ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Looking for a good juicer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260684)

OnTheWarpath15 06-20-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 8691171)
What kind of juices? I did one for 2 weeks in February and lost 12 lbs. I did one for 10 days a couple weeks ago and broke it after I lost 10 lbs. I found it to be mentally taxing.

Carrot + Apple = Amazing.

QuikSsurfer 06-20-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8690946)
Do you just want the juice or do you want the fiber, too? A Vitamix will destroy everything in its path and make it juice. I love mine.

What Vitamix model do you use??

Toadkiller 06-20-2012 02:14 PM

I did entirely just juice for 30 days. And I am not a skinny non food liking guy. I love my beer, I love smoking things on my smoker and I love to eat. I highly recommend a fast to anyone. Maybe not the 30 day, but why not a 5 day or 10 day. See how it makes you feel.

The Franchise 06-20-2012 02:27 PM

JFC....these Vitamix ones are $500?

Renegade 06-20-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 8691260)
I think I'm going to do one at least twice a year from now on. With what's being done to food in this country in this day in age I think it's absolutely vital to cleanse your body of toxins. I have lots of people in my family who have gotten diabetes as they have gotten older and I think detoxing your system helps prevent it.

So did this just turn into a poop thread?

Fire Me Boy! 06-20-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8691309)
What Vitamix model do you use??

Vitamix 1723 Professional Series 200

QuikSsurfer 06-20-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8691569)

Well I want one but holy hell that is pricey!!! Better start saving -- I'm very interested in this.

Fire Me Boy! 06-20-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8691619)
Well I want one but holy hell that is pricey!!! Better start saving -- I'm very interested in this.

If you use one consistently, they're worth every penny. If you use a blender once in a while to make a margarita, but that's it... stick with something cheaper.

Bowser 06-20-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8691569)

Christ, 500?

Well, I guess the kid can always go to state school.

Bowser 06-20-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 8691413)
I did entirely just juice for 30 days. And I am not a skinny non food liking guy. I love my beer, I love smoking things on my smoker and I love to eat. I highly recommend a fast to anyone. Maybe not the 30 day, but why not a 5 day or 10 day. See how it makes you feel.

With my goofball schedule, I just don't know if I can pull off an entire juice fast for 30 days. My hours vary week to week, and I don't always have access to lunch rooms. FMB said it isn't a great idea to pre-mix stuff for later. Maybe I can find a way to just replace a couple of meals a day, then snack sensibly in-between.

Fire Me Boy! 06-20-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8691640)
With my goofball schedule, I just don't know if I can pull off an entire juice fast for 30 days. My hours vary week to week, and I don't always have access to lunch rooms. FMB said it isn't a great idea to pre-mix stuff for later. Maybe I can find a way to just replace a couple of meals a day, then snack sensibly in-between.

Pre-blending will work, but it certainly won't be as good or good for you. If you can get a cheap blender at work, make them at home the night before and freeze.

unlurking 06-20-2012 06:01 PM

Did a 10 day fast using a cheap juicer ($60 Hamilton Big Mouth from Amazon). Centrifugal rather than masticating, so you don't get all the fiber, but fiber has never been an issue for me! :D I plan on starting a 2 juice / 2 small meal diet program next week, and only see the fiber as being an issue if you are fasting.

One point regarding storing juice. Don't. Reports vary on how quickly they're nutritional value drops to minimal (1 hour or 48?), but regardless, they taste like shit once they've oxidized. Especially if you incorporate a citrus or other fruit as most recipes recommend, it seems to sour or curdle the whole thing. Blech!

Personally, my primary requirement for a juicer is that it must be fast and easy enough to not change my daily routine much. Otherwise I wouldn't use it. Some of my key concerns:

- Easy to Clean. If you buy a centrifugal unit, make sure to use bags in the pulp receptacle. I can tear mine down and wash with the brush in just a few minutes. You'll not want to use a dishwasher if you use it more than once a day.

- Less Chopping. Buy something with a big mouth attachment. Quartering apples isn't difficult, but dropping a whole one in is just so much simpler.

- Dispenser Height. Skip all those cups/containers that come with a juicer. They're a waste of time. Most of the reviews I read researching multiple juicers was that the cups/pitchers wouldn't seat right (causing leaks or spray during juicing) or last long. My grocery store sells clear plastic cups (Dixie or Solo) with lids. Just make sure your juicer is tall enough to dispense into them. Great for breakfast on the go.

- Organic. I'm not a big organic guy, but with juicing most of the nutrients are in the skins. Just feel a little more comfortable with less chance of insecticides and such since I do a quick rinse before throwing into the juicer.

Favorite Breakfast Drink (Orangesicle):
1/4 Cantaloupe (skinned)
2 Oranges
Handful of Berries
Scoop of Whey Protein Isolate (plain)

EDIT:
Forgot the juicer!

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach.../dp/B000FHQJ6C

Cheap enough to get a "taste" for juicing. If you like it, you can always upgrade to something of a higher quality. Once mine breaks down, I will probably consider getting a higher end masticating unit like the Omegas or a Vitamix.

Bowser 06-22-2012 10:35 AM

This is what got me thinking ......

http://www.nutribullet.com/index.php?r=site/faq

Saulbadguy 06-22-2012 10:47 AM

Why don't you just eat the fruit?

SuperChief 06-22-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8695197)
Why don't you just eat the fruit?

The concept is to put more fruit/vegetables into the juicer than you could spend time eating. Who's going to eat 3 whole apples, a bunch of carrot sticks, peaches, etc. for one meal?