ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football First down Laser - Yay or nay (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269203)

Groves 01-23-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9343505)
I've thought for a few years they should put RFID chips in the tips of the ball. It wouldn't be foolproof, but it would allow for more precision than the status quo.

But wouldn't be helpful in determining if a player had possession at that time.

bevischief 01-23-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9343505)
I've thought for a few years they should put RFID chips in the tips of the ball. It wouldn't be foolproof, but it would allow for more precision than the status quo.

That is good idea too.

bevischief 01-23-2013 11:30 AM

The NFL should test this out in a few stadiums or have a few colleges install it for season.

EagleRob 01-23-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groves (Post 9344160)
But wouldn't be helpful in determining if a player had possession at that time.

Brainstorming - if the players wore gloves and pads on the inside of the forearms that both had extremely low voltage across them, the chips in the tips of the ball could close a circuit while the ball was being carried. We might be on to something. If only GPS were precise to the inch level...

Dayze 01-23-2013 03:05 PM

For the Pro-Bowl, I'd love for the NFL to implement that the game be played with all the players using Segways on the field.

okoye35chiefs 01-23-2013 03:05 PM

will it effect future spygate videos?

DaFace 01-23-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleRob (Post 9344972)
Brainstorming - if the players wore gloves and pads on the inside of the forearms that both had extremely low voltage across them, the chips in the tips of the ball could close a circuit while the ball was being carried. We might be on to something. If only GPS were precise to the inch level...

Even then, there are issues. How could you tell when the player is down? How do you tell the exact moment possession is gained (or lost)? After all, there are plenty of times when a player might have multiple points of contact with the ball before control is gained.

I'm not opposed to the crazy yellow line gizmo, but I'd think putting sensors in the ball would be a mess.

Dayze 01-23-2013 03:08 PM

I wish there was a way to improve the 'judgement calls'; I friggin' can't stand the spot foul for Defensive PI. Throwing it up and hoping for a penalty, is a play in an of itself IMO.

Sorter 01-23-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9344984)
I wish there was a way to improve the 'judgement calls'; I friggin' can't stand the spot foul for Defensive PI. Throwing it up and hoping for a penalty, is a play in an of itself IMO.

I like it personally. I just don't like how it is called, far too much inconsistency and prevalence during the regular season to call ticky-tack shit. Bowman would have been flagged in the regular season for his play on Roddy White, IMO.

tooge 01-23-2013 03:13 PM

sure, why not

Nightfyre 01-23-2013 03:15 PM

The only kind of first down laser I care about is the one that comes off our new QBs hand. It would be nice to feel like we actually had a chance to continue a drive on third down.

EagleRob 01-23-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9345005)
The only kind of first down laser I care about is the one that comes off our new QBs hand. It would be nice to feel like we actually had a chance to continue a drive on third down.

This

Easy 6 01-23-2013 03:22 PM

Big waste of money if you ask me, put that money to use coming up with a better helmet to protect the players health with, or something, anything else.

KCrockaholic 01-23-2013 03:24 PM

I love the idea. Not sure that it's perfect yet, but the idea is great.

KCrockaholic 01-23-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9345035)
Big waste of money if you ask me, put that money to use coming up with a better helmet to protect the players health with, or something, anything else.

They do that every year, and let's not act like they don't have the money to be able to do both. It's the NFL's pocket book.