ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The Super Bowl and Roman numerals: a match made in Kansas City (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269542)

Dayze 01-31-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9368183)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WAOxY_nHdew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO
That never gets old

Prison Bitch 01-31-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9368568)
LMAO
That never gets old

It's about as original as Lamar's "idea".....

007 01-31-2013 07:53 PM

I'm sick of the roman numerals. Its stupid.

Just call it the damn Superbowl. No numbers. No anything. Just Superbowl.

Shaid 01-31-2013 07:58 PM

I like the roman numerals. It is part of the Super Bowl culture now. If you don't like it go back to prison and be someone's bitch. Oh wait....

Aries Walker 01-31-2013 08:13 PM

Okay, I was going to try and be all diplomatic, but I don't feel like it.

Hey, dummy.

No one here is contending the fact that the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl and whatever existed before 1971. They did. It's a fact. We all know that.

The Rose Bowl was named after the stadium more than a hundred years ago. The Cotton, Orange, and Sugar Bowls are came around in the '30s. Someone named each one. Were they all hopeless plagiarists and feckless copycats as well? No.

Just the same, neither was Lamar Hunt. In fact, he was the first to call a professional game a 'bowl game' - all of those others, if you'll notice, are college games. He could have called it the Great Bowl, or the Marvelous Bowl, or the Stupendous Bowl; instead, he came up with the word 'Super' because of his kid's toy, made a bad pun, and it stuck. It's all been documented and recorded and accepted by every person who cares about that sort of thing, except you. What is so difficult to grasp about all of this?

So you're clinging to your claim, and looking more like an idiot with each passing post. I don't know why. You could have just "Oh, how about that", and moved on. I'm guessing you don't want to lose face, or you want to Be Right At All Costs, or you're trying to Prove Yourself, or you're just an Internet dolt. I don't know. All I know about you is that you have an unfortunate nickname and you display yourself to the word as a sex-toy gimp.

Crush 01-31-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9368749)
It's about as original as Lamar's "idea".....

It is official: You have the world's largest stick up your ass.

Monty 01-31-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9368795)
It is official: You have the world's largest stick up your ass.

Hence the user name. ROFL

cdcox 01-31-2013 08:54 PM

Kansas City has more fountains than anywhere but Rome.

TribalElder 01-31-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtua Chief (Post 9368522)
I hope not. Why would people be butt hurt? Does anyone call it super bowl ecks el vee eye eye? I think most say super bowl forty seven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9368562)
LOL WUT?

I think that when we get to 50 aka L most people will go full dumb dumb and not realize that L represents roman numerals and the complaints will flow. we shall see in a few years.

Amnorix 02-01-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9369103)
I think that when we get to 50 aka L most people will go full dumb dumb and not realize that L represents roman numerals and the complaints will flow. we shall see in a few years.

Hard core Star Trek fans who are old enough will probably have heard this story, but apparently when they were doing marketing test runs or whatever they do for new shows for Deep Space Nine, they initially had the show named "Deep Space IX".

And people were like "'Deep Space ick?' Why the hell are you calling it that? That's a dumb name."

So yeah, "NINE", not "IX".

:rolleyes:

*note, could be urban legend, but I remember hearing about that very shortly after the show started.

bevischief 02-01-2013 08:31 AM

Wow. Just wow.

mdchiefsfan 02-01-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9368757)
I'm sick of the roman numerals. Its stupid.

Just call it the damn Superbowl. No numbers. No anything. Just Superbowl.

This. There is no AFC Championship 47.

Prison Bitch 02-01-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9369611)
Hard core Star Trek fans who are old enough will probably have heard this story, but apparently when they were doing marketing test runs or whatever they do for new shows for Deep Space Nine, they initially had the show named "Deep Space IX".

And people were like "'Deep Space ick?' Why the hell are you calling it that? That's a dumb name."

So yeah, "NINE", not "IX".

:rolleyes:

*note, could be urban legend, but I remember hearing about that very shortly after the show started.

So Lamar's naming idea for "Bowl" was just lame, and his idea for Roman Numerals was just dumb. What a creative genius that man was.

Crush 02-01-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9369832)
So Lamar's naming idea for "Bowl" was just lame, and his idea for Roman Numerals was just dumb. What a creative genius that man was.

You need to see a proctologist asap.

Aries Walker 02-01-2013 02:01 PM

Off topic: TribalElder, I like your avatar. An underrated actor, that one - although he's Oneida, not Osage, but I don't think he'd mind.