ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Doing the right thing. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242006)

loochy 02-24-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 7451052)
UPS lost a monitor that we shipped from a company that I worked for a long time ago when a new monitor that size cost $5,000. I yelled at them once a week at least for a couple of months then grew tired and gave up.

It arrived more than a year later with no announcement at all and no explanation of where it had been.

I try not to use UPS.

UPS is generally OK. They allow tracking of the packages and they are generally insured up to $100.

The POST OFFICE (USPS) is the bad one that can just lose stuff with NO CLUE and NO RECORD of where it's at.

chiefsnorth 02-24-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7450873)
I'll be honest, I think it's the shipper's responsibility. That's how I would look at it if I ordered something off the internet. He's your friend (or at least an acquaintance) so that makes it a bit different, but he's received nothing so I don't know why he should pay anything.

I would see it that way too. The shipment should be insured, and the buyer could be asked to pay that in the shipping charges. If this were two people who were strangers that is how it should be. If the seller didnt insure I wouldn't think that is the buyer's fault, the seller implies in the sale that he will get the goods to the buyer.

I will say though that it wouldn't be surprising for the package to show up. I had a letter show up in my mail a year after it was mailed once, and my mother had one that was lost in some mail warehouse for several years arrive once it was found, too.

Bearcat 02-24-2011 02:55 PM

I think it's similar to when a friend's motherboard got fried on my watch... if the person that's owed the money took reasonable precautions, stuff happens that you can't be held responsible for.

In your case, I don't think USPS priority mail qualifies, especially since UPS' insurance on all packages is up to $100 (last time I checked, anyway).. and USPS has insurance and delivery confirmation, etc.

OTOH, I've never lost anything through USPS (just like I had never fried someone's motherboard), so the same thoughts would be running through my mind as far as who's ultimately responsible.

DaneMcCloud 02-24-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 7451094)
OTOH, I've never lost anything through USPS (just like I had never fried someone's motherboard), so the same thoughts would be running through my mind as far as who's ultimately responsible.

It's always the shipper's responsibility.

If the package doesn't arrive, it's the shipper's responsibility, whether the shipper sent it or not.

If the package arrives damaged, it's the shipper's responsibility because either the buyer will have recourse through their credit card company, Paypal and even the police department (if a check or money was used as payment).

Insurance is sold for a reason: If the a package is damaged or lost in transit, the shipper is automatically reimbursed for the loss. The "Oops, I didn't realize I should have spent one dollar on insurance" defense isn't valid in a court of law, or with credit card companies.

Coach 02-24-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7450977)
I contend it's not my fault. I know it's not his fault. I'm trying to determine what is SOP for sellers under these circumstances.

Usually I sell stuff through Amazon, and I have a general rule. If merchanchise is worth more than $XX, I would put an insurance on it.

Better to be safe than sorry, even if they declined, I'd rather provide excellent customer service than taking chances, ya know?

Mr. Flopnuts 02-24-2011 05:12 PM

I hate to say it but I think this is on the shipper. If I buy something online and don't receive it, I dispute the charges with my bank and get my money back. Companies however just send out another item. It's only happened a couple of times, but I've never had to eat it. I know the circumstances are a little different here, but if this is about doing the right thing, that's my opinion.

A. F the USPS.

B. Always buy insurance for a buck or two if it's anything of value.

SAUTO 02-24-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7450873)
I'll be honest, I think it's the shipper's responsibility. That's how I would look at it if I ordered something off the internet. He's your friend (or at least an acquaintance) so that makes it a bit different, but he's received nothing so I don't know why he should pay anything.

i agree, IMO its the sellers responsibility until its recieved.

should have insured it

SAUTO 02-24-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7451400)
I hate to say it but I think this is on the shipper. If I buy something online and don't receive it, I dispute the charges with my bank and get my money back. Companies however just send out another item. It's only happened a couple of times, but I've never had to eat it. I know the circumstances are a little different here, but if this is about doing the right thing, that's my opinion.

A. F the USPS.

B. Always buy insurance for a buck or two if it's anything of value.

damn you floppy!!!!!!!!! beat me to it

R8RFAN 02-24-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7450864)
I need some help making a decision.

Somebody I know contacted me asking for advice on a finish nailer purchase. I gave him several options and then remembered I had one new out in my shop I wasn't using. I looked up the lowest price on ebay $150 and gave it to him for $120.

Sent it via USPS priority Feb 4th. Hasn't arrived to his house. USPS says we're screwed - they lost it but don't offer anything at all.

I have a couple used finish guns or a new brad nailer I've offered.

I don't know the other guy's proposed solution. We haven't talked about it since yesterday. I'm not sure I'm on the hook for the entire $120 since I did everything right. I definitely don't think he should absorb the entire cost either.

So, what do think?

I hate to say it man but you are on the hook.

I would just give him the money back and hope it just got lost and he gets it in a couple weeks and gives you your money back....

Also 120 bucks is not worth losing a friend over

Ship by Fedex, you will be paying my salary and we will get it there.

bevischief 02-24-2011 05:24 PM

Several years ago I ordered a few computer items and never got them. I filed a claim and got my money back. A few days later a little old lady dropped them off at my house because the UPS driver could not read the address on the house and mail box.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-24-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 7451412)
I hate to say it man but you are on the hook.

I would just give him the money back and hope it just got lost and he gets it in a couple weeks and gives you your money back....

Also 120 bucks is not worth losing a friend over

Ship by Fedex, you will be paying my salary and we will get it there.

Well that's enough for me to go with UPS. :fire:

Thig Lyfe 02-24-2011 05:24 PM

I thought this would be another thread about trading Cassel.

R8RFAN 02-24-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7451425)
Well that's enough for me to go with UPS. :fire:

If you want it beat all to hell then do it :rolleyes:

Extra Point 02-24-2011 05:27 PM

That's the thing with USPS Priority: It's their priority to tell you that your're screwed if the sent party didn't receive it. For delivery confirmation, which "implies" insured value, they will get a signature. If it's lost in transit, thou art ****ed. Therefore, insure it, get delivery confirmation, and send it Priority, to maximize USPS revenue, IF you're going to send it USPS.

(I think the guy is BS'ing you, but you have no way to prove it.)

Bugeater 02-24-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7451033)
Are you certain that he DIDN'T get the package?

This is what I'm wondering...he shipped it Feb 4th, and the guy is just now complaining he didn't get it?