ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Prayer Request My New Years Resolution - I'm going to quit smoking (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279920)

cosmo20002 12-24-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10309004)
A little background information;

I've been smoking for about a year. I smoke about a pack a day, maybe a little less. I've noticed that since I've started smoking, I get sick easier, I have a hell of a lot less cash laying around, not to mention I hate smelling like smoke, (all my shit smelling like smoke, etc).

I don't want to do the e-vape thing. But quitting cold turkey scares me a little.

Any advice for me? Words of encouragment? I'm all ears, and would appreciate some postive support.

Thanks,
Big Smoke

Have you asked for your user name to be changed? Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing going on if you don't.

Rausch 12-24-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 10309394)
Ha. She's pretty up to date on that. I don't think she's had sex yet, but she's very responsible.

LMAO

Fish 12-24-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 10309048)
Use a carrot to hold in your hand so you get out of the habit of having a cigarette in your hands don't hang around people who smoke.

This is quality advice. Smokers will kick your ass if they catch you faking it with a carrot.

HonestChieffan 12-24-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 10309086)
I quit cold turkey after 14 years. No patch, e-cigs, just decided I was done smoking and quit.

Clear your house of all cigs, lighters, ashtrays, etc. Plan to quit drinking for a while, that's what gets most people restarted. Start working out, with lots of cardio, and set some other non-smoking goals to concentrate on. Things you want to accomplish not things you can't do.

Same here. Either quit or wear an Im a pussy cap

J Diddy 12-24-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 10309288)
Oh I buy hookers as stocking stuffers. Plus hogfarmer can get them for $50 an hour with no drama.

I hope my son never gets on the planet. He'll realize pretty quick that I'm doing stocking stuffers wrong.

BigRedChief 12-25-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10309004)
A little background information;

I've been smoking for about a year. I smoke about a pack a day, maybe a little less. I've noticed that since I've started smoking, I get sick easier, I have a hell of a lot less cash laying around, not to mention I hate smelling like smoke, (all my shit smelling like smoke, etc).

I don't want to do the e-vape thing. But quitting cold turkey scares me a little.

Any advice for me? Words of encouragment? I'm all ears, and would appreciate some postive support.

Thanks,
Big Smoke

there is a massive quitting smoking thread I think started by frazod. I was a Respiratory Therapist for 10 years. Taught a lot of smoking cessation classes. Info and tips are in there.

If you want it bad enough, it will happen.

Rasputin 12-25-2013 12:26 AM

I quit smoking February 8 2013 & the best advice I can give is don't smoke your next one.

If you don't light up the next cig then your not smoking. By far not easy but it can be done if I did it.

go bo 12-25-2013 12:28 AM

if i want to be young again i just have to want it enough, right?

go bo 12-25-2013 12:31 AM

i smoked from 1964 thru 1987, sometimes as many as 4 packs a day and quit, after trying dozens of times...

i used the gum, gradually decreasing over the period of a year (and 100 lb - worth every ounce of it)...

gum, patch, e-vape, whatever works for you...

there's a lot of good advice in this thread...

Phobia 12-25-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10309861)
I quit smoking February 8 2013 & the best advice I can give is don't smoke your next one.

If you don't light up the next cig then your not smoking. By far not easy but it can be done if I did it.

You haven't quit yet. You're on a hiatus. I quit chew 100x. Sometimes for as long as 2 years and then failed again.

Here's the damn secret to the whole thing... This is difficult and I should be charging for this advice. Don't quit smoking. Smoke everything you can get your hands on. That is fine. It's a lot easier to just quit buying it. You can't consume what you can't by. Don't carry that disposable cash with you. Cut up the cards. If you can't quit smoking easily, then just;
quit.
buying.
it.

Fish 12-25-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10309861)

My advice mirrors this. I smoked 2001 - Feb. 26 2013. Tried to quit many times before. What killed me was bumming one just for this or that special occasions. This time I didn't have a single one after deciding I was done. Still haven't had a single cig since then. I had to completely cut myself off. It's just mental determination. Convince yourself that you're done.

Pardon the PSA:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7454/alj.gif

Tacoman 12-25-2013 01:42 AM

I quit 6 months ago, I smoked for 18 years and spent 16 of them trying to quit. It is very difficult. I had really rough go of it quitting. You are lucky that you have only smoked for a year, that is a positive. Quit now and you can legitimately overcome whatever ailments you feel you may be most at risk for. Hopefully you or someone else finds this useful.

Here is my 2 cents on quitting smoking fwiw.

Its ends up being quite complex to successfully quit for good. The following two items are helpful in the short term, but relatively critical to long term success.

It helps to establish some type of exercise routine that you can do often. Perhaps at least 3 times per week at least? Exercising has a natural way of making you WANT to do things like eat healthier and treat your body right. The most difficult thing for me over the years regarding finding success with this transition, was that I always tried to immediately set huge workout goals and expectations for this and want to go rebuild the world in a day with the new non smoker me, and then experience a low and go right back to smoking. The key to the whole thing is consistency. Each day you don't smoke is a victory and victories stacked up on top of each other make for a successful campaign! The exercise can be as simple as walking a few blocks. The key is that it is something of a greater output than what you are currently doing, because every time you do it you will be reminded that smoking sucks and how glad you are that you don't smoke anymore.

Dealing with stress... The fact of the matter if you are truly being honest with yourself, is that there are things that you DO get out of this. Otherwise, its unlikely you would have gotten to the point where you felt you couldn't quit. For me I used it as stress relief, taking a mental vacation from all of the shit I had to get done next, or today, or whatever... The thing about this that is interesting is that everyone does things to take a mental vacation and do things for entertainment/distraction (this message board being a great example of this haha!), but when you are a smoker it is hard to imagine what else you would do to fill that void. You must come up with something to help fill the void and a new outlet for the stress that you will be experiencing. Projects that require attention to detail can be helpful, puzzles etc etc. sometimes when I am stressing out It helps to go sit on the porch for a few min like I used to, I just don't smoke.

With those points in mind for the long term, it is obviously critical to figure out how to navigate the short term successfully since it is the most likely time you will fail, and also by far the most difficult part of the process. I cried several times throughout the process, it was really ****ing hard.

3 days until the chemicals are out of your system. Every minute it seems to get tougher and you become more frazzled the further away you get from your last smoke. Keep it in your mind that after 3 days the physical withdrawals will experience a dramatic decrease. Just focus focus focus, "if I can just make it 3 days it will get easier".

After that

3 weeks to get over the mental cravings. It will be 3-4 weeks to experience the amazing feeling where you realized that you forgot for just even one mini second that you used to smoke. Leading up to that you will probably be extremely anxiety and stress ridden. It gets worse every day. You feel like there is a damn war going on in your brain and your head is going to explode and everyone around you doesn't have a clue really how you feel. You look the same to them as you did last week and the week before, it is your own private 3 week miserable hell. Focus on the exercise, focus on the fact that you just need to make it 3 weeks.

The thing that was the real x factor for me was getting massages crazily enough. I have a lot of back pain that I have dealt with for years, and I decided I was going to chunk out the money and get weekly massages to see if it made a difference. To be honest I wasn't planning on quitting smoking until I got up to leave my first massage.

If you have ever had a massage you can probably recall sometime after having really cloudy or dark urine, it is a great way to "wring out" the toxins in your body. Meanwhile it is super relaxing and stress relieving!!!! I realize having done it how much of a financial commitment it was to get massages every week, but the longterm savings and your health are worth the world. Speed up the process of ridding your body of chemicals and chemical dependance, and reduce your stress at the same time!!! I find it funny that I stumbled onto it so randomly after trying every quit smoking method out there.

Drink lots of water.

Rasputin 12-25-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10309884)
You haven't quit yet. You're on a hiatus. I quit chew 100x. Sometimes for as long as 2 years and then failed again.

Here's the damn secret to the whole thing... This is difficult and I should be charging for this advice. Don't quit smoking. Smoke everything you can get your hands on. That is fine. It's a lot easier to just quit buying it. You can't consume what you can't by. Don't carry that disposable cash with you. Cut up the cards. If you can't quit smoking easily, then just;
quit.
buying.
it.

Well yeah I can appreciate this post Phobs. I first had to stop buying my last pack of smokes saying "this is my last pack" every day. I also couldn't stop coughing it was bad non stop kept me up at night. Enough was enough.

So much better now but I put on weight from icecream bingeing all summer long. I had more craving for icecream I had to stop that too.

Phobia 12-25-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10309998)
Well yeah I can appreciate this post Phobs. I first had to stop buying my last pack of smokes saying "this is my last pack" every day. I also couldn't stop coughing it was bad non stop kept me up at night. Enough was enough.

So much better now but I put on weight from icecream bingeing all summer long. I had more craving for icecream I had to stop that too.

Do you think people who think they might want to quit respond better to the cold harsh truth or pats on the back?

Johnny Vegas 12-25-2013 04:10 AM

Yea you're not gonna quit. Prove it.