ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Jets exploring trade options for Revis? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269235)

BossChief 01-23-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9345683)
Why would he not return to be elite? In this day and age, guys are coming back to be just as good with a new ACL as they were before.

And to be honest, I don't give a **** about the "cap". It can be manipulated either way to make room for guys. Also, it's not my money, so ****ing spend it.

So I'll take the best CB in the league, and draft one later on who can be developed by Emmit Thomas. Hell, you can get a top CB in next years class if you want.

Dorsey also went out and got Charles Woodson, so it's possible. I wouldn't be mad as long as we don't move our first rounder.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:26 PM

And who gives a damn if he wants elite money. If he's an elite player, I'd probably want elite money too.

The guy is 28 or will be when the season starts. 3 or 4 years of elite play from Revis, youve got time to find your next CB.

-King- 01-23-2013 07:27 PM

He's one year older than Brandon Carr. BFD.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9345691)
Dorsey also went out and got Charles Woodson, so it's possible. I wouldn't be mad as long as we don't move our first rounder.

Well, no they can't have the first rounder.

But CB is a huge need. So if you gave a 2nd this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year, you'd be filling a need with BPA so to speak. Yeah, he'd cost more.

MeatRock 01-23-2013 07:29 PM

Do Not Want. Revis won't be the same next year. Can't think of an elite CB that ever came off ACL reconstruction surgery and continued being an elite corner right afterwards.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:30 PM

Especially if you are taking a CB in the 2nd this year, I'd really think about it.

Hell if they would go for it, I'd call the Jets the day after the draft and offer them picks from next years draft. LOL.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9345700)
Do Not Want. Revis won't be the same next year. Can't think of an elite CB that ever came off ACL reconstruction surgery and continued being an elite corner right afterwards.

Same with RB right?

:rolleyes:

Canofbier 01-23-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9345683)
Why would he not return to be elite? In this day and age, guys are coming back to be just as good with a new ACL as they were before.

And to be honest, I don't give a **** about the "cap". It can be manipulated either way to make room for guys. Also, it's not my money, so ****ing spend it.

So I'll take the best CB in the league, and draft one later on who can be developed by Emmit Thomas. Hell, you can get a top CB in next years class if you want.

As others have mentioned, his age has to factor in at least a little. Given the cost, trade for him wouldn't be worth it unless you sign him to a long-term contract. Considering his talent, it would probably be at least 4 or 5 years long, meaning that you're stuck with an expensive corner for at least a few years after he has potentially passed his prime.

Regarding "not giving a **** about the cap", I think you're oversimplifying the idea of moving money and players around. Signing a guy like Revis to an expensive-long term contract doesn't just mean "moving some guys around"; it could mean not resigning someone like Albert or Bowe, or missing out on a highly sought-after free agent.

I agree with those saying that he's a good player and will probably play well for whatever team he's on next year, but I just don't think that it's worth what is sure to be a very, very high cost.

BossChief 01-23-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9345695)
Well, no they can't have the first rounder.

But CB is a huge need. So if you gave a 2nd this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year, you'd be filling a need with BPA so to speak. Yeah, he'd cost more.

Another factor into this is that Sutton comes from the Jets...

MeatRock 01-23-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9345704)
Same with RB right?

:rolleyes:

Corner's have to backpeddle and twist more than RB's.

O.city 01-23-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9345708)
As others have mentioned, his age has to factor in at least a little. Given the cost, trade for him wouldn't be worth it unless you sign him to a long-term contract. Considering his talent, it would probably be at least 4 or 5 years long, meaning that you're stuck with an expensive corner for at least a few years after he has passed his prime.

Regarding "not giving a **** about the cap", I think you're oversimplifying the idea of moving money and players around. Signing a guy like Revis to an expensive-long term contract doesn't just mean "moving some guys around"; it could mean not resigning someone like Albert or Bowe, or missing out on a highly sought-after free agent.

I agree with those saying that he's a good player and will probably play well for whatever team he's on next year, but I just don't think that it's worth what is sure to be a very, very high cost.

You mean like the unquestioned best CB in the NFL?

Length of contracts aren't as important, it's all about guaranteed money. We've paid top dollar to shitstains like Cassel and Jackson, yet some of you aren't ok with paying top dollar for hte best CB in the league?

O.city 01-23-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9345716)
Corner's have to backpeddle and twist more than RB's.

The ACL is all about cutting ability. Which it seems RB's do the most of.

Therefor, if a RB can come back like Charles, AP, etc, I'm really not worried about Revis.

MeatRock 01-23-2013 07:35 PM

I'm not saying in year 2 after the surgery that Revis could'nt return to form, i just don't think he will next year.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-23-2013 07:35 PM

Unless you trade him and sign a friendly extension at the same time, what's the point? In effect we would trade a second rounder for one year of Revis on a rebuilding team and the right to negotiate for a year.

The guy is obviously going to go to whoever pays him the most, so either wait a year and open up the pocketbook (and devote $140 million to CBs) or let someone else trade assets for him.

It's the type of deal fans love and that gets GMs fired: short-sighted band-aids.

Canofbier 01-23-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9345718)
You mean like the unquestioned best CB in the NFL?

Length of contracts aren't as important, it's all about guaranteed money. We've paid top dollar to shitstains like Cassel and Jackson, yet some of you aren't ok with paying top dollar for hte best CB in the league?

You mean the guy who isn't a free agent?

Also, you can't possibly believe that a player like Revis would agree to a contract that didn't include large sums of guaranteed money.