ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life So what am i suppose to say? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271204)

trndobrd 03-16-2013 08:15 AM

Take your pick:

"It's so cool that we share a common interest."

"Um, yeah, everyone in the family has known for years."

"I really want to be supportive and understand. So, is it like two pair of scissors or something?"

"I'm glad you felt comfortable telling me. But I really wanted to know when you are going to have my motorcycle fixed?"

MTG#10 03-16-2013 08:16 AM

"Does this mean you're trying out for the WNBA?"

mikey23545 03-16-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 9505098)
Take your pick:

"It's so cool that we share a common interest."

"Um, yeah, everyone in the family has known for years."

"I really want to be supportive and understand. So, is it like two pair of scissors or something?"

"I'm glad you felt comfortable telling me. But I really wanted to know when you are going to have my motorcycle fixed?"

"Nice tits!"

Rausch 03-16-2013 08:21 AM

"And?..."

jAZ 03-16-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9504941)
Apparently a family member is going to 'come out of the closet' to me in the near future.

I don't why she plans to tell me she's gay considering that she has never told me anything else about her sexuality. I assume it's some kind of cathartic form of self-expression to be herself etc,etc.

She's family, i love her and i want to be supportive, but to be honest i just want to keep the entire process as short as possible. So what the hell am i suppose to say?

i'm gay:

'ok ... good for you'

'whatever makes you happy'

'cool'

'can i watch?'

'is she hot?'

'anti-freeze'

'pics or it didn't happen'

seriously ... supportive, not condescending, not judgmental,not patronizing

what are you suppose to say?

(fyi if you prefer to respond privately, as PM is fine)

Thanks in Advance

Cool that you are asking. Says a lot about your willingness to try to support a faimly member even when you don't feel comfortable about her choice to have the discussion or orientation.

So I start with a non-judgmental question: why treat this as question of someone's sex life?

I mean, I understand why, but my point with that question is to emphasize that I don't think it's exclusively a question of sex life. It's a question of simple human socialization. It's a question of "who do you spend your time with?" "How did you meet them?"

So it seems to me that both the easiest thing for you to do, and honestly, the very best thing for your family member, I'm sure, is to ask the human questions like those above. But also ask her questions about the process she's gone through coming to this point? How did she find out she was gay? What was it like telling her family?

If you ask those kinds of questions, with sincere empathy for, what is fair to assume was a difficult process for her, you will be showing an amazing level of support without having to be all touchey-feely about an issue that is apparently a bit uncomfortable for you.

Rausch 03-16-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9505124)

If you ask those kinds of questions, with sincere empathy for, what is fair to assume was a difficult process for her, you will be showing an amazing level of support without having to be all touchey-feely about an issue that is apparently a bit uncomfortable for you.

It's not about him.

It's about her feeling she can trust him (apparently more than most in her family. As...odd...as that may be) to have her back.

That's it. That's your job.

Love it - hate it - she clearly respects you.

So have her back...

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-16-2013 08:40 AM

I don't know what to say here....

acesn8s 03-16-2013 08:43 AM

I.m gay:

"So, you wanna go pick up some chicks?"

It's an ice breaker before you start damning her to hell or praising her decision or whatever you do.

mikey23545 03-16-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9505124)
Cool that you are asking. Says a lot about your willingness to try to support a faimly member even when you don't feel comfortable about her choice to have the discussion or orientation.

So I start with a non-judgmental question: why treat this as question of someone's sex life?

I mean, I understand why, but my point with that question is to emphasize that I don't think it's exclusively a question of sex life. It's a question of simple human socialization. It's a question of "who do you spend your time with?" "How did you meet them?"

So it seems to me that both the easiest thing for you to do, and honestly, the very best thing for your family member, I'm sure, is to ask the human questions like those above. But also ask her questions about the process she's gone through coming to this point? How did she find out she was gay? What was it like telling her family?

Vote Democrat!

What jIZ really means.

bevischief 03-16-2013 08:47 AM

Go with your gut.

Rausch 03-16-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9505151)
Go with your gut.

:shake:

jAZ 03-16-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9505131)
It's not about him.

It's about her feeling she can trust him (apparently more than most in her family. As...odd...as that may be) to have her back.

That's it. That's your job.

Love it - hate it - she clearly respects you.

So have her back...

Great point.

Ace Gunner 03-16-2013 08:57 AM

how about "you have me confused with someone who gives a shit"

WV 03-16-2013 09:02 AM

Just tell her you can relate completely and then compare notes on cunnilingus.

Buehler445 03-16-2013 09:07 AM

Best of luckbud. That's a tough job.