ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Cargo Plane Crash in Trashganistan (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272646)

Discuss Thrower 04-30-2013 01:14 PM

I can't imagine going out like that..

Well beyond the recurring dreams.

tooge 04-30-2013 01:22 PM

I'd have just opened the door and parachuted to safety/CP

Beef Supreme 04-30-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9646273)

Not shitting you here. My dad used to work for a major small aircraft company and one of the test pilots that worked there had to put a plane down in a farmers corn field once and had to bail out. The farmer described seeing the parachute pop up from below the rows of corn. He survived and flew my family to California once on vacation.

Not recommending it, however.

cockeyes 04-30-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9645879)
why in the world was the plane pulling up that steeply? there appears to be sufficient space....

Believe this is SOP there, to avoid possible surface-to-air fire

RockChalk 04-30-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9646285)
Not shitting you here. My dad used to work for a major small aircraft company and one of the test pilots that worked there had to put a plane down in a farmers corn field once and had to bail out. The farmer described seeing the parachute pop up from below the rows of corn. He survived and flew my family to California once on vacation.

What do you have against vacationing in California?

mlyonsd 04-30-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9646124)
Its those damn gremlins I tell you. too bad the plane didn't run outta gas before it reached the ground.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jgCyddjG8QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW, Bugs Bunny first appeared in a cartoon 75 years ago today.

Johnny Vegas 04-30-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9646312)
FWIW, Bugs Bunny first appeared in a cartoon 75 years ago today.

dang. I did not know that.

Johnny Vegas 04-30-2013 01:45 PM

Napoleon gives his condolences

http://www.lolriot.com/wp-content/up...ying-hands.gif

Dayze 04-30-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9646273)

LMAO

DJ's left nut 04-30-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9646285)

A guy that was a close friend of my quasi-flight instructor tried to do that and learned the first lesson in setting a plane down in a cornfield the very very hard way:

Always aim for the middle.

He tried to land at the front of the field and one of the wheels hit the fence (I believe it was the fence; could've been a power line). It flipped the plane right as it was about to touch down and killed the guy.

Fence or phone line, the concept is the same - aim for the center where you don't have to worry about that crap. The glide ratio's on small aircraft are truly amazing. Those things will damn near hover so long as the prop doesn't go into that funky retro-spin thing (it has a different name that I don't recall; it essentially cavitates and drops your nose). If you can get to a field, you can get to the center of it.

DJ's left nut 04-30-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9646049)
Maybe a stall but really hard to tell.

Not really. It's almost definitely a stall; the question is why.

I think the load shift caused it. Once that nose went up, there just wasn't enough power to maintain lift.

And when that happens, it's essentially akin to a kite-string going slack. There's no control until you can build your airspeed back up up to create enough lift for your flight surfaces to function again; essentially getting the string taught.

Like I said, the guy almost had it. You could see he had just started to get some stability back when he got it rounded out and you could hear the motors wailing. Give him another 100 feet of altitude and he either gets it back in the air or at least brings it to the ground with enough control to not end up in a fireball.

EDIT: Eh....he'd have needed more than that; he hadn't really started forward yet. Damn that thing went down fast. The guy probably didn't have enough time to comprehend the gravity of the situation before the lights went out.

Donger 04-30-2013 02:18 PM

Ick.

Steep departure, which is normal at Bagram. Looks like a load shift and stall. He (I presume) almost had it right at the end, too...

Altitude is life.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-30-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9646402)
Not really. It's almost definitely a stall; the question is why.

I think the load shift caused it. Once that nose went up, there just wasn't enough power to maintain lift.

And when that happens, it's essentially akin to a kite-string going slack. There's no control until you can build your airspeed back up up to create enough lift for your flight surfaces to function again; essentially getting the string taught.

Like I said, the guy almost had it. You could see he had just started to get some stability back when he got it rounded out and you could hear the motors wailing. Give him another 100 feet of altitude and he either gets it back in the air or at least brings it to the ground with enough control to not end up in a fireball.

EDIT: Eh....he'd have needed more than that; he hadn't really started forward yet. Damn that thing went down fast. The guy probably didn't have enough time to comprehend the gravity of the situation before the lights went out.

almost looks like they were trying to put the gear back down

houstonwhodat 04-30-2013 08:14 PM

Oh well.

Nightfyre 04-30-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9645881)
Almost has to be a load shift, doesn't it?

The pilot had no chance. If the load swings to the back and pulls the nose up that early after takeoff, those cargo planes just won't have the power to throttle up and recover. He did exactly what you do in a stall; dropped the nose to recover lift, but he just wasn't high enough in the air to get the airspeed and pull it out.

Awful accident that was probably a result of carelessness in loading. I don't see anything that pilot could've done to save that plane.

Could be a CG issue, could also be a power management issue. I think if you asked the army, that is a prevalent problem in afghanistan. Bagram is only ~5000 feet though, but depending on temperature, I could see it.