ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodbye Redskins and Indians and Braves and Chiefs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276491)

BIG_DADDY 09-20-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10001474)
I dunno, I think I would be totally offended if a team was called the Paleskins.

That shit right there is unacceptable.

I dunno, the fightin whities were really popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

CoMoChief 09-20-2013 09:32 AM

stupid

rabblerouser 09-20-2013 09:33 AM

I'm an American Indian, and a lifelong Chiefs fan.

I am also not a pussy.

If the Jaguars moved to LA, we could rename them the Los Angeles Crackers and I couldn't care less.

Of course, that wouldn't be very accurate, but still - you get my point.

KC_Lee 09-20-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10001324)
Native American here.

Europeans killed my ancestors and gave them smallpocks while taking their land and raping their women.

Why should I care about a football team named after my people?

Are you white folks offended at the 'Fighting Irish' stereotypical mascot?
What about the Tarheels? There was a time when that term, too, was offensive to some.
What about the gamecocks? We are ok with using a name that is reminiscent of animal cruelty in the cock-fighting game?

As a society, I think we should be less concerned about a few NA's getting their feelings hurt, and maybe use that same energy to provide assistance to the reservation communities across the country that battle poverty, lack of job availability, alcohol and drug abuse and a poor infrastructure every day. If you really care about these people and want to help them, then changing the name of a sports team is not the way to do it.

I am Irish, and no it does not offend me.

And you are correct on the other two points you make about team names.

Garcia Bronco 09-20-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10001474)
I dunno, I think I would be totally offended if a team was called the Paleskins.

That shit right there is unacceptable.

We do. They're called the Vikings.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-20-2013 09:54 AM

F'ing stupid. Insecure much?

DJJasonp 09-20-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10001324)
Native American here.

Europeans killed my ancestors and gave them smallpocks while taking their land and raping their women.

Why should I care about a football team named after my people?

Are you white folks offended at the 'Fighting Irish' stereotypical mascot?
What about the Tarheels? There was a time when that term, too, was offensive to some.
What about the gamecocks? We are ok with using a name that is reminiscent of animal cruelty in the cock-fighting game?

As a society, I think we should be less concerned about a few NA's getting their feelings hurt, and maybe use that same energy to provide assistance to the reservation communities across the country that battle poverty, lack of job availability, alcohol and drug abuse and a poor infrastructure every day. If you really care about these people and want to help them, then changing the name of a sports team is not the way to do it.

Excellent post.

The problem is, people such as peter king want to SOUND like they care.

Molitoth 09-20-2013 10:04 AM

Another stupid thing:

When brown/black People (born in America) refer to themselves as African-Americans.

JFC, I am not a Swedish American.... I am White, you are Brown, Smurfs are blue... it's just an adjective.

Unless you were born in Africa, and come over to live in America... you are NOT an african American.

Lonewolf Ed 09-20-2013 10:07 AM

I am half Danish and the Vikings offend me mainly because they suck and they wear purple. As a Dane, I realize I am very much a minority, but do my Swedish and Norwegian brothers come and join me in protesting the Vikings? Noooo. :harumph:

Strongside 09-20-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10001606)
Another stupid thing:

When brown/black People (born in America) refer to themselves as African-Americans.

JFC, I am not a Swedish American.... I am White, you are Brown, Smurfs are blue... it's just an adjective.

Unless you were born in Africa, and come over to live in America... you are NOT an african American.

To be fair...there really isn't a negative Swedish connotation that white people use to belittle your heritage...such as the N-word. If there is...please let me know so that I can start using it among friends.

Molitoth 09-20-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10001621)
To be fair...there really isn't a negative Swedish connotation that white people use to belittle your heritage...such as the N-word. If there is...please let me know so that I can start using it among friends.

I didn't say the N-word was ok. I said that there is a difference between "African American" and the description of a skin color.

stevieray 09-20-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 10001621)

curious, you tailgate by Raider Willie?

Strongside 09-20-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 10001634)
curious, you tailgate by Raider Willie?

SE corner of Lot-A. We're the huge group with a keg and large speakers. American flag above a Chiefs flag above a KU flag. Tell Raider Willie to come find me and I'll give him 2 chops to the throat.

2bikemike 09-20-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 10001490)
I dunno, the fightin whities were really popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

I remember this! Our company had a presence on that university. I wished I would have gotten one of those shirts.

BIG_DADDY 09-20-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 10001322)
This is one of the worst ****ing columns ever written.

And here's how the flow chart should look on this issue:

Is your team name a racial slur?
|
|
Yes
|
|
THEN ****ING CHANGE IT

Jesus Christ, it's that ****ing simple. And all this whining about political correctness and "the white man's burden" (what the **** is this, a soap ad from the 19th century?) is utter bullshit. Historical context matters, whether you and your blinded-by-privilege myopic worldview like it or not.

Idiots.

LMAO