ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Albert Breer article on paying qbs. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278656)

O.city 11-17-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10194038)
I think much of what Flacco accomplished in his. SB run was due in large part to Anquan Boldin.

At the same time, I think there's only a handful of QBs that could give those opportunities to Boldin.

I am of the opinion that Flacco is overpaid.

He's not a guy that raises the level of play.
He's a guy that needs weapons, who plays to their level.

I agree.

I think he's a guy that when he gets hot can be really good, but I think he's too much of a product of what's around him for me to pay him that much.

BossChief 11-17-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10194031)
Paying them that means you probably lose Houston and or Poe etc.

I don't think those two are good enough for that to happen.

When they haven't had great situations around them, they haven't been a whole lot more than a mistake prone qb.

No way.

It means you let your aging players walk and replace THEM with draft picks.

What you guys are suggesting is that you sell your horse (or let someone less have it for free) so that you can upgrade your cart because you can pull it with a donkey.

O.city 11-17-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10194046)
No way.

It means you let your aging players walk and replace THEM with draft picks.

What you guys are suggesting is that you sell your horse (or let someone less have it for free) so that you can upgrade your cart because you can pull it with a donkey.

5 years a go, I might agree.

If you pay said borderline qb that much you essentially have to hit draft pick after pick with potential eliteish level players.

That's a lot to ask.

BossChief 11-17-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10194038)
I think much of what Flacco accomplished in his. SB run was due in large part to Anquan Boldin.

At the same time, I think there's only a handful of QBs that could give those opportunities to Boldin.

I am of the opinion that Flacco is overpaid.

He's not a guy that raises the level of play.
He's a guy that needs weapons, who plays to their level.

Anquan Boldin is a "b" receiver, as was every other skill position player from that offense.

While I wouldn't ever argue that Flacco is at the same level as the elite guys, he proved he could be a superbowl MVP with "b talent" around him on offense.

Right now, Alex Smuth is surrounded by "b level talent" and isn't doing anything confidence inspiring and is getting 11+ million this year.

O.city 11-17-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10194057)
Anquan Boldin is a "b" receiver, as was every other skill position player from that offense.

While I wouldn't ever argue that Flacco is at the same level as the elite guys, he proved he could be a superbowl MVP with "b talent" around him on offense.

Right now, Alex Smuth is surrounded by "b level talent" and isn't doing anything confidence inspiring and is getting 11+ million this year.

This has nothing to do with Alex smith. We aren't talking about him.

And Boldin is a b wr now, but didn't play like it int he playoffs.

Flacco got hot at the right time. Is that potential worth making him the 2 highest paid qb in the league? Time will tell.

Brock 11-17-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Shit. Give me Boldin and Torrey Smith any day. B level my eye.

BossChief 11-17-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10194069)
Shit. Give me Boldin and Torrey Smith any day. B level my eye.

They sure as **** aren't AJ Green or CJ quality players, thus they are in the next tier.

I think Bowe is just as good or better than either of them...if given a similar QB situation.

O.city 11-17-2013 12:16 PM

It's just an interesting talking point about team building.

Like someone else brought up, if Alex smith had a flacco type run this year and we win a sb, would you give him 20mil$?

I sure wouldn't.

milkman 11-17-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

What Boldin showed is that if you put the ball in his area code, he can make plays.

Flacco used that to his advantage, and without Boldin, he would likely be getting paid a shit ton less.

Personally, there's no way in hell I'd have given him that money, and I think he's well on his way to proving it was a bad investment.

O.city 11-17-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10194086)
They sure as **** aren't AJ Green or CJ quality players, thus they are in the next tier.

I think Bowe is just as good or better than either of them...if given a similar QB situation.

I think Bowe is better, but Torrey is pretty well fit for that offense.

Flacco is a scattershot in terms of accuracy, but can hit more deep balls. So get a big speed wr to go get it, Torrey smith.

BossChief 11-17-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10194063)
This has nothing to do with Alex smith. We aren't talking about him.

And Boldin is a b wr now, but didn't play like it int he playoffs.

Flacco got hot at the right time. Is that potential worth making him the 2 highest paid qb in the league? Time will tell.

Actually, that's exactly what this article is discussing. The merits of winning with "overpaid b level guys" or going to battle with guys like Alex Smith that won't offer you as much, but are cheaper.

milkman 11-17-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10194086)

I agree.

But, as I see it, we are looking at levels.

Rodgers, Brady and Manning are here.

Eli is here

Flacco is here

And Smith is here.

That level just above Smith is not worth the price paid, and Smith isn't worth 11 mil.

O.city 11-17-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10194097)
Actually, that's exactly what this article is discussing. The merits of winning with "overpaid b level guys" or going to battle with guys like Alex Smith that won't offer you as much, but are cheaper.

Good point, my fault.

Bit that brings in a good point. If you put enough premier talent around a guy like smith, which guys like his salary allow you to do, will he gap between those guys and the flaccos be that great?

I dunno, but it's interesting.

O.city 11-17-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10194103)
I agree.

But, as I see it, we are looking at levels.

Rodgers, Brady and Manning are here.

Eli is here

Flacco is here

And Smith is here.

That level just above Smith is not worth the price paid, and Smith isn't worth 11 mil.

I don't know that I put Eli that high right now though. But I agree on everything else.

milkman 11-17-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10194109)
I don't know that I put Eli that high right now though. But I agree on everything else.

The thing about Eli is that he has shown that he can put a team on his shoulders, and has come up big in the clutch more consistently than any other QB.

I can't put him on the same level as the elite guys, but I also won't dismiss his history and drop him to a level equal to Flacco.