ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV CP knows TV better than WGA (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273689)

Baby Lee 06-09-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9739631)
Plus the people who put together the lists are always going to be of a certain age group and are naturally going to be more familiar with and have more affection for the shows they grew up on.

Tell that to Leonard Maltin. ;)

cosmo20002 06-09-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9739569)
The thing I always liked about Seinfeld was that there was no attempt at anything other than comedy. No special episode. No tender moment. Ne message. Just comedy. It's the first one that I remember taking it to that extreme.

Also, I think the finale (which I would admit was only good and not great) got so much flack because there wasn't a typical series finale. There was no character moving away, no one starting a new life in some way, no babies born, no tearjerker moment. No wedding. I remember at the time hearing people predict that Jerry and Elaine would get married. Its like they never even watched the show.

Baby Lee 06-09-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9739646)
Also, I think the finale (which I would admit was only good and not great) got so much flack because there wasn't a typical series finale. There was no character moving away, no one starting a new life in some way, no babies born, no tearjerker moment. No wedding. I remember at the time hearing people predict that Jerry and Elaine would get married. Its like they never even watched the show.

It also demonstrated how little Bill Maher understood scripted TV.

He griped a little while before the show ended that there were never consequences for the ensembles horrible behavior.

Bull-effing-Shit!!

The sine qua non of the entire show was that every one of their behaviors, intentionally or inadvertently horrible, had consequences. The trial in the finale was a compendium of their misdeeds, no matter how slight or remote.

Difference was, they didn't care. They took their lumps and headed off to lunch.

milkman 06-09-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9739631)
Plus the people who put together the lists are always going to be of a certain age group and are naturally going to be more familiar with and have more affection for the shows they grew up on.

If they are of my age group, and they have any affection for the shows they grew up on, they're morons.

TV through the 60's, 70's and 80's sucked ass, for the most part.

blaise 06-09-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9739657)
It also demonstrated how little Bill Maher understood scripted TV.

He griped a little while before the show ended that there were never consequences for the ensembles horrible behavior.

Bull-effing-Shit!!

The sine qua non of the entire show was that every one of their behaviors, intentionally or inadvertently horrible, had consequences. The trial in the finale was a compendium of their misdeeds, no matter how slight or remote.

Difference was, they didn't care. They took their lumps and headed off to lunch.

If he really said that then he sucks.

alanm 06-09-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9739484)
Debating what belongs where aside, it's amazing to me how much of the list is comprised of shows from the last 20 years. It'll be interesting to think back on this in 30 years. We may well be in the golden age of television right now.

A show shouldn't even be considered for these lists until their off the air for 5 yrs.

Baby Lee 06-09-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 9739823)
A show shouldn't even be considered for these lists until their off the air for 5 yrs.

Only right now, upwards of 20% of the best television made is on air now.

DaneMcCloud 06-09-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9739683)
If they are of my age group, and they have any affection for the shows they grew up on, they're morons.

TV through the 60's, 70's and 80's sucked ass, for the most part.

The best TV shows of the 70's would rival or exceed the best free network shows of today.

In no particular order:

1. Carol Burnett
2. Bob Newhart
3. Mary Tyler Moore
4. Mork and Mindy
5. M*A*S*H
6. Doc (Barnard Hughes)
7. All in the Family
8. Good Times
9. Dallas
10. Happy Days
11. Taxi
12. Barney Miller
13. Welcome Back Kotter
14. WKRP in Cinncinati
15. Sanford and Son

Baby Lee 06-09-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9739880)
The best TV shows of the 70's would rival or exceed the best free network shows of today.

In no particular order:

1. Carol Burnett
2. Bob Newhart
3. Mary Tyler Moore
4. Mork and Mindy
5. M*A*S*H
6. Doc (Barnard Hughes)
7. All in the Family
8. Good Times
9. Dallas
10. Happy Days
11. Taxi
12. Barney Miller
13. Welcome Back Kotter
14. WKRP in Cinncinati
15. Sanford and Son

I'd put AD, P&R and New Girl above all but AitF, Taxi and Newhart. Community, and the cancelled 30 Rock and Happy Endings [for now] are up there with them.

milkman 06-09-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9739880)

In no particular order:

1. Carol Burnett
2. Bob Newhart
3. Mary Tyler Moore
4. Mork and Mindy
5. M*A*S*H
6. Doc (Barnard Hughes)
7. All in the Family
8. Good Times
9. Dallas
10. Happy Days
11. Taxi
12. Barney Miller
13. Welcome Back Kotter
14. WKRP in Cinncinati
15. Sanford and Son

I didn't hate those shows, and early M.A.S.H., along with Barney Miller and Taxi were good shows.

The rest were mind numbingly stupid in many ways.

There's a reason the TV became known as the idiot box.

Oh, and Newhart was classic.

keg in kc 06-09-2013 07:35 PM

There isn't much on "free network TV" these days, because they still try to cater to wide audiences. The good stuff is all on cable, and it has been for at least the last 15 years. Although that's changing slowly as networks include a few shows that emulate what's been successful on cable (Hannibal's probably the most recent example of that).

Direckshun 06-09-2013 10:28 PM

Some of my favorite TV shows were only funny for a couple seasons before the magic wore off.

See: Futurama, Community, Simpsons.

Makes lists like this really, really hard to put up.

Baby Lee 06-10-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9739610)
Posting this mostly because I think it will annoy you that you agree with me.

I CAN'T STAND that Sorkin writing. I would like to like that Newsroom show on HBO, but I just find the dialogue so grating. The phony quick-fire back-and-forth way the people talk to each other, like they are a comedy team knowing they are setting up the other one for the next quick witty line.

Just saw the new ad for Newsroom, and Bigfoot guy calls OWS 'the American Arab spring.'

Yeesh!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-X5pV325adg...1600/wiig1.jpg

blaise 06-10-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9739610)
Posting this mostly because I think it will annoy you that you agree with me.

I CAN'T STAND that Sorkin writing. I would like to like that Newsroom show on HBO, but I just find the dialogue so grating. The phony quick-fire back-and-forth way the people talk to each other, like they are a comedy team knowing they are setting up the other one for the next quick witty line.

Totally agree. No that doesn't annoy me. Yeah, it's just too slick and phony and "Oh, look how clever we all are!"

Baby Lee 06-10-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9740917)
Totally agree. No that doesn't annoy me. Yeah, it's just too slick and phony and "Oh, look how clever we all are!"

I heard they do it all while walking, too.