ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Where do you rent your NEW RELEASE movies from? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260242)

007 06-06-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8663732)
I haven't used Redbox in quite awhile.

They're cheap, but I'm not waiting a month for a new release.

Isn't it funny that when a company puts together a model the public likes other businesses find a way to make it less desirable

vailpass 06-06-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8663632)
How's the quality?

You have your choice between SD, 720p and 1080p. Each at a different cost level.

*edit* DaFace has this covered.

The Franchise 06-06-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8663720)
Yup. Assuming your connection and computer are able to handle it, you are able to pay for whatever quality you're into. For new releases, I believe it's $3.99 for SD, $4.99 for 720p HD, and $5.99 for 1080p HD (that they call HDX). I've done the HDX before, and it looks as good as a bluray.

What kind of connection do you have? Are you streaming it to your laptop and then into your TV?

Frazod 06-06-2012 05:58 PM

Personally, I really miss Blockbuster. I liked the idea of being able to peruse movies in person. Guess I'm old school. Haven't ever used the box things, I generally just wait for stuff to hit Starz or HBO. Sometimes I'll use DTV PPV. I certainly miss more movies than I used to, but seeing as how most everything released nowadays is a ****ing pale remake of something I've already seen, it doesn't really matter all that much.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8663826)
What kind of connection do you have? Are you streaming it to your laptop and then into your TV?

PS3 will work.

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8663831)
Personally, I really miss Blockbuster. I liked the idea of being able to peruse movies in person. Guess I'm old school. .

Yea, I kind of miss that too. But what I don't miss is having to return movies and late fees. With instant streaming I'm paying the same price for a new release at Blockbuster, and never have to leave my house or worry about it being out of stock.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8663741)
Isn't it funny that when a company puts together a model the public likes other businesses find a way to make it less desirable

Yep.

I don't quite get why they can't rent new release like PPV, etc.

007 06-06-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8663863)
Yep.

I don't quite get why they can't rent new release like PPV, etc.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mama Hip Rockets 06-06-2012 06:40 PM

netflix

vailpass 06-06-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

App on the blue ray player. Another thing I like about VUDU is you can watch the previews before renting.

underEJ 06-06-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663288)
If it's a movie I know I like I just go ahead and buy it from a Target or Best Buy. If I am not sure I go to Blockbuster to rent it since they are the only place to get true new releases. I also like supporting a long time business that is struggling so much. Considering how much our society wants immediate satisfaction it shocks me that a RedBox can knock out Blockbusters even though you have to wait a month for new movies.

I stream from amazon on demand or occasionally on demand from cable for stuff like IFC In Theaters On Demand where you can watch at home the same day it goes into theaters. I wish I knew whether a theater ticket or an opening day rental made the film maker more money. It's about the same cost to me.

I started to feel sorry for Blockbuster a bit and then I remembered the nice folks who owned the National Video franchise in Brookside and how Blockbuster moved in and crushed them along with all 600 National Video stores in like one year flat.

DaFace 06-07-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

I've got a dedicated computer hooked up to a TV that I used at first, but our new HDTV now has it built in, so we use that most of the time. It's built into a ton of different devices these days - kind of like Netflix.

mr. tegu 06-07-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 8664443)
I stream from amazon on demand or occasionally on demand from cable for stuff like IFC In Theaters On Demand where you can watch at home the same day it goes into theaters. I wish I knew whether a theater ticket or an opening day rental made the film maker more money. It's about the same cost to me.

I started to feel sorry for Blockbuster a bit and then I remembered the nice folks who owned the National Video franchise in Brookside and how Blockbuster moved in and crushed them along with all 600 National Video stores in like one year flat.

Did they buy them out or just force them out of business?

vailpass 06-07-2012 12:31 PM

Do any of you still actually buy, as opposed to rent, movies? If so do you buy them digitally or are you still kickin' it old school with hard copy?

007 06-07-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8665448)
Do any of you still actually buy, as opposed to rent, movies? If so do you buy them digitally or are you still kickin' it old school with hard copy?

I prefer to buy a hard copy when I do buy. I got screwed over by CinemaNow on a online purchase when they pulled the copy off the servers due to the movie studios telling them to. They gave me credit for a new movie but I wanted that movie.

Not ready to take the plunge to non hard copy because of that.

when I do rent though, it is almost always Redbox. Someday hopefully the online market will lower their prices to the redbox level.