ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mike Tomlin: Read-Option is "Flavor of the Day" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271325)

GoChargers 03-20-2013 11:00 AM

I'm not so sure the read option is just a fad. Considering how ingrained the option is at the college level now and how the 2000's rule changes have seemed to put a premium on offensive skill players at the expense of the trenches, I don't really see mobile QB's and the option falling out of favor in the NFL anytime soon.

rageeumr 03-20-2013 11:05 AM

I think read option can be viable with the right guy. Wilson is a good example. He just seems to have a knack for avoiding big hits. He is shifty enough to get a lot of glancing blows and he gets out of bounds a lot.

RGIII is the antithesis. Dude is always getting lit up. He won't last running the offense they tried to run last year.

Kaepernick is somewhere in the middle.

I still think you're taking years off a guy's career by running the read option, though. Look at the shelf life of NFL running backs vs. quarterbacks and tell me how often you REALLY want your QB running the ball....

Chris Meck 03-20-2013 11:42 AM

Tomlin's absolutely right. If your QB is a ball carrier, he's not going to last long. Every decade or so, a guy comes along (or in this case, 3 guys come along) and everyone declares that the game has changed-but it hasn't really, not for long. Just go ask Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, and RGIII. NFL really does stand for 'NOT FOR LONG' if you're going to subject your QB to that kind of abuse.
Scrambling to buy time for receivers to clear is one thing. Carrying the ball through the line of scrimmage is another entirely.
These guys will not last long like this.

DJ's left nut 03-20-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9514966)
Tomlin's plan for stopping the read-option is simple. Injure the QBs.

Duh.

There's no way for a defense, which is by it's very nature reactive, to deal with a true 11 on 11 situation; for the defense to have any chance at all, one of those guys has to be taken out of 'coverage'. When the QB can also run, we see the results; trying to put a spy on him puts everyone else at a decided disadvantage.

There truly is only one solution to the numbers game - raw deterrence. Sure - run your QB. We're going to !@#$ him up.

Tomlinson's absolutely right.

Once again - there have been plenty of great young running QBs. There are very few great old running QBs.

Easy 6 03-20-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9515916)
I think read option can be viable with the right guy. Wilson is a good example. He just seems to have a knack for avoiding big hits. He is shifty enough to get a lot of glancing blows and he gets out of bounds a lot.

RGIII is the antithesis. Dude is always getting lit up. He won't last running the offense they tried to run last year.

Kaepernick is somewhere in the middle.

I still think you're taking years off a guy's career by running the read option, though. Look at the shelf life of NFL running backs vs. quarterbacks and tell me how often you REALLY want your QB running the ball....

I pretty much agree with this, you can get away with it more often with the right guy, although i'd say kaepernick is just as good as wilson at avoiding or minimizing the biggest hits, plus his size probably helps absorb some of that better.

But like you say/allude to, even with guys who have the knack... its just a matter of time before they get hulk smashed, and thats really not something a team should want to build their offensive philosophy around, because its going to cost dearly at some point.

To me, the best bet is just have your passer pass and only run it when a play breaks down or a no-brainer opening manifests.

Hootie 03-20-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexSmithDynasty (Post 9515430)
Not sure if you're actually serious. Russell Wilson isn't really that great and out of all notable rookie qb's from this season I expect him to fall back the most from what he did last year.

I bet you plenty of GM's would take Russell over Andrew Luck.

Hootie 03-20-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9515444)
Care to make a wager on such a bold guarantee? If not, reword your post so you don't sound like such a drooling reerun.

what kind of wager? It will always be a subjective statement. I think Peyton is better than Brady. Many don't agree.

I think within two years there will be a debate between who is the best between two QB's...Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers.

BlackHelicopters 03-20-2013 03:04 PM

Tomlin has other worries: Who is Ben raping tonight?

mikey23545 03-20-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9515245)
Yes I can.

I guarantee he is considered the best QB in football within the next 2 years.

I think he wins a Super Bowl next year.

LMAO

Russel Wilson within the next two years:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/293/tombstonecv.jpg

houstonwhodat 03-20-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9515241)
LMAO

Mike Tomlin is ok. I have a hard time giving too much credit to a guy who took over that Steelers team. Pretty sure Ben Roethlisberger and a team loaded with defensive talent could have made me look good as a head coach.

This.

He is right about the read option though.

As soon as someone gets their clock cleaned big time it will come to an end.

Plus next year defenses will have prepared for it.

Joe Seahawk 03-20-2013 06:21 PM

The Seahawks run the read option about 8-10 plays per game, they just work it in to keep the DE on his heels, I think it's brilliant personally, and Russel is extremely good at it.

The Skins and Niners run it too much IMO..

I would love a Superbowl rematch with the Steelers.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-20-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9516382)
I bet you plenty of GM's would take Russell over Andrew Luck.

Sweet mother of ****; did you really type this shit?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-20-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9516404)
Tomlin has other worries: Who is Ben raping tonight?

A raping Quarterback is better than another "nice guy who works hard at his craft"!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze 03-20-2013 09:57 PM

He had 99 problems but an option ain't one

Tribal Warfare 03-20-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9517282)
A raping Quarterback is better than another "nice guy who works hard at his craft"!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd rather have a ****in piece of shit one who sucks the penis, but plays at a HOF level QB then a great guy but is horrible at his job.