ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Whitlock thinks RG3's speed is a curse (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256641)

Baby Lee 03-01-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Steve Young had to sit behind Joe Montana in San Francisco to learn to fully appreciate the pocket.
Yeah, Young sat behind Montana because of his deficiencies, not because Montana was the BEST EFFING QB EVER.

RippedmyFlesh 03-01-2012 08:53 AM

I agree with TheGuardian pocket passers= SB's.
But to me RG3 is the exception.
He has a pocket passer's arm which usually with a mobile qb is not the case.
If he got injured and lost mobility but somehow it didn't affect his passing I would still build around him.

tk13 03-01-2012 08:59 AM

I agree with some of this... and I've said as much. Not that it would necessarily keep me from drafting the guy. Yeah Luck is mobile too but he is not anywhere near Griffin's universe. Few people are... Griffin is a once in a decade talent. But nobody has ever won with a scrambling QB. He will have to become an elite passer as well to win. Remember when Young won he set a record for Super Bowl passing TDs and was one of the best passing QBs in the league. My other concern is Griffin is not a big tank like Newton or Tebow... so he's probably a bigger injury risk. But I think he's a better passer than Vick or Vince Young... his potential is off the charts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC 03-01-2012 09:18 AM

all buffets thinks Racist Whitlock is a curse...

-King- 03-01-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8409589)
Yeah, Young sat behind Montana because of his deficiencies, not because Montana was the BEST EFFING QB EVER.

That's not what he meant...
Posted via Mobile Device

TheGuardian 03-01-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8409555)
This....thanks for posting it I was going to look for the same stat. I don't get where all these morons keep calling RG3 a running QB. You do not obtain his accuracy by throwing on the run all the time. The pigeon holing of the athletic black QB continues.

Pull your head out of your ass.

There is no pigeon holing here, the same thing was said of Tebow. And it turned out to be true.

RGIII is not a pocket passer. If the Chiefs are going to draft a QB to build around as a franchise QB, it needs to be the kinds that you know, win super bowls? And those are pocket passers.

RGIII is a running QB. You don't rush for 846, 635, and 700 yards if you're a pocket passer.

You wanna know how many yards Vick ran for in his two years at VT?

585 and 617.

You wanna know how many yards Luck rushed for at Stanford?

What about Tebow?

469 (freshman year)

RGIII is a running QB. The odds that he will lead a team to a SB are slim and none.

But this board has gone ****ing crazy because like I said, half the people here wanted to draft Clausen last year, when it was clear to sane people he sucked.

Drafting a QB just for the sake of it is ****ing stupid beyond comprehension.

Chiefnj2 03-01-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8409646)
Pull your head out of your ass.

There is no pigeon holing here, the same thing was said of Tebow. And it turned out to be true.

RGIII is not a pocket passer. If the Chiefs are going to draft a QB to build around as a franchise QB, it needs to be the kinds that you know, win super bowls? And those are pocket passers.

RGIII is a running QB. You don't rush for 846, 635, and 700 yards if you're a pocket passer.

585 and 617.

You wanna know how many yards Luck rushed for at Stanford?

What about Tebow?

469 (freshman year)

RGIII is a running QB. The odds that he will lead a team to a SB are slim and none.

But this board has gone ****ing crazy because like I said, half the people here wanted to draft Clausen last year, when it was clear to sane people he sucked.

Drafting a QB just for the sake of it is ****ing stupid beyond comprehension.

How are you a "running QB" when you have the same number of pass attempts as the "passing/pocket QB" and more passing yardage than the passing QB?

TheGuardian 03-01-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8409650)
How are you a "running QB" when you have the same number of pass attempts as the "passing/pocket QB" and more passing yardage than the passing QB?

Being in a spread offense.

That's really another knock against him as well. That spread offense has produced lots of guys that don't transition well into pro style offenses.

Again, this board just wants to draft ANY QB......JUST BECAUSE.

Coogs 03-01-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8409571)
They aren't concerned with Wrights "4.6" speed when there is game tape out there of him burning 4.4 CB's like Quandre Diggs from Texas.

I knew that, I was just funnin' with ya! :D

It does make you wonder a little bit though if the threat of the run from RGIII caused safeties and corners to play a little more cautious.

DaKCMan AP 03-01-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8409646)

585 and 617.

What about Tebow?

469 (freshman year)

Nice job at abusing statistics to agree with your horribly flawed analysis.

You know how many yards Vick threw for in college? 3,279. Total. In two years.

Griffin threw for 4,293 last year alone. 3,501 the year before.

Tebow threw for 3,286 yards in his sophomore, Heisman winning season. He didn't eclipse 3,000 yards in any other of his 4 seasons at Florida.

Vick ran the ball 40% of the time, passing 60%.
Tebow ran the ball 39% of the time, passing 61% (in his 3yrs as a starter).
Griffin III ran the ball 28% of the time, passing 72% (over past 2 seasons).

Hell, Cam Newton was nearly 50/50. At Auburn he had 280 pass attempts and 264 rush attempts. He only threw for 4,000 yard with a 60% completion percentage in his rookie NFL season.

Chiefnj2 03-01-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8409655)

That's really another knock against him as well. That spread offense has produced lots of guys that don't transition well into pro style offenses.

Griffin is not in the same boat as the guys you are comparing him to. You compare him to Vick whose greatest # of pass attempts was 179 in a season. You compare him to Tebow who had tons of questions about his throwing motion and accuracy and ability to transition to the NFL.

We get it, you don't like him. You like Tannehill. Making baseless comparisons doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Lzen 03-01-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8409484)
Griffin had a 179 rushes this year.

Final year in college # of rushes
Newton - 264
Kaepernick - 175
Dalton - 86
Colt McCoy - 129
Tannehill - 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by tymania (Post 8409495)
I did not watch a lot of RG3 at Baylor but the times i did watch him, to me he seemed to be a pass first run second type of QB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8409555)
This....thanks for posting it I was going to look for the same stat. I don't get where all these morons keep calling RG3 a running QB. You do not obtain his accuracy by throwing on the run all the time. The pigeon holing of the athletic black QB continues.

I was about to post about this but I see you guys have it covered. Griffin never seemed to me like a running QB. Always looking to pass downfield. The comparison to Vick is unfair.

Lzen 03-01-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

The spread offense argument is actually a legitimate argument. Unlike the running QB argument.

BigChiefFan 03-01-2012 09:51 AM

RG3 is talented as Hell, but I have to say the spread offense concerns me big time.

suds79 03-01-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

How many teams are running some sort of the spread right now though? It's a QB friendly system. That's why I think so many teams are operating so much out of shotgun.

Pats? Check.
Saints? Check.
Lions? Check.
GB? Maybe not as much but seems as though they operate out of the gun a lot.

My point is that I'm not sure I buy much anymore that the spread is vastly different from the NFL.