ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics 8 Things the iPhone 5 Still Can't Do (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263874)

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 09:05 AM

lol SWPYE ****ing sucks -- who gives a shit about the majority of this list? I'll admit the micro-hdmi port would be sweet, though.

DaFace 09-18-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8924382)
lol SWPYE ****ing sucks -- who gives a shit about the majority of this list? I'll admit the micro-hdmi port would be sweet, though.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Swype. I'd be lost without SwiftKey, though.

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8924384)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Swype. I'd be lost without SwiftKey, though.

SwiftKey is great. Its prediction is fantastic and really does save a lot of keystrokes.
What kind of phone do you have?

Fish 09-18-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8924382)

I have to agree. I didn't like Swype at all.

And if you want HDMI out for your iOS device, the Apple Digital A/V adapter works very well. I have XBMC on my iPad, and I can output that via HDMI. Very handy for traveling and such. Output 1080p is purtty.

I have no idea if they'll have a solution for new devices using the Lightning connector though. Reducing the pinout like they did has removed the video out functionality according to Apple. That's a hot load of horse shit as far as I'm concerned.

DaFace 09-18-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8924416)
SwiftKey is great. Its prediction is fantastic and really does save a lot of keystrokes.
What kind of phone do you have?

Galaxy Nexus

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924422)

And if you want HDMI out for your iOS device, the Apple Digital A/V adapter works very well. I have XBMC on my iPad, and I can output that via HDMI. Very handy for traveling and such. Output 1080p is purtty.

I have no idea if they'll have a solution for new devices using the Lightning connector though. Reducing the pinout like they did has removed the video out functionality according to Apple. That's a hot load of horse shit as far as I'm concerned.

Sexxxy

DaFace 09-18-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924422)

I'd be dumbfounded if they didn't have SOME way to do video output.

kaplin42 09-18-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8924127)
I still can't ****ing believe I had to install iTunes on my PC and Goodreader on my iPad just to move ONE FILE from the PC to the iPad.

Dropbox FTW.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924372)
Sure. That's Apple's Mobile Device Driver. Go to Programs and Features, and uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support and Apple Application Support entries. That will uninstall the service that monitors USB for when you plug in your device so that it can spring iTunes out of the bushes like a damn burglar. That type of behavior pisses me off..

Sweet, thanks!

htismaqe 09-18-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8924570)
Dropbox FTW.

No internet connection. Mentioned this already. ;)

DaveNull 09-18-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8924453)
I'd be dumbfounded if they didn't have SOME way to do video output.

AirPlay. I use AirVideo to pipe video (any format including AVI and MKV) stored on my server to the TV all the time. Audio too, for that matter.

Plugging a phone or an iPad into a TV across the room seems like ~2003 when I had RCA cables going from my laptop to my stereo.

AirPlay was supposed to be some kind of published standard, but not a lot of AV outfits seem to have picked it up. They're trying to get rid of cables and connectors all together at this point, which is the way of the future.

Quote:

we'd love to be able to carry the same amount of content around with us without having to pick and choose what stays at home.
It's called iTunes match. I can get to all my music whenever I want.

Either of these do require digging a little deeper into the whole Apple ecosystem than just buying one thing without any additional services, but it all works really really well together.

L.A. Chieffan 09-18-2012 12:42 PM

Swype owns. When I pick up an iphone and try to type I get headaches it sucks so bad.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8925143)
Either of these do require digging a little deeper into the whole Apple ecosystem than just buying one thing without any additional services, but it all works really really well together.

What if we don't want all of the additional services? What if we just want the device to work like every other device we have? Oh that's right, Apple can't gouge us for money if they allow that.

I've got the same types of services with Google as well as on my own NAS at home.

Fish 09-18-2012 02:17 PM

This just in.... Apple evidently added a "Laser keyboard" and "Holographic display" to its new model....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6668cxupH98?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silly reporter found an online video of several concept ideas that dont' exist, and went ahead and attributed it to the new phone....

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8925478)
This just in.... Apple evidently added a "Laser keyboard" and "Holographic display" to its new model....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6668cxupH98?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silly reporter found an online video of several concept ideas that dont' exist, and went ahead and attributed it to the new phone....

lol I saw this earlier.. Ohhh Fox. It's like their iPhone research consisted of going to youtube and typing "iphone 5".