ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I think I used up my allotment of luck today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264627)

Old Dog 10-04-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8976227)
I've been having an especially bad week too, if that makes you feel any better....

I look at it as a good thing. I walked away (OK, actuallly rode away after my son in law came and picked up me and the bike) and all I have to replace is the tire. It could have been infinitely worse....AND it gave me something intersting to share....I lead a pretty boring existence.

notorious 10-04-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8975703)
Glad you made it bud. Periodically, I catch a moment when I realize, "damn. I about died." scares the shit out of a man.

You are a farmer. That happens at least once every 2-3 years. :D

Fat Elvis 10-04-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8974552)
I am through with them myself...Seen to many people I know die on them.

Esto.

Now that I am older, when I think back on how many times I was so close to death on a motorcycle I thank God for watching out for me. There are so many little things- from other drivers to mother nature- that are completely out of your control. Sometimes it is just a millimeter or two between you and complete disaster.

R8RFAN 10-04-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8976223)
Good to hear that you're okay. Those kinds of situations are scary.

Oh and R8ers my bike is a 1440 and I'm sure I can get over 100mph easily. ;)

No doubt in my mind... I had a 1984 Honda Nitehawk 650 back in the day and it would top 100

R8RFAN 10-04-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 8976264)
Esto.

Now that I am older, when I think back on how many times I was so close to death on a motorcycle I thank God for watching out for me. There are so many little things- from other drivers to mother nature- that are completely out of your control. Sometimes it is just a millimeter or two between you and complete disaster.

Well just a couple years back a co worker I trained to be a truck driver back in 1997 or 98 left his home on a crisp clear November morning to go on a charity ride, he ran off the road all by himself and they found the Harley on top of him at the bottom of an embankment... He was 36 years old

That was when I decided I was done with them..... To each his own, if that is what a man wants to do thats his business but it's not a part of my life anymore.

Richard_Cuckold 10-04-2012 09:13 AM

Glad you aint dead.
I'd never get on a motorcycle. Just too dangerous imo

Fat Elvis 10-04-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8976273)
Well just a couple years back a co worker I trained to be a truck driver back in 1997 or 98 left his home on a crisp clear November morning to go on a charity ride, he ran off the road all by himself and they found the Harley on top of him at the bottom of an embankment... He was 36 years old

That was when I decided I was done with them..... To each his own, if that is what a man wants to do thats his business but it's not a part of my life anymore.

There was a guy around here a couple of years ago that got struck by lightning and killed while riding....

R8RFAN 10-04-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 8976338)
There was a guy around here a couple of years ago that got struck by lightning and killed while riding....

Holy shit...

Graystoke 10-04-2012 01:04 PM

I think about that scenerio often. Scares the shitter out of me. Your lucky it was not the front tire for sure!

frankotank 10-04-2012 01:53 PM

damn dude....glad you're OK.
I've been riding for 27 years. I ride to work (30 miles) to downtown KC often. always always always watching the other guy. I always make sure I have a way out, never get boxed in. the ONLY time I've ever been in real danger was being young and dumb and doing something stupid....I had the speedometer buried and bouncing on a kawasaki 850 (only went to 85..but still) had to have been doing 100....the whole damn bike just started shaking...shaking badly. I thought I was a goner. let up on the throttle and once she slowed down the shaking stopped. last time I EVER did something stupid on a bike. I have an 1100 now. I don't know how fast it will go. I don't want to know.
riding is awesome. I can't stop. if something happens to me...it won't be because I was doing something stupid. I took a course a long time ago and was shocked at how much they taught me (I'd been riding for years at that point) there are things you can do to be proactive and not get yourself into a bad situation.

FAX 10-04-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8974444)
I heard a kind of, but not extremely loud (think 20g shotgun) pop and then the ass-end started jumping left/right/wherever it wanted to go. I kept thinking about tying one in the back of a truck and told myself, Keep the front stable and the back will be OK....it can't fall over (while also looking for a place to jump if need be). Stayed off of the brake and rode it to a stop.
All in all, not very dramatic, but it scared the hall out of me for a minute.

I agree with you though Scorp, probably better the back than the front. it's the first time that's happened to me in over 25 years of riding as well.

I don't see much good luck in this deal, Mr. Old Dog.

Sounds like the blowout was bad luck and the rest was just level-headed thinking and a real, good job of handling the situation.

FAX

stevieray 10-04-2012 08:18 PM

back tire blew out on my mountain bike yesterday...somehow i think yours was worse i was only going 3mph

glad you're ok!!

Ace Gunner 10-04-2012 08:39 PM

Glad you made it through that. Every day I can ride is a lucky day :D

allen_kcCard 10-05-2012 03:48 PM

t-cloc

Glad you are ok