ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Eddie Van Halen deconstructs his collaboration on 'Beat It' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267337)

Al Bundy 12-03-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9177170)
Eddie Van Halen doesn't know how to spell "Jovan"

Eddie's Too fat/Omaha

stevieray 12-03-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 9177303)
It was common in the olden days for Rap songs to have guitar solos.

"Rick" Rubin..paging "Rick" Rubin

Gadzooks 12-03-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9177310)
The beastie boys formed as a punk band in the beginning. not sure what your point is.

Michael Jackson working with EVH is almost as unlikely as the Beastie Boys working with Kerry King or Reba McIntire working with Dimebag Darrell.
The Beastie Boys were a rap band in the 80's and even in their punk days were unlikely to come across Kerry King.

The fact that Thriller was written by Toto is really whacked out.

Easy 6 12-03-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9177198)
Hope Solo was done by Living Colour.

Yep, Vernon Reid KILLED it.

Frazod 12-03-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9177161)
Most of the songs on Thriller were written by Toto, who also performed most of the album.

Lukather did the original solo for Beat It but it wasn't working. Luke & EVH were buds, which is where QJ got the idea.

Posts like this are why Dane ****ing rules.

Frazod 12-03-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen
I'll never forget when Tower Records was still open over here in Sherman Oaks. I was buying something, and "Beat It" was playing over the store sound system. The solo comes on, and I hear these kids in front of me going, "Listen to this guy trying to sound like Eddie Van Halen." I tapped him on the shoulder and said, "That IS me!" That was hilarious.

LMAO I wish he had expanded on this. I'll bet those kids probably shit themselves.

okcchief 12-03-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9177345)
"Rick" Rubin..paging "Rick" Rubin

Yeah, Rick Rubin produced for the Beasties and Slayer at the time. Not hard to figure that one out.

rabblerouser 12-03-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 9177412)
Michael Jackson working with EVH is almost as unlikely as the Beastie Boys working with Kerry King or Reba McIntire working with Dimebag Darrell.
The Beastie Boys were a rap band in the 80's and even in their punk days were unlikely to come across Kerry King.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9177242)
beastie boys were a punk band in the 80s so not totally out there

Beasties and Slayer were both on Def Jam Records and both were produced by Rick Rubin. Totally not a stretch for them to cross paths in that realm.

As for the Dime/Reba reference...check out David Allan Coe's Rebel Meets Rebel album, for which Pantera is his backing band. Not quite Reba, but quite a departure for Dime, Rex, & Vin all the same.

Egg Raid On Mojo...Egg Raid On Mojo!!!!

Ecto-I 12-03-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Most of the songs on Thriller were written by Toto, who also performed most of the album.

Lukather did the original solo for Beat It but it wasn't working. Luke & EVH were buds, which is where QJ got the idea.

Actually this isn't entirely true...while Toto was involved with some production aspects they only wrote the song "Human Nature" on the Thriller Album. The rest of the songs were written by either Michael Jackson (Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Billie Jean, Beat It, The Girl is Mine) or Rod Temperton.

Brock 12-03-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 9177412)

Quincy felt he needed a killer guitar solo on the record, so it seems weird to you that he'd call up the best guitar player of the era? ok.

The Beastie Boys had a pretty obvious connection with Slayer, so it's even more likely.

alpha_omega 12-03-2012 07:09 PM

I laughed out loud. Good story.

displacedinMN 12-03-2012 07:32 PM

I saw that story too.
Good read and a good laugh when he tells off Quincy Jones

Gadzooks 12-03-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9177542)
Quincy felt he needed a killer guitar solo on the record, so it seems weird to you that he'd call up the best guitar player of the era? ok.

The Beastie Boys had a pretty obvious connection with Slayer, so it's even more likely.

I wouldn't say "even more likely". To me it's just an interesting factoid and an equally unusual non credited performance.

displacedinMN 12-03-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Good nugget there.

Toto IV is a good album too.

Gadzooks 12-03-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9177482)
Beasties and Slayer were both on Def Jam Records and both were produced by Rick Rubin. Totally not a stretch for them to cross paths in that realm.

As for the Dime/Reba reference...check out David Allan Coe's Rebel Meets Rebel album, for which Pantera is his backing band. Not quite Reba, but quite a departure for Dime, Rex, & Vin all the same.

Egg Raid On Mojo...Egg Raid On Mojo!!!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that out.