ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I cannot believe I just lost my dog. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279250)

frankotank 12-06-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10252240)
shit man. I'm sorry. Dogs are the best. I heard something once that hopefully with help me when my dogs 'check-out'

"as bad as you feel now, you would never trade a moment of all the good times and love she gave to you in an order to ease your pain now".

RIP Dog.

my dad told me this almost verbatim when my Tank died. I said I'd never have another dog cause it hurts too damn much. and that was his response.
great words of advice.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-06-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10252221)
I went through the same thing with a 3 year old dog recently. Fine at 4pm, nearly dead by 8pm. 600 bucks later and it looks like he's perking up and he is going to be fine. He makes it overnight with the vet but didn't last the next day.

Dogs are the best kind of people. I feel for ya bro.

I have never once taken my dog to the vet. Not once in 8 years. I got her vaccinated and fixed at some mobile clinic when she was young. Let her have a batch of puppies first. Why I don't know, but it worked out. She had a skin condition when she was 3 and the vet wanted $600 to do some "exploratory" work to try and find out how much it would cost from there. Yeah, no. Did some homework and found the solution. She just couldn't eat wheat based products. Have to buy special food for her that costs a **** ton of money, but it's cheaper than all the human food I was feeding her.

This is pretty much why. I'm not going to pay hundreds just to have it not work, or lose her the next day anyways. I've been lucky with her. She's 8. Clearly I take good care of her as far as her diet and whatnot go. I clean her teeth myself. I trim her nails, and do what she needs done. As much as I love her, I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars, or even hundreds if it's not something that's going to fix her.

I'm sorry for your loss. Some would say I'm a shitty dog owner after reading this, but she's healthy, happy, and I don't really know what I'd do if it came down to life or death. In that instance, and I hope it never comes, I'd probably shell out the money. It's just money. I can go make more of that. The time I have with her is limited, and I'll remember her for the rest of my life. She is my first dog. And since I have chosen to not have children, she is the closest thing I have. I even let my wife buy stupid jackets, sweaters, and God forbid it, boots for her. She means a lot more to me than just some average pet for a lot of people, and I don't care what anyone thinks of that.

Sandy Vagina 12-06-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10252137)

And we put her down.

I cannot even process how I feel.

She was only six.

Very sorry for your loss. I know all too well how it feels to make that decision and have to suddenly say g'bye to a loved one that falls prematurely ill. Just try to focus on the time you did have, and know that you gave her those years of comfort and love she needed. The feelings of loss and pain will diminish in time, I promise.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/rip.gif

The Franchise 12-06-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 10252262)
I have never once taken my dog to the vet. Not once in 8 years. I got her vaccinated and fixed at some mobile clinic when she was young. Let her have a batch of puppies first. Why I don't know, but it worked out. She had a skin condition when she was 3 and the vet wanted $600 to do some "exploratory" work to try and find out how much it would cost from there. Yeah, no. Did some homework and found the solution. She just couldn't eat wheat based products. Have to buy special food for her that costs a **** ton of money, but it's cheaper than all the human food I was feeding her.

This is pretty much why. I'm not going to pay hundreds just to have it not work, or lose her the next day anyways. I've been lucky with her. She's 8. Clearly I take good care of her as far as her diet and whatnot go. I clean her teeth myself. I trim her nails, and do what she needs done. As much as I love her, I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars, or even hundreds if it's not something that's going to fix her.

I'm sorry for your loss. Some would say I'm a shitty dog owner after reading this, but she's healthy, happy, and I don't really know what I'd do if it came down to life or death. In that instance, and I hope it never comes, I'd probably shell out the money. It's just money. I can go make more of that. The time I have with her is limited, and I'll remember her for the rest of my life. She is my first dog. And since I have chosen to not have children, she is the closest thing I have. I even let my wife buy stupid jackets, sweaters, and God forbid it, boots for her. She means a lot more to me than just some average pet for a lot of people, and I don't care what anyone thinks of that.

I paid $3000 in vet bills for one of my dogs....and he still died 3 days later.

hometeam 12-06-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 10252262)

I don't mind going to the vet for shots, but that's the first time I have needed emergency service.

I knew there was a chance that he wouldn't make it but he was my best friend and I had to try :( It was a local country vet so he charged less than most, and wasn't out to rack me up a huge bill. Still, I lost both my money and my friend.

Just sucks ass all around.

KCFaninSEA 12-06-2013 11:45 AM

Sorry to hear that Bro! It sure sucks when we lose em.

KC Dan 12-06-2013 11:46 AM

My condolences. :deevee:

Mr. Flopnuts 12-06-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10252276)
I paid $3000 in vet bills for one of my dogs....and he still died 3 days later.

Which ****ing sucks. All the way around. Happily paid the money, and it couldn't save him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10252295)
I don't mind going to the vet for shots, but that's the first time I have needed emergency service.

I knew there was a chance that he wouldn't make it but he was my best friend and I had to try :( It was a local country vet so he charged less than most, and wasn't out to rack me up a huge bill. Still, I lost both my money and my friend.

Just sucks ass all around.

I'm the bad guy with that post, not you. I commend you for it. And frankly, if it really came up I'd have a hard time looking my little girl in the eyes and saying "I'll miss you, you're just not worth the money". Believe me, if it came down to it, I probably write that check 10 times out of 10. I'm really sorry you lost your friend.

R8RFAN 12-06-2013 11:49 AM

I am very sorry for your loss... But do you have to put GD in a post about losing your best friend?

bevischief 12-06-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10252163)
Damn man.....that's rough. Sorry for your loss.

This.

The Franchise 12-06-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 10252372)
Which ****ing sucks. All the way around. Happily paid the money, and it couldn't save him.

I'm the bad guy with that post, not you. I commend you for it. And frankly, if it really came up I'd have a hard time looking my little girl in the eyes and saying "I'll miss you, you're just worth the money". Believe me, if it came down to it, I probably write that check 10 times out of 10. I'm really sorry you lost your friend.

Yeah....mine was more of a "shit went down over the 4th of July weekend" and I had to take him to an emergency vet. I'd do it again if I had the money....it's just ****ing paper.

Marcellus 12-06-2013 11:51 AM

That sucks man.

Simply Red 12-06-2013 11:52 AM

oh man, sorry bud.

Direckshun 12-06-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 10252215)
Wow. This is the 2nd one recently, no? I'm so sorry, bro. Jesus. Mine is 8 and I will break down and lose it if she leaves me anytime in the next 4 years. I expect to have her at least until she's 12. At least. You just never know though. We'll get together and toast a beer to her honor. If you need anything, just let me know. :(

2nd one in three weeks.

This was "her" dog. Toby (the late, great boxer) was mine.

He passed away -- but we had two seasons to anticipate it. He had visible tumors, we just waited until it affected his quality of life.

Then we put him down. We had 6 months to say goodbye.

This one was a flash. Gracie was perfectly fine one day, terminally ill the next. No prep time. None.

Direckshun 12-06-2013 11:54 AM

I do want to thank everybody for their kind words. It has helped tremendously.