ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Pro Bowling: Athletes or just an Elite learned skill? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280984)

Rasputin 01-26-2014 06:01 PM

Bowling
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/...eamKCTat-9.jpg

It's a sport of skill.

|Zach| 01-26-2014 06:06 PM

Bowling being a sport...or guys in it being athletes I get people saying "yes" or "no" to either but if your answers for bowling are different than golf then that is where people get it wrong.

Pro bowlers are very similar to pro golfers in skill. Very similar skill sets.

|Zach| 01-26-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 10394635)
One of the original Microsoft employees (like #105 or something) bought the PBA a few years ago. Got the entire league for $5 million. Since then it seems like it has grown again in popularity. I bet it was a good investment overall.

They have had to tone it down more and more over the years. Not sure it is growing in popularity but having said that it was probably not a bad investment.

Rain Man 01-26-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10394435)
That might just barely be interesting enough to watch.

Every time there's a lead change the drivers have to do a shot. I might watch that.

Rain Man 01-26-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10394710)
They have had to tone it down more and more over the years. Not sure it is growing in popularity but having said that it was probably not a bad investment.

So...bowling was too flashy? That was bowling's problem?

Valiant 01-26-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10394258)
Pro golfers have to be jn reasonably good shape because they have to walk.

The actual art of hitting a golf shot is up for debate of it just being a learned skill or being athletic enough to make a shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

If walking for five miles over a couple hours is considered good shape?

Doesnt really explain why young asian girls and old men have comparable scores.

It is a talent and skill but not athletic. Now if there was a time limit to were they had to sprint, yes.. Actually I might watch that.

Valiant 01-26-2014 06:38 PM

Nascar would be a sport if they had to get out themselves, change their tires and refuel.

|Zach| 01-26-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10394723)
So...bowling was too flashy? That was bowling's problem?

They paired down the scope of the "tour" haha.

Deberg_1990 01-26-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10394751)
Nascar would be a sport if they had to get out themselves, change their tires and refuel.

LOL. Yea.

What about Equestrian? How much recognition do the horses get?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dunerdr 01-26-2014 06:56 PM

I actually bowled competitively in high school. It's a learned ability. Not anyone can be good but it's not an athlete status kind of thing.

Valiant 01-26-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10394758)
LOL. Yea.

What about Equestrian? How much recognition do the horses get?
Posted via Mobile Device

You know, I actually enjoy seeing those thoroughbreds run. Muscle in motion is a beautiful, god that sounded gay. But seriously ****ing race horses rock.

J Diddy 01-26-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10395146)
You know, I actually enjoy seeing those thoroughbreds run. Muscle in motion is a beautiful, god that sounded gay. But seriously ****ing race horses rock.

It's only gay if you are admiring male horse muscles.

morphius 01-26-2014 09:22 PM

Having a 212 average myself, I still consider it a game, just like golf. To qualify for the TV games, these guys have to bowl a lot of games during the week. Lot of pressure on your fingers, wrists, shoulder and even a bit on the legs. One night of 3 games and warm up you can feel the heat coming off my fingers for a few hours, it's pretty crazy.

kcxiv 01-26-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 10395255)
Having a 212 average myself, I still consider it a game, just like golf. To qualify for the TV games, these guys have to bowl a lot of games during the week. Lot of pressure on your fingers, wrists, shoulder and even a bit on the legs. One night of 3 games and warm up you can feel the heat coming off my fingers for a few hours, it's pretty crazy.

I sucked at bowling but hears ago we started to go a lot and the finger tips after a few days in a row of bowling hurt bad, lol. There was a lot of pain involved I was shocked.

morphius 01-26-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10395284)
I sucked at bowling but hears ago we started to go a lot and the finger tips after a few days in a row of bowling hurt bad, lol. There was a lot of pain involved I was shocked.

I've been bowling finger tip for longer than I'd like to admit, lol. I actually had both my fingers bend backwards a couple of years ago, that was some real pain. Took months before I could throw a ball normal.