is he going to be a solid player. Why would you worry if he was #3 in the draft we are near the cap floor.

I said this in another thread, but if Jackson sticks around and starts for his entire career here and is just average to above average at the position, that will be fine.

The picks that turn out to be unspectacular but "OK" aren't the kind that really hurt your franchise, it's the picks like JaMarcus Russell that will do that, the ones where you get absolutely nothing. That is what will bury a team eventually.

SenselessChiefsFan 11-25-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6292390)
The only reason Rey slipped to the second round is that just two weeks before the draft, there were rumors floated that he was only a "Two Down" player.

JFC, I wish those same rumors would have applied to Tyson Jackson.

Sorry, but, other than about conduct or off the field issues.... 'rumors' don't make a guy fall in the draft.

Every team spends millions of dollars on scouting.... a 'rumor' isn't dropping someone.

Just because a 'rumor' makes draft magazine readers think he should drop a round, doesn't mean that people who actually get paid to evaluate talent are affected by it at all.

MOhillbilly 11-25-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrockaholic4life (Post 6292591)
I think every year somebody is waaay off about a certain prospect and other times guys are pin-point on the money when making predictions about players.

ya think?

El Jefe 11-25-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6292344)
You know who's been absolutely ****ing stellar, and is getting absolutely no publicity for it?

James Laurinaitis.

Yep, I was advocating us picking him in the draft all season.

Pablo 11-25-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6292344)
You know who's been absolutely ****ing stellar, and is getting absolutely no publicity for it?

James Laurinaitis.

You'll generally get no publicity for anything if you play for the Rams.

Chiefnj2 11-25-2009 09:23 AM

Laurinaitis is a prime example of a kid who is a good football player for years on the field, but then he slips because of size/timing issues.

The first 4 defensive players are all underwhelming at this point - Jackson, Curry, Raji and Maybin. Hell, Maybin is third string and barely gets playing time.

SenselessChiefsFan 11-25-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild1 (Post 6292720)
I said this in another thread, but if Jackson sticks around and starts for his entire career here and is just average to above average at the position, that will be fine.

The picks that turn out to be unspectacular but "OK" aren't the kind that really hurt your franchise, it's the picks like JaMarcus Russell that will do that, the ones where you get absolutely nothing. That is what will bury a team eventually.

This is what so many fans just don't get. Football is a team sport. You have to have good players at all the positions to be a good team. If Tyson Jackson is a good starter for the next 12 years... then the Chiefs were smart in drafting him.

Of course the problem will be if the Chiefs get three years into this and then go back to a 4-3 and he has to move inside and then struggles.

I just assume that the Chiefs will stick with the 3-4, given Pioli's history.

Pablo 11-25-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 6292884)
Laurinaitis is a prime example of a kid who is a good football player for years on the field, but then he slips because of size/timing issues.

Same deal with Flowers really. Pretty much an undersized stud at VT, with an average 40 and good ball skills.

And he slipped to us....hells yeah.