ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NCAA investigating Cam Newton for taking cash (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236322)

GloryDayz 11-10-2010 07:32 PM

The NCAA can't stand somebody else making a buck. Sure, it's OK if they offer a usless degree to students who, in most cases, can't read by the time they graduate, but make a buck - he11 no!!! The NCAA can KMA, I think the players need to say they don't give a rats a55 about the GD classes, and the coin their providing is a worth a LOT more than the $10K (total) education they're getting in return... The NCAA is run by cowards...

Saul Good 11-10-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 7163078)
They won't ever be able to stop this behavior.

They won't ever stop false starts, either. They should just do away with all rules.

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7163639)
Then give them 50k a year and forget the school part. You want a kid to stay all 4 years? Just pay him. That's why he's there.

The rest of the argument doesn't hold water.

You realize a very very very small percentage of them go pro?

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7163673)
The NCAA can't stand somebody else making a buck. Sure, it's OK if they offer a usless degree to students who, in most cases, can't read by the time they graduate, but make a buck - he11 no!!! The NCAA can KMA, I think the players need to say they don't give a rats a55 about the GD classes, and the coin their providing is a worth a LOT more than the $10K (total) education they're getting in return... The NCAA is run by cowards...

This post is full of fail. Most players can't read? Talk about generalizing the mass based upon a few. $10k in total education? ROFL Please. I know plenty of former D-1 players who never went (or planned to go) pro. They all graduated and have jobs because of their degrees.

GloryDayz 11-10-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7163694)
This post is full of fail. Most players can't read? Talk about generalizing the mass based upon a few. $10k in total education? ROFL Please. I know plenty of former D-1 players who never went (or planned to go) pro. They all graduated and have jobs because of their degrees.

Sure, then you wake up! Do they move to China and make baskets? ROFL

Bewbies 11-10-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7163668)
because it goes without saying

That could be, but folks are quick to crucify Newton while staying mute on Auburn.

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7163711)
That could be, but folks are quick to crucify Newton while staying mute on Auburn.

If it's true then Auburn will suffer in the long term. The damage to Newton will mostly be through the media like it is now.

GloryDayz 11-10-2010 08:01 PM

I hope he and his family make LOTS of money while he's in college and has a wonderful NFL career after that. Good for him and his family...

blaise 11-10-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Then give them 50k a year and forget the school part. You want a kid to stay all 4 years? Just pay him. That's why he's there.

They compensate him the way they want to. If he doesn't like it he can go get a job.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

This is untrue and there's no ****ing way in the world it would EVER work.

Can you imagine giving a kid in the projects $50k to play football BUT requiring him to pay for books, tuition, meals and housing? There's no way that $50k would go for schooling because the pressure from his family and friends to "share" that money would be enormous.

I could see D-I schools paying their players $100 per game in addition to their scholarships but there's no way they're going to pay them $4k per game.

Furthermore, 99% of these kids play football as a way to pay for education and that should not be changed.

Bewbies 11-11-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7163725)
If it's true then Auburn will suffer in the long term. The damage to Newton will mostly be through the media like it is now.

Yeah, Auburn, Chizek etc are gonna burn for this one if it's true.

KC native 11-11-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7146260)
'Bama is going to beat Auburn regardless.

I'm hoping for this. TCU needs either Oregon or Auburn to lose. I would prefer to play Auburn but I don't see Oregon losing and Bama has a good chance to beat Auburn/

sportsman1 11-11-2010 01:04 AM

Hoping this gets out soon for TCU's sake. They deserve it. That program has been fun to watch build. I find it ridiculous how some on here actually think that it is ok for college players to get payed. I mean really? I wish I could get a full scholy and play football.

WilliamTheIrish 11-11-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7164122)
This is untrue and there's no ****ing way in the world it would EVER work.

Can you imagine giving a kid in the projects $50k to play football BUT requiring him to pay for books, tuition, meals and housing? There's no way that $50k would go for schooling because the pressure from his family and friends to "share" that money would be enormous.

I could see D-I schools paying their players $100 per game in addition to their scholarships but there's no way they're going to pay them $4k per game.

Furthermore, 99% of these kids play football as a way to pay for education and that should not be changed.

Why include school at all? The real players go on to make real money. Then 86% end up bankrupt. Disguising it as an education doesn't make it an education.

Run it like what it is: A NFL minor league. Pay them. Let them wear the colors. Give them real compensation. Handing out degrees in Communications doesn't mean shit.

Mojo Jojo 11-11-2010 06:40 AM

Paying the players will not stop this behavior. If each kid was to get X-dollars...some will still be looking to get X-dollars plus, and alumni/supporters will be willing to pay. Recruiting is a business, and benefactors want to win.