ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Have you ever been scammed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241222)

Iowanian 02-04-2011 05:00 PM

I bought into a bio-diesel plant.

Other than the time I was 12 years old delivering papers and the creepy van pulled up slow and offerene me candy just to talk...it has been the worst I've been raped.

*dammit...beaten to the candy van.

Over-Head 02-04-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 7406689)
I almost got scammed today. So close. I almost gave someone $46 for a magazine subscription. But when I got the people out of the apartment, I got the check back with an excuse, ripped it up, and told them to leave.

I'm damaged now. I used to be so trusting of people. No one has ever tried to outright steal from me. It pisses me off that 1) I didn't say no right away and 2) that people do this.

Yeah, it's a learning moment. I'm glad that ultimately nothing happened, but I'm disappointed in myself and in people right now.

Anyone got scam stories? I hate thieves. If you are a thief, AIDS tree yourself now.

Get burnt for $17500.00 by a general contractor after ya spend 59 hours on a coustom ceiling and tape/paint his million dollar new home then come talk to me

Yes i'm talking about YOU Mr & Mrs . Dave& Nicole Whittle owners of Koracon Homes, Paridise Newfoundland
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=1...39.82,,0,-9.15

notorious 02-04-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7406748)
Oh wow. I've been approached in the Seattle area about those. I never bought though.

Your spidey senses saved the day.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-04-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 7406706)
And yes, I remember explicitly a time in my high school days I was scammed when trying to purchase a "recreational" item.

I still remember the guy's name and have sworn to fuck him over eventually.

Yep. That happened to me once. I don't really know what he was thinking. He clearly didn't either by the time I was done with him. We went to school together.

notorious 02-04-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 7406757)
Get burnt for $17500.00 by a general contractor after ya spend 59 ghours on a coustom ceiling and tape/paint his million dollar new home then come talk to me

Yes i'm talking about YOU Mr & Mrs . Dave& Nicole Whittle owners of Koracon Homes, Paridise Newfoundland

Oh ****.

The worst I've been burnt on is $4000 for an unpaid balance of a White Oak Floor.

Collections are still working on them.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-04-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7406758)
Your spidey senses saved the day.

Sheer luck. This was about 12 years ago, and I've always been a bargain hunter. At the time though, I just didn't want to spend that much money. By the time they kept lowering the price they would take, I knew it didn't make sense.

notorious 02-04-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7406763)
Sheer luck. This was about 12 years ago, and I've always been a bargain hunter. At the time though, I just didn't want to spend that much money. By the time they kept lowering the price they would take, I knew it didn't make sense.

I have read on the internet they go down to $100.

Hell, my brother almost got burned, and he is a smart man. Thank God he called me to ask about the brand.

teedubya 02-04-2011 05:05 PM

The first time I got a Nigerian email scam back in 1997... I almost fell for it. I just knew I was going to be rich... lmao

Rain Man 02-04-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 7406757)
Get burnt for $17500.00 by a general contractor after ya spend 59 hours on a coustom ceiling and tape/paint his million dollar new home then come talk to me

Oh, yeah. I had the Ianni Group, a Denver marketing firm run by incredibly unattractive people, stiff me on a bill. They lied to us for a year or more and then sent us a photocopied form letter saying that they had chosen not to pay any of their vendors because they'd had a bad year or something like that. I really think that should be criminal theft since they'd already been paid for our work by the end client.

Dave Lane 02-04-2011 05:11 PM

My list is long and distinguished. Not the Nigerian kind of scam more people that worked for me kinda scams. I'm sure its into the 100's of thousands over the years.

CHENZ A! 02-04-2011 05:11 PM

I bought some J's off ebay that turned out to be knockoffs. No one can tell if I'm wearing them, but I know, and it pisses me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man 02-04-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7406767)
The first time I got a Nigerian email scam back in 1997... I almost fell for it. I just knew I was going to be rich... lmao

I actually got one of those in a mailed letter back before the Internet, and I read it about three times trying to figure it out. The funny thing, though, was that the letter was obviously photocopied. If you don't pay attention to the details, your venture is doomed.

It seems like the cost of mailings would destroy their whole business model.

notorious 02-04-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7406778)
I bought some J's off ebay that turned out to be knockoffs. No one can tell if I'm wearing them, but I know, and it pisses me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Va-J's?

Over-Head 02-04-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7406762)
Oh ****.

The worst I've been burnt on is $4000 for an unpaid balance of a White Oak Floor.

Collections are still working on them.

Laws in NL are basically ya aint got a pot to piss in.
You got 30 days after you finish the job to have a lien in place, (wh8ich includes the client being informed by sherriff) NOT 30 off invoice.

Got a few grand outa it, but will never see the rest. My laywer even said take it, and write it the rest off. It's all you can do.

With it being a civil matter he can play the "sorry i'm not avaliable for that court date" game forever like it's been done to several others.

Very expensive lesson, but now i'm 3-5 days COD off invoice with 15.9% intrest per month or any part of.
First time contractors are COD as soon as I drop the pole sander, or pack up my paint sprayer depending on the job.

At 14 I start the lien process NO EXCEPTIONS.

notorious 02-04-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Over-Head (Post 7406786)
Laws in NL are basically ya aint got a pot to piss in.
You got 30 days after you finish the job to have a lien in place, (wh8ich includes the client being informed by sherriff) NOT 30 off invoice.

Got a few grand outa it, but will never see the rest. My laywer even said take it, and write it the rest off. It's all you can do.

With it being a civil matter he can play the "sorry i'm not avaliable for that court date" game forever like it's been done to several others.

Very expensive lesson, but now i'm 3-5 days COD off invoice with 15.9% intrest per month or any part of.
First time contractors are COD as soon as I drop the pole sander, or pack up my paint sprayer depending on the job.

At 14 I lay liens.

Wow.

I need to be harder on my customers that don't pay.