ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL wants to divert $300 million from first-round contracts (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243909)

cabletech94 04-13-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7562392)
I think 3 years is a reasonable amount of time for a player to prove whether he's a bust or not.

so that means THIS is castle's year?

ROFL

J Diddy 04-13-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 7561933)
The key imo is that the money doesn't leave the players ... it is just moved to the veteran players.

notice how the only people this article had to speak against it were agents.

My thoughts exactly. They're pissing their pants. The first round cash cow's going away.

Renegade 04-13-2011 07:20 PM

So will they (the owners) just give bigger signing bonuses than they do now to Rookies? I can't remember if a bonus counts against cap or not.

milkman 04-13-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7562392)
I think 3 years is a reasonable amount of time for a player to prove whether he's a bust or not.

Since the average career is about 3 years, 3 years on the initial contract is more than reasonable.

Marcellus 04-13-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7562280)
Two quick examples for each

For Rookies:

Careers average less than one contract in length. Lowering that money lessens their earnings. While not as drastic for the top players because of guarantees and the like, the same concept will apply, and it's just a matter of which year it happens.

If average careers are less than the contract length then they are busts and don't deserve the big money.

notorious 04-13-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7562583)
My thoughts exactly. They're pissing their pants. The first round cash cow's going away.

Easy money. The bar is already set, so negotiating isn't very tough.

MagicHef 04-13-2011 08:56 PM

Does it seem a little weird to anyone else that the only people that don't have a say in the rookie wage scale are the, uh, rookies?

Marcellus 04-13-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 7562914)
Does it seem a little weird to anyone else that the only people that don't have a say in the rookie wage scale are the, uh, rookies?

Nope.

Just Passin' By 04-13-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 7562314)
what I did in college was irrelevant to my professional career too, What I did in the Army didn't give me more experience pay when I started my professional career.

You made different choices, and they're inapplicable to the world of professional sports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 7562314)
They didn't get paid in College, boo hoo. don't like that rule change it. As for the NFL, getting millions of dollars to not even practice yet is and has always been a dumb waste of money. Just my 2 cents.

WTF are you talking about? They're getting the money in the NFL, and you're the one bitching for change, not them.

Just Passin' By 04-13-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7562800)
If average careers are less than the contract length then they are busts and don't deserve the big money.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. They're getting paid based upon potential, just like everyone else is in a first job. The difference is that they can't choose where to apply and work, while pretty much everyone else can. Given that the biggest losers in this scenario would be the top players in the first round, it's pretty clear that they'd have been able to shop their services in a free system.

Marcellus 04-13-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7562971)
Deserve has nothing to do with it. They're getting paid based upon potential, just like everyone else is in a first job. The difference is that they can't choose where to apply and work, while pretty much everyone else can. Given that the biggest losers in this scenario would be the top players in the first round, it's pretty clear that they'd have been able to shop their services in a free system.

I don't know what job you are in but first jobs typically don't pay top dollar for potential.

You work your way up. Your whole argument is flawed.

Just Passin' By 04-13-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7562980)
I don't know what job you are in but first jobs typically don't pay top dollar for potential.

You work your way up. Your whole argument is flawed.

Go check out what first jobs for top end graduates pay. The average starting salary for a Harvard Law Graduate in 2008, for example, was about $155,000.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/index.html

Marcellus 04-13-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7562989)
Go check out what first jobs for top end graduates pay. The average starting salary for a Harvard Law Graduate in 2008, for example, was about $155,000.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/index.html

Harvard Law vs NFL rookie? If you want to compare go ahead.

What do you think that $155,000 a year compares to a graduate from Harvard Law in their prime? Half or a 3rd of their annual salary and probably not even that.

Great example to make my point.

Just Passin' By 04-13-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7563024)
Harvard Law vs NFL rookie? If you want to compare go ahead.

What do you think that $155,000 a year compares to a graduate from Harvard Law in their prime? Half or a 3rd of their annual salary and probably not even that.

Great example to make my point.

Not really, given that professional athletes are basically at the pinnacle of the salary world. You seem to be trying to equate NFL players to factory workers, and you're also overlooking the fact that there's already a rookie cap in the NFL.

Also, Peyton Manning and Brady, among others, will be making more money than Sam Bradford, so your progression argument is really a non-starter.

Marcellus 04-13-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7563032)
Not really, given that professional athletes are basically at the pinnacle of the salary world. You seem to be trying to equate NFL players to factory workers.

Also, Peyton Manning and Brady, among others, will be making more money than Sam Bradford, so your progression argument is really a non-starter.

Look I am not the one who used starting salaries of Harvard Law graduates, you did. And compaired to their field which is relevent, they don't make the big money compared to experienced equals do out of college.

Harvard Law is elite. The NFL is elite. The comparison applies.

You aprovided the example not me. No sure where your factory worker comment applies.

I am not saying rookies shouldn't be paid well, they should not be top of their proffession straight out of school before ever playing an NFL game.

To use your example, an attorney straight out of school wont be the top paid Guy in court making more than the judge 99% of the time.

That's pretty logical.