ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Help me shop for a car! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=238925)

boogblaster 12-24-2010 11:07 AM

BMW ... long at heart .. costly to repair .. still would go with it tho .......

Buehler445 12-24-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 7285766)
dude... I've done nothing but look at cars over the past few weeks.

all 3 fit my needs and all 3 I can buy in cash.

TBH, these are my criteria

1. reliable
2. not boring

everything else is up for grabs. what I mean by not boring is that I will not buy a ford taurus or a 1991 Chevy Celebrity no matter how well it's been taken care of how detailed their record keeping was.

And these cars are what you came up with? It's all subjective, but there could be some better buys out there. I've driven a Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Pontiac G6 that would probably be in that price range. They ran perfect the entire time I had them and they were far from boring. The G6 had some nice reliability features like a sealed transmission and electric steering. I was REALLY nervous about the transmission, but after I thought about it, if you do anything with it, you're going to have to drop the pan anyway, and this kept dirt out and leaks from starting. The electric steering was nice because it required no maintenance and would not leak. The big deal was that it was variable based on how fast you were driving. Those are a couple cars I'd recommend.

You might also look into Nissan Altima or Maxima type cars. Most people I have talked to love the crap out of them. My cousin has a Mazda 3 series I think. I'd imagine that would be close to the focus type car. She's had decent luck with maintenance and she is a 20 year old girl.

Whatever you do, make sure the car is NOT under any circumstances underpowered. Underpowered cars don't last nearly as long, because they're working their ass off the whole time.

I'd think the Ford would be your best bet. I don't know anything about the SVT Focus, but their SVT cars in the early-mid 90's were terrible to try to keep running. Hopefully Ford has improved that. I know virtually nothing about VW. BMW is typically love or hate. LOTS of shit can happen in the 18 years since 1993 production.

Delaney37 12-24-2010 11:21 AM

The BMW isn't bad but like everyone else said it'll cost ya when you need to fix it. Out of the 3 I'd go with the Ford but you might take a look at Pride Auto Plaza's website(prideautoplaza.com). I check it from time time to see what classics they have and they have a Chevy Monza right now for just under $4000. One owner with 36,000 miles. Looks very clean and straight. Anyways, best of luck to ya in your search!

Brock 12-24-2010 11:36 AM

None of those.

SAUTO 12-24-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 7285802)
And these cars are what you came up with? It's all subjective, but there could be some better buys out there. I've driven a Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Pontiac G6 that would probably be in that price range. They ran perfect the entire time I had them and they were far from boring. The G6 had some nice reliability features like a sealed transmission and electric steering. I was REALLY nervous about the transmission, but after I thought about it, if you do anything with it, you're going to have to drop the pan anyway, and this kept dirt out and leaks from starting. The electric steering was nice because it required no maintenance and would not leak. The big deal was that it was variable based on how fast you were driving. Those are a couple cars I'd recommend.

You might also look into Nissan Altima or Maxima type cars. Most people I have talked to love the crap out of them. My cousin has a Mazda 3 series I think. I'd imagine that would be close to the focus type car. She's had decent luck with maintenance and she is a 20 year old girl.

Whatever you do, make sure the car is NOT under any circumstances underpowered. Underpowered cars don't last nearly as long, because they're working their ass off the whole time.

I'd think the Ford would be your best bet. I don't know anything about the SVT Focus, but their SVT cars in the early-mid 90's were terrible to try to keep running. Hopefully Ford has improved that. I know virtually nothing about VW. BMW is typically love or hate. LOTS of shit can happen in the 18 years since 1993 production.

like i said in another thread i have a guy who drives a SVT focus and he loves it and drives it everyday. and he runs it. RUNS IT. he also owns a couple of lotus'.

LaChapelle 12-24-2010 11:45 AM

I bet the BMW was some kind of delivery car
from wedding cakes to realtor to funeral home

COchief 12-24-2010 11:48 AM

Lol at the guy suggesting a Chevy Monza. I have shopped in this range a few times and the best bang for your buck by far is a 2000-2003 Maxima. Dead reliable with 220-260 HP (0-60 stick times are 6.5 or 5.9 for 00-01, 02-03) and 24-29 mpg, I personally like the body style and think it stands out from other sedans. Other great values in that range are the old boxy Cherokee 98-01, Honda prelude, RSX, but you have to hunt for these and find one that hasn't been owned by an idiot (goes for SVT focus too).

Avoid any VW in this price range, their quality has been better lately but the range you are in is a disaster. Constant little things that will drive you up the wall and cost you a fortune.

Good luck

PS, I have heard the SVT is a great car but the moron owner % is likely to be pretty high

pr_capone 12-24-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 7285802)
And these cars are what you came up with? It's all subjective, but there could be some better buys out there. I've driven a Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Pontiac G6 that would probably be in that price range.

I saw a G6 that was in the price range. Nice as cars as they are, I'm not sure I would trust a "modern" GM vehicle, especially that of a line that is now defunct.

I sincerely appreciate the input tho. It all helps.

pr_capone 12-24-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 7285858)
Lol at the guy suggesting a Chevy Monza. I have shopped in this range a few times and the best bang for your buck by far is a 2000-2003 Maxima. Dead reliable with 220-260 HP (0-60 stick times are 6.5 or 5.9 for 00-01, 02-03) and 24-29 mpg, I personally like the body style and think it stands out from other sedans. Other great values in that range are the old boxy Cherokee 98-01, Honda prelude, RSX, but you have to hunt for these and find one that hasn't been owned by an idiot (goes for SVT focus too).

Avoid any VW in this price range, their quality has been better lately but the range you are in is a disaster. Constant little things that will drive you up the wall and cost you a fortune.

Good luck

PS, I have heard the SVT is a great car but the moron owner % is likely to be pretty high

Funny enough, I have been to the website that Delaney suggested and did give the Monza a hard look. lol

I like that range of Nissan as well but so far have only come up with very high mileage ones and all were automatic.

Though not a sticking point, I most certainly would prefer a stick.

COchief 12-24-2010 12:00 PM

Drive to Denver and buy this one, one owner 120K stick with leather. Won't find anything nicer and faster than that for $6k. Should run to 200k with minimal maintenance. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe I just sold a 2000 that I bought book for 7200 three years ago for 5900 after putting 30k on it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Bugeater 12-24-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 7285766)
dude... I've done nothing but look at cars over the past few weeks.

all 3 fit my needs and all 3 I can buy in cash.

TBH, these are my criteria

1. reliable
2. not boring

everything else is up for grabs. what I mean by not boring is that I will not buy a ford taurus or a 1991 Chevy Celebrity no matter how well it's been taken care of how detailed their record keeping was.

As a car aficionado myself I can appreciate 'not boring', but generally that means 'a pain in the ass'. There's a reason there are so many boring Camrys and Accords out there.

Brock 12-24-2010 12:07 PM

If you want something that's not boring, just go all in and buy a stang or something like that. If you want something you don't have to screw around with, well, we all know what kinds of cars those are.

pr_capone 12-24-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7285880)
If you want something that's not boring, just go all in and buy a stang or something like that. If you want something you don't have to screw around with, well, we all know what kinds of cars those are.

Oh, I'm looking at Mustangs as well. :)

JTagg7754 12-24-2010 12:13 PM

Not trying to add more to your list but if it's not a Camry or Accord, I haven't owned it. If you want a car that's minimal maintenance (the BMW will not be), will last you to 250+ thousand miles (the Ford will not), and has been nothing but absolutely 10000% reliable to me, I'd go w/ either of those two.

As for your list if you're really stuck on it, I'd go w/ the Jetta. VW makes good cars and you can get them serviced at most places. I think Beemers require specific stores that do that. If the VW needs specific places also to get serviced, I suggest getting off the list and looking into what I said.

COchief 12-24-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7285875)
As a car aficionado myself I can appreciate 'not boring', but generally that means 'a pain in the ass'. There's a reason there are so many boring Camrys and Accords out there.

Many many cars would beg to differ, if you're going to throw around "car aficionado" I would hope you know what you're talking about...

G35, TL type S, TSX, Altima SE-R, s2000, 350z, mazdaspeed 3 & 6, G8 gt, and a shit ton more would like to have a word with you sir.