ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Williamson: Center is a snap so far for Rodney Hudson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260095)

BigChiefFan 06-02-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8654627)
I really wish we had deeper OLBs, but with Poe getting a pass rush in our nickel and Bailey having a big year,I think we're good for now. Hope we draft an OLB in our first 3 picks next year, we need someone to groom.

I agree, but considering the amount of time, he's addressed alot of the areas. Houston looks legit and Sheffield was a depth move, but injury hampered his progress.

I'd like to see QB, if there is one worthy in the first when we pick and OLBer to spell Hali and be prepared to transition as starter once Hali loses a step.

Those are our two biggest needs, IMO and I believe we address it early next year.

milkman 06-02-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8654634)
You aren't going to ever have great depth everywhere. You just have to keep drafting guys that fit and guys that are great football players.

We are actually at the point now where you can start making some bigger free agent splashes to fill holes. I'm not a huge fan of that, but if you are smart about it eg, Winston, it can turn out really well.

I'm a firm believer that the the big free agent splashes that pan out are along the O-Line.

There are rare exceptions, like Drew Brees, but generally big free agency fails.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8654635)
Studebaker is virtually useless.

He is not horrible in coverage. Provides nearly no pass rush, but less than mediocre against the run/setting the edge. Is okay in dropping off into zone. Really, not a horrible depth guy, but not ideal either.

O.city 06-02-2012 10:06 PM

Studebaker is a fine STs player and can play in a pinch if he had too.

I'm fine with him being a back of the roster type player. He's a shit load better than what we have had previously in that position.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8654634)
You aren't going to ever have great depth everywhere. You just have to keep drafting guys that fit and guys that are great football players.

We are actually at the point now where you can start making some bigger free agent splashes to fill holes. I'm not a huge fan of that, but if you are smart about it eg, Winston, it can turn out really well.

Well, no you're never going to have great depth everywhere. However, for a 2-gap 3-4 team, I personally would emphasis on getting quality pass rushers at 3-4 OLBs and sub 3-4 DEs that can play both the 5 e 3 tech. Additionally, I would look at corners(or safeties in Crennel's case) as my second line of necessary defensive depth.

BigChiefFan 06-02-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8654640)
I'm a firm believer that the the big free agent splashes that pan out are along the O-Line.

There are rare exceptions, like Drew Brees, but generally big free agency fails.

Deion Sanders worked out splendidly for the Cowboys.

O.city 06-02-2012 10:08 PM

Milkman, I'm fine with that, along the FA lines.

Only time I really like to dip my toe, is if someone hits it after their rookie deal. After that it gets a little shotty.

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8654643)
Studebaker is a fine STs player and can play in a pinch if he had too.

I'm fine with him being a back of the roster type player. He's a shit load better than what we have had previously in that position.

^This. He's not the best depth wise, but we could be way ****ing worse. I mean, some were hoping we'd take Casey Matthews ...

Sorter 06-02-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 8654645)

You cherry picked a stat. How did the best wide receiver of all time work out for the Raiders?

milkman 06-02-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8654641)
He is not horrible in coverage. Provides nearly no pass rush, but less than mediocre against the run/setting the edge. Is okay in dropping off into zone. Really, not a horrible depth guy, but not ideal either.

People over value Studebaker in coverage because of a couple of plays in which he just happened to be in the perfect place to make plays on poorly thrown balls, balls that would have been completed without contest from Studebaker when the QB was hit on delivery.

If he had actually been where he was supposed to be in coverage on those plays, the ball hits the ground harmlessly.

O.city 06-02-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8654644)
Well, no you're never going to have great depth everywhere. However, for a 2-gap 3-4 team, I personally would emphasis on getting quality pass rushers at 3-4 OLBs and sub 3-4 DEs that can play both the 5 e 3 tech. Additionally, I would look at corners(or safeties in Crennel's case) as my second line of necessary defensive depth.

I agree with the DE's. Depending on what Poe can do, we may not really need much more of that.

The thing with OLB's is, in passing situations you aren't taking Houston or Hali off the field. W

We need pass rushers up the middle.

milkman 06-02-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 8654645)

Oh.

Cause I said there are no exceptions, right?

BigChiefFan 06-02-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8654649)
You cherry picked a stat. How did the best wide receiver of all time work out for the Raiders?

Of course I did. I'm just talking football and pointing out a quality FA that woked out besides an O-Lineman, which was the post I quoted. Relax.

I'd venture to say plenty of FAs work out. Many don't live up to their contracts, but plenty do.

BryanBusby 06-02-2012 10:12 PM

Studebaker is fine as a Larry Izzo type of player and would be even better if he took a shit on the sidelines and got a gameball for it.

BigChiefFan 06-02-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8654653)
Oh.

Cause I said there are no exceptions, right?

:rolleyes:

No, just keeping it real. The point was there are plenty of FAs that do work out.