ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Burn patient receives spray from stem cell gun and is fully healed in days (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241101)

Dante84 02-02-2011 11:34 AM

I was going to do the ol' "Crazy Fringe Right wingers to send this thread to DC in 3...2..." post, but I see that they showed up on page 1 and I was too late.

Anywhoo... This is pretty amazing stuff. Possibilities are endless. I hope this becomes more widespread very soon, on the off chance I get burned somehow.

Brock 02-02-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 7400362)
I was going to do the ol' "Crazy Fringe Right wingers to send this thread to DC in 3...2..." post, but I see that they showed up on page 1 and I was too late..

They did? Where?

Dante84 02-02-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7400385)
They did? Where?

There I go, assumin' again.

Uncle_Ted 02-02-2011 12:14 PM

On Neil deGrasse Tyson's PBS show last week they were showing how entire organs are now being grown in labs. The hold-up before was that we could grow the cells, but not the structures. The solution was to use an existing organ from a donor animal (like a pig heart) and then place it in a chemical solution that stripped off all of the cells, leaving the underlying structure intact. Then the patient's own cells could be grown within the structure to create a transplantable organ ... without worrying about rejection.

The show profiled a woman in Spain whose doctor used the technique to grow a new trachea after hers had been ravaged by tuberculosis.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/re...ody-parts.html

Otter 02-02-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7400274)
Why are people against this again?

I have no religious objections just stupid people and parasites on the community living too long is what I fear.

Brock 02-02-2011 12:33 PM

Curing disease is fine, helping injured people is fine, but coming up with a way for rich people to live another 50 years sucks.

Baby Lee 02-02-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle_Ted (Post 7400466)
On Neil deGrasse Tyson's PBS show last week they were showing how entire organs are now being grown in labs. The hold-up before was that we could grow the cells, but not the structures. The solution was to use an existing organ from a donor animal (like a pig heart) and then place it in a chemical solution that stripped off all of the cells, leaving the underlying structure intact. Then the patient's own cells could be grown within the structure to create a transplantable organ ... without worrying about rejection.

The show profiled a woman in Spain whose doctor used the technique to grow a new trachea after hers had been ravaged by tuberculosis.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/re...ody-parts.html

Dr. Karev totally romped that shit a few weeks back.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-02-2011 12:57 PM

Holy shit! That's simply amazing.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-02-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7400504)
Curing disease is fine, helping injured people is fine, but coming up with a way for rich people to live another 50 years sucks.

Yeah. It'll be the doom of social security. :p

Pants 02-02-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 7400493)
I have no religious objections just stupid people and parasites on the community living too long is what I fear.

This is where we are heading. I think the eventual limiting factor in our possible immortality is the deteriorating brain function. Once they figure out how to slow that down, look out.

Too bad the world is ending in a little less than 2 years. Oh well.

ThaVirus 02-02-2011 01:08 PM

****ing amazing..

.. So since skin is just a large organ, could this be used to "repair" other organs? Perhaps reverse the effects of cigarrette smoking on lungs, fix heart murmurs, give sight to the blind? Things like that...

ToxSocks 02-02-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 7400583)
****ing amazing..

.. So since skin is just a large organ, could this be used to "repair" other organs? Perhaps reverse the effects of cigarrette smoking on lungs, fix heart murmurs, give sight to the blind? Things like that...

Curing Zombies?

cuz that will be the most important in about 2 years.

bevischief 02-02-2011 01:14 PM

Since I was a burn victim here about a month before the 09 bash almost didn't make it because I was still recovering. I had a great burn physical therapist at Overland Park Regional she said I had about the 2nd worse burn she had seen in about the 15 plus years since she had been treating patients. This is an amazing treatment.

ThaVirus 02-02-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7400598)
Curing Zombies?

cuz that will be the most important in about 2 years.

What is it with you and zombies?

Awesome Aric 02-02-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 7400058)
I can't wait to use this line to convince a chick to let me facialize her. "Hey, baby... Can I spray you with my stem cell gun? It's good for you, I promise..."

Damn bro,

That just wasn't funny.