ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV Late night bullshit: Your favorite documentary. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277916)

Direckshun 10-25-2013 12:12 AM

I actually DVR Frontline, and this week's past episode was incredibly freaky, about a new breed of bacteria that is growing resistant to antibiotics...

Discuss Thrower 10-25-2013 12:15 AM

Courtship of Rivals

SPATCH 10-25-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10122164)
I did see it.

A very, very sore subject with me, actually. I almost quit football altogether last year because of the book that documentary was based on.

Really, anything by Frontline is amazing.

Same. I'm also now convinced that I have CTE.

Direckshun 10-25-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 10122175)
Same. I'm also now convinced that I have CTE.

I really was thisclose.

Well, I think I was intellectually close. I'm glad the league has made strides, but they need to go farther.

I had functionally quit football last year for about six months. Then April rolled around, and the Combine began, and I felt the endorphins kick in.

It's such a great sport. But the deceptive practices of the NFL were atrocious. Much like SeaWorld's in the OP. For basically the same reason as SeaWorld in the OP...

SPATCH 10-25-2013 12:25 AM

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Hoop Dreams, man. I haven't thought about that movie in a long time.

That's the greatest sports doc of all time. Sports docs begin and end with Hoop Dreams.

saphojunkie 10-25-2013 12:29 AM

Hoop Dreams and The War Room.

Netflix streaming is worth it's weight in gold if you're into documentaries btw.

Direckshun 10-25-2013 12:31 AM

I have the War Room on DVD, actually. God, you guys are making me feel like a huge nerd.

Edit: NO! I have the Control Room on DVD. Nevermind. What's War Room about?

ZootedGranny 10-25-2013 01:49 AM

Thin Blue Line is easily my favorite.

Others favorites:

Fog of War
Dear Zachary
King of Kong
Imposter
Harlan County, USA
Capturing the Friedmans
Overnight

EDIT: Screw it, more recommendations of stuff I've liked:

Queen of Versailles
The Act of Killing
Grizzly Man
Man on Wire
Spellbound
Jesus Camp
Senna
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The World at War
Cocaine Cowboys

I just realized I watch more documentaries than any other genre, and my list would probably run another 20-30 deep, so I'll stop for now.

RINGLEADER 10-25-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10122129)
King of Kong was incredibly enjoyable.

I'm best friends with Billy Mitchell and Walter Day used to live at my parents house!

007 10-25-2013 02:11 AM

Planet Earth. Attenborough version

Silock 10-25-2013 03:26 AM

The Art of the Steal

Senna
The Bue Planet (Attenborough)
King of Kong

Stewie 10-25-2013 03:52 AM

The Civil War
Baseball

Both by Ken Burns

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-25-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootedGranny (Post 10122208)
Thin Blue Line is easily my favorite.

Others favorites:

Fog of War
Dear Zachary
King of Kong
Imposter
Harlan County, USA
Capturing the Friedmans
Overnight

EDIT: Screw it, more recommendations of stuff I've liked:

Queen of Versailles
The Act of Killing
Grizzly Man
Man on Wire
Spellbound
Jesus Camp
Senna
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The World at War
Cocaine Cowboys

I just realized I watch more documentaries than any other genre, and my list would probably run another 20-30 deep, so I'll stop for now.

Winnar.

CrazyPhuD 10-25-2013 04:16 AM

Back when I had Netflix, I used to watch documentaries because it was the only thing 'new' on.

Now I've pretty much stopped watching all documentaries because I recognized what total and complete horseshit most of them are. Outside of a few high quality organizations that actually care about educating you rather than selling you, 'documentaries' aren't worth watching.

In many cases they are effectively just commercials. The only differences are that instead of trying to sell you a product, they're selling you an idea. Ironically commercials are actually held to a higher factual accuracy standard(because documentaries have none).

Too often their job isn't to educate you, it's to sell you and that's just ****ed up. PBS, Nat Geo and the ilk are some of the few that still do a quality job. The rest? I feel better educated after watching a McDonalds commercial.

Fire Me Boy! 10-25-2013 05:40 AM

The Last Exorxism