ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Where should I eat in Iowa City? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236237)

Demonpenz 11-02-2010 09:26 PM

10 point bonus for skeezers

Mr. Flopnuts 11-02-2010 09:28 PM

Find some good Chinese food.

Phobia 11-02-2010 09:29 PM

Friend of mine owns the Yacht Club - quality music acts there. Plus you can sample some of my hometown brews from http://www.peacetreebrewing.com/ while there. Can't vouch for their food. Don't even know if they serve any.

Extra Point 11-02-2010 09:32 PM

Kimball's isn't a good place at all, from what I've heard.

Simply Red 11-02-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7140809)
Buffalo Wild Wings.

Alpo ^

Simply Red 11-02-2010 10:09 PM

FWIW, I'd rather swallow one-third cup (heaping) colored, assorted, push-pins -vs- consuming anything at Buffalo Wild Wing.

BossChief 11-02-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7140880)
India Café
Colony Inn
Brown Bottle
Old Chicago
The Summit
Red Avocado
Iowa River Power Company
Wig & Pen Pizza Pub.

I also seen some pretty good looking places when I was wondering around downtown... and I have no idea if I just mentioned one of them or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 7140890)
You should definitely hit up the airliner and iowa river power restaurant. Also hit up the summit and pull some 18 yr old skeezers.

these are good choices for staying in town.

For me though, I LOVE going to the Amana Colonies and my fav is the Brick Haus out there.

The owner will likely greet you at the door (old charming individual) and you will probably be served by some of the prettiest gals you'll see while in Iowa. GREAT food every time Ive been there as well. It's a little drive from Iowa City though.

There is a whole area there that has some really cool, old style gift shops that you can pick up some really unique items. Great chocolate and fudge shops too.

How long you gonna be in these parts?

Jenson71 11-02-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7140960)
Thanks for the input, all. Red Avocado is probably a definite. Oasis Falafel, too.

Is Hamburg Inn overrated? Should I be going there or The Mill for greasy American food?

Hamburg Inn for breakfast is pretty popular. I'd check it out. I have and it's a fine place. I sat in Reagan's booth. Not by choice.

Jimmy Jack's Rib Shack is pretty good if you want to try Iowa's homage to Kansas City bbq. It's like Gates or Arthur Bryant's where you order up front, get your stuff, sit down at a dirty table and eat tender meat for cheap.

Sushi is huge around here. You can't go a block downtown without seeing some small, indy Sushi place. Thai, too, seems very popular.

My favorite pizza place is Sams deep dish. Very Chicago-like.

And Panchero's is a chain (not sure how far it stretches), but it started in IC, and the original is still down there across the street from the Old Capitol. It's a big deal in some circles. They do burritos.

And since you'll be downtown, enjoy the Ped-mall. Do yourself the favor and go to Prairie Lights Books and/or the Haunted Bookshop.

Jenson71 11-02-2010 10:32 PM

The Airliner is popular, but I don't like it.

patteeu 11-02-2010 10:40 PM

Have Jenson71 cook something up for you.

Jewish Rabbi 11-02-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7141273)

Except UNI is in Cedar Falls... Unless he moved ...

patteeu 11-02-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7141273)

Although on second thought, Jenson71 refused to meet up with SHTSPRAYER when he was living in the NYC area so maybe Jenson71 doesn't like face to face experiences with planeteers.

patteeu 11-02-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 7141282)
Except UNI is in Cedar Falls... Unless he moved ...

Oh, well maybe that's an issue. I was thinking he was going to Iowa.

Jewish Rabbi 11-02-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7141289)
Oh, well maybe that's an issue. I was thinking he was going to Iowa.

Must not be a Jayhawk then :D

aturnis 11-02-2010 11:11 PM

Good call on hitting up John's Grocery. Where you coming from? Been here before? Better hit up the nightlife while you're in town. Fantastic women in town.

Anyway, Bob's Your Uncle is supposed to have great pizza. The Vine is good, but not too unique. I like Wigg & Penn, their italian sausage sandwich is nice and spicy, and their mozzarella fries are AWESOME, don't forget the ranch...

Hungry Hobo is damned good on the cheap. Baked potato meals, chili or taco are damned good. The Pizza Pit, the Mill's alright.

Check and see what bands will be in town while you're there also.